Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: The "Dominion Middle Finger"  (Read 20153 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Re: The "Dominion Middle Finger"
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2015, 04:26:56 pm »
+5

I pretty often resign the moment I see my opponent has enough coin and buys to win.

One exception is if I think it's a non-obvious enough ending that he might not see it, but that's pretty rare

That's pretty rude. I've done it a few times before, but I regret it. It's like, you couldn't wait for this one last turn to be over? Some players like to have the satisfaction of finishing the game.

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
  • Highest Rank/Rating: 58/5600
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2015, 04:37:09 pm »

I pretty often resign the moment I see my opponent has enough coin and buys to win.

One exception is if I think it's a non-obvious enough ending that he might not see it, but that's pretty rare

That's pretty rude. I've done it a few times before, but I regret it. It's like, you couldn't wait for this one last turn to be over? Some players like to have the satisfaction of finishing the game.

I don't see what's wrong with resigning. It saves the winner time, it saves the loser time. Slowplaying would fall under the category of "rude." One of my biggest accomplishments is getting my opponent to resign. The free rating is the cherry and the caramel on top.
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2015, 05:16:23 pm »
+2

Resigning is fine.  But when I'm playing out my turn and I'm going to end the game with a win, if my opponent resigns it feels like getting interrupted in the middle of a sentence or something.  I wouldn't call it rude, maybe just impolite.  And certainly unnecessary.  How much time could such a resignation possibly save?  You really can't take an extra 5-10 seconds out of your day to let me finish my turn?

(P.S., this comment is not directed at Gherald specifically).

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2015, 05:18:46 pm »

I wouldn't call it rude, maybe just impolite.

rude: adjective
1. discourteous or impolite, especially in a deliberate way

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2015, 05:25:53 pm »

Resigning is fine.  But when I'm playing out my turn and I'm going to end the game with a win, if my opponent resigns it feels like getting interrupted in the middle of a sentence or something.  I wouldn't call it rude, maybe just impolite.  And certainly unnecessary.  How much time could such a resignation possibly save?  You really can't take an extra 5-10 seconds out of your day to let me finish my turn?

It is quite common in chess to resign before the point of actual checkmate. When you can see 4-5 moves ahead and it is inevitable, resignation is not really a big deal. Now if someone has a 20-card megaturn with 1 or 2 provinces left then it's not really helping me or my opponent by resigning 10 seconds early. I'm talking about resigning 3 minutes before the game would end when you are down 15-20 or so.

Case in point: http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20150310/log.50ab1a76e4b02bf1d5a3c855.1426007165773.txt

Why would you keep playing this game and not just resign? You and your opponent could have played another game-and-a-half.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 05:31:08 pm by Flip5ide »
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2015, 05:30:45 pm »
+1

It is quite common in chess to resign before the point of actual checkmate. When you can see 4-5 moves ahead and it is inevitable, resignation is not really a big deal. Now if someone has a 20-card megaturn with 1 or 2 provinces left then it's not really helping me or my opponent by resigning 10 seconds early. I'm talking about resigning 3 minutes before the game would end when you are down 15-20 or so.
Well that's pretty clearly not what gherald or jaybeez are talking about. In chess you wouldn't resign they have checkmate the next turn even though they've been clearly winning for a long time (okay, I have had opponents do this before, and I was mildly annoyed. It clearly wasn't a time-saving thing, since I had been up decisively for quite some time). The same in Dominion, I don't think it makes sense to resign when your opponent will be ending it on their next turn.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2015, 05:37:36 pm »

Well, if you have enough buys and coins already and you're still not done with your turn, I'm not going to wait and see how long you're planning to keep SHADding me.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2015, 05:40:27 pm »

Well, if you have enough buys and coins already and you're still not done with your turn, I'm not going to wait and see how long you're planning to keep SHADding me.

Because you're a rude dude.

I mean, I understand what you're saying. And if you're playing against an expert player and know that he's just showing off, then sure, quit. But if your opponent isn't an expert and it doesn't occur to them to just end the game early, then it's pretty bad form to just shut the game down on the last turn.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2015, 05:44:05 pm »

I think it's fine to resign if you know your opponent is about to win. I don't do it often because I know some players don't like that, but I don't mind my opponents resigning. That's more time for me to do something else. On another point, it annoys me when I have a huge point lead (like I have 50% of possible points), and the opponent keeps going turn after turn even though there is no way he can possibly win.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2015, 05:51:42 pm »

I think it's fine to resign if you know your opponent is about to win. I don't do it often because I know some players don't like that, but I don't mind my opponents resigning. That's more time for me to do something else. On another point, it annoys me when I have a huge point lead (like I have 50% of possible points), and the opponent keeps going turn after turn even though there is no way he can possibly win.

I guess people just play Dominion for different reasons. I never mind if I'm way ahead. I still enjoy building my deck and seeing it all come together. If I am at a severe disadvantage early on, I will sometimes resign and not feel bad about it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2015, 05:53:28 pm »
+1

I mean, I understand what you're saying. And if you're playing against an expert player and know that he's just showing off, then sure, quit. But if your opponent isn't an expert and it doesn't occur to them to just end the game early, then it's pretty bad form to just shut the game down on the last turn.

Usually I am playing against an expert player.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2015, 06:21:46 pm »

You seem to care an awful lot about not hurting other people's feelings to call someone else a "rude dude."

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2015, 06:23:28 pm »

You seem to care an awful lot about not hurting other people's feelings to call someone else a "rude dude."

I may also be a rude dude. ;D

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2015, 06:25:24 pm »
+2

Oh good, we needed to have this discussion again.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2015, 06:39:59 pm »
+3

Oh good, we needed to have this discussion again.

How rude.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2015, 06:46:55 pm »
+12

There's two sorts of players on Dominion online, those that stay until the end of the game, and those that
-pacovf has disconnected-
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2015, 06:48:46 pm »
+1

There's two sorts of players on Dominion online, those that stay until the end of the game, and those that
-pacovf has disconnected-

Harrumph!  Sir, I shall be writing a sternly worded thread on the forums today, I tell you!
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.