Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Gallery of Fan Cards  (Read 5260 times)

A7A

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
Gallery of Fan Cards
« on: March 09, 2015, 05:16:39 pm »
+1

So if I'm interested in fan cards, do I search these forums and contact users when links are broken, or is there an easier way to do this? What if I wish to print the variant cards, do I just do it in the often low resolution which is provided, or has anyone actually made a gallery of sorts with fan cards somewhere in higher resolution and all? Is there a system to all of this madness, or is it just rummaging through old topics in hopes of finding stuff which might work?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Gallery of Fan Cards
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 05:24:20 pm »
+4

There isn't an overarching system for all fan card ideas in this subforum, but that's probably for the best.  Most posts here are just off-the-cuff ideas that haven't been tested.  If something looks interesting, just proxy it and see how it plays.  And if you are able, come back to that thread and post about your experience.

If you want to go through the trouble of printing hi-res versions of fan cards, the best choices are already pretty well organized.  Check out LastFootnote's thread for his fan expansion, which is probably the best tested fan expansion, period.  And it's still a work in progress.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 12:22:03 pm »
+3

There were tries to collect all fan cards in one thread here, but as eHalcyon said, that encountered some problems. Most cards don't even have pictures. Either way, i'm pretty sure most fan card designers will happily link you to their cards. Besides LastFootnote's Enterprise, there's at least three more threads with cards that have images on the first page (Resurgence, Roots and Renewal, my humble bunch of cards).

Those are not all existing fan cards with images, and most definitely there are vast amounts of good fan cards that never got images. You might also want to check out the participants and winners of the mini set design contest subforum. That should keep your printer busy for a while ;)

Edit: I should probably have mentioned the winners of the design contest DO have images (or at leastfor the most part).
Edit 2: Oops, it seems that Resurgence doesn't have images. Stupid me.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 05:01:58 pm by Asper »

A7A

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 12:40:23 pm »
+2

Thanks! Yeah I saw the Enterprise thread and also the guide for fan cards. I might find pictures for cards myself, if I just wrap my head around how to put them in a Dominion template. I think I saw something about a tool for that mentioned somewhere?

It would be cool though with a "gallery" of fan cards which people could vote on, so that a ranking system would emerge, with the most popular cards on top, easily accessible.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 08:11:04 pm »
+4

Thanks! Yeah I saw the Enterprise thread and also the guide for fan cards. I might find pictures for cards myself, if I just wrap my head around how to put them in a Dominion template. I think I saw something about a tool for that mentioned somewhere?

It would be cool though with a "gallery" of fan cards which people could vote on, so that a ranking system would emerge, with the most popular cards on top, easily accessible.

LastFootnote has a template for fan cards, which he was kind enough to share with some of us. I once had my own selfmade template, but let's just say that i never looked back.

I'm not sure what others would say about rankings, but i personally consider my cards being constantly "work in progress", which means that i'd like to care more about improving them then about having a competition. As i mentioned, there were some fan card design contests (but none currently), so i guess that's where we have room for competition.

A gallery of sorts would be cute, though. We COULD have a list of links to threads where certain fan card designers keep their cards around, but that would miss out occasional clever cards by people who don't commonly create fan cards. Or you could just collect all the cards you like in a thread of your own. I bet nobody would mind if you put their card in your "like" list ;)

A7A

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 09:30:03 am »
+2

Hehe let's see how OCD I'll get about all of this. I do have a history with excel and lists in general. :P

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1683
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 08:03:49 pm »
+2

I think having a thread linking all the fan card expansion/collection threads would be cool.  I do intend to get images up for my cards eventually for people to use, but it's not as high priority for me because I print them as text-only (adding images uses more ink, printer ink is expensive and I'm kindof poor). Would it benefit anyone to post my text-only versions? (I keep them in a .doc file.)

In any case, people are still welcome and encouraged to print and use my fan cards:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=11098.25
EDIT 4/15: Added some card images (more to come).

EDIT: Can someone find that post with the best fan card template and sticky it?  I just spent about half an hour looking for it.
EDIT:  http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=11039.msg375435
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 10:20:54 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 06:19:09 pm »

Why is Showdown's template so much bigger than the actual cards?  Shouldn't it be actual card size?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 10:07:48 pm »
+1

Why is Showdown's template so much bigger than the actual cards?  Shouldn't it be actual card size?

Not sure what you mean.  We have no idea what size the actual cards are in the digital files.  The printed size is a different thing, and its relation to digital size is governed by DPI.  You can take a 1000x1000 image and print it at just under 14"x14" at 72 pixels/inch, or 3.33"x3.33" at 300 pixels/inch, or whatever else you want.  When you scan a physical card, it depends on how good your scanner is and what settings you use.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 12:19:37 am »

okay, good. I'm not planning on printing the photoshopped versions of the cards, but I wondered why they seemed to be much bigger than actual card size, and I wanted them to be printable if anyone else wanted to use them.
What's DPI?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 12:35:00 am »
+1

okay, good. I'm not planning on printing the photoshopped versions of the cards, but I wondered why they seemed to be much bigger than actual card size, and I wanted them to be printable if anyone else wanted to use them.
What's DPI?

Dots Per Inch.  I may be using it somewhat erroneously, but here's the wikipedia article.  The main thing to understand is that there isn't a direct translation between physical printed size and the size of an image on the computer screen.  When you take an image, you have to choose a pixels-per-inch resolution.  If you choose a higher value, you squeeze more pixels into each physical inch.  This means a smaller printed image, but also higher quality.  For most purposes, 300 DPI is more than enough.

My erroneous usage is mainly due to confusion between DPI and PPI.  They are used differently as technical terms, but amateurs (of which I am one) tend to use them interchangeably.  With a quick google search, this may be a good primer to understand all this.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 12:36:39 am by eHalcyon »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 12:38:52 am »

I didn't know about that. obviously. thank you for (slightly) expanding my horizons.

Showdown35

• Golem
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 01:27:55 am »

Indeed, my template is formatted at 300x300 DPI, which is why the images look so big on a computer screen. As long as when you print, you ensure you are printing at 300x300 resolution, the resulting printed card will be the size of an actual Dominion card.

The higher the resolution, the better quality you get from the print-out because more data (pixels) is being squeezed into each square inch, when displaying on a screen, a pixel is a pixel, so higher resolution ends up with large looking images. There's a big difference between what a screen can display and what a printer can print, quality-wise.

If you aren't too concerned about printing quality, you can always adjust the resolution of the template in photoshop. Default resolution of a new photoshop file, and most .jpg images, is 72 DPI.
Check out my Dominion Fan Card Template for Photoshop  here

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 02:34:17 am »

For printing I tend to use 150.  72 is too low quality but 300 is more than I need when I'm printing with a cheap home printer.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.