Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Dominion Rebalanced?  (Read 11181 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Rebalanced?
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2015, 02:50:23 pm »

I don't really think I'm good enough at the game to suggest balancing changes, but if I had to, I would probably see if there is some way to tweak Rebuild slightly.

I don't think there is. Rebuild is fundamentally flawed because it bypasses the process of building up your deck. That's the entire concept of the card: turning little Victory cards into bigger ones directly. And since building up your deck is the fun part of the game, a card that obviates the need to do that is going to either be too weak to buy or really boring to play.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2015, 03:12:32 pm »

How has no one mentioned DoubleJack? Or is that not a thing anymore?

Jack has many other uses too and can be used in other decks.  You would probably go for Double Jack if the board was already a Big Money board.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

A7A

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2015, 10:20:01 am »

Heh, missing turn 1-2 buys on reshuffle, yeah, balancing individual cards won't change that... Maybe I just haven't played enough, since I read someone with like 3000+ posts on this forum claim that mid-to-endgame was (sadly, they seemed to imply) the most important part of the game, whereas right now I sometimes feel that it's the opposite and runaway leading is the biggest issue (exacerbated by some specific cards which are very good at the beginning of the game, but also just in general due to shuffle luck).

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2015, 11:02:12 am »

Heh, missing turn 1-2 buys on reshuffle, yeah, balancing individual cards won't change that... Maybe I just haven't played enough, since I read someone with like 3000+ posts on this forum claim that mid-to-endgame was (sadly, they seemed to imply) the most important part of the game, whereas right now I sometimes feel that it's the opposite and runaway leading is the biggest issue (exacerbated by some specific cards which are very good at the beginning of the game, but also just in general due to shuffle luck).

The beginning of the game is the most important, and I think winning at Dominion is largely about getting runaway luck. But the running away isn't as easy as it might first appear (and in some boards is very complicated) and that makes the middle and endgames very important also. At all skill levels people can botch up big early leads from favorable luck or early choices, I just watched it happen in the World Cup finals.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 11:03:30 am by Mic Qsenoch »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2015, 11:39:38 am »

I don't really think there's a phase in the game that's more important than the others. Sometimes your opening buys and early luck will make a huge difference, sometimes your mid-game choices and luck will, and sometimes it all comes down to end game tactics and shuffles. The earlier you make a small mistake, the longer it will affect you negatively; the later you make a small mistake, the faster its negative effects will accumulate — in the very late end game, it's possible to make a small mistake that immediately costs you the game on your opponent's next turn (well, I guess you could argue that it's a pretty big mistake then, but it's very easy to make a mistake such as forgetting that Count can gain Duchies, and lose because of it).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.