Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Remodel/Vault category - let's give it a name!  (Read 22358 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
Re: Remodel/Vault category - let's give it a name!
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2015, 11:27:18 am »
+1

Do we really need a term for it? This strikes me as not dissimilar to the thread Adam had a few weeks ago about terminology, where my stance (and that of others), was that if the thing doesn't grow up naturally, it's not going to be good.

aka, forcing memes is bad.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2015, 11:34:32 am »
+3

Do we really need a term for it? This strikes me as not dissimilar to the thread Adam had a few weeks ago about terminology, where my stance (and that of others), was that if the thing doesn't grow up naturally, it's not going to be good.

aka, forcing memes is bad.

Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2015, 11:36:56 am »

My dastardly plan worked too well and I indoctrinated myself.  I now just naturally think in a dichotomy of hard and soft terminals. :(
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2015, 11:42:23 am »
+1

My dastardly plan worked too well and I indoctrinated myself.  I now just naturally think in a dichotomy of hard and soft terminals. :(

Well, seems you are now a...

DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

terminalCopper

• Explorer
  • Respect: +758
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2015, 12:01:40 pm »
+5

Exactly.

And the reason why no terminology has grown naturally yet is pretty simple: collisions still really suck. Two remodels want to remodel two estates, not one remodel. You want to use your second vault as a vault, not as a copper.  Both consolation prizes are way too awful to legitimize a special terminology.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2015, 12:37:16 pm »

And the reason why no terminology has grown naturally yet is pretty simple: collisions still really suck. Two remodels want to remodel two estates, not one remodel. You want to use your second vault as a vault, not as a copper.  Both consolation prizes are way too awful to legitimize a special terminology.

Not really. I don't think it's usually a good idea to buy more Remodels so that you can Remodel Remodels, but Vault's discard-for-benefit ability most certainly makes you want to buy more Vaults than you would buy, say, Moats. The reason why the terminology hasn't grown naturally is that the strategic functionality of these types of terminals compared to others is useful when thinking about what you can do with that particular card, but not really very useful when thinking about Dominion strategy in general — i.e. if we're talking about playing Vault/big money, we can say things like "you want to buy at least 3 Vaults", but if we're talking about a card/situation/strategy X, we never say things like "in general, X works well with Remodel/Vault type cards". The principle of "you (might) want to buy more copies of Remodel/Vault type terminals than other terminals" is present in the former statement, but you can communicate the thought without using a term for Remodel/Vault type cards (actually, it's more convenient, too) since you're just referring to a particular card of that type.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 12:39:04 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2015, 12:41:41 pm »

I think the only real 'soft collision' is stuff like Courtyard and Count.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.