Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Remodel/Vault category - let's give it a name!  (Read 22360 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Re: Remodel/Vault category - let's give it a name!
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2015, 04:33:58 pm »
+1

I like soft terminals. So that's what my "something else" vote goes to.

Happy First Post, by the way!
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2015, 04:38:28 pm »
+1

I don't like the term "soft terminals". It makes it sound like they're not quite as terminal as other terminals, but they do terminate your Action chain as much as any other terminals do.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2015, 04:51:15 pm »

I could see it being a sub-category on the terminals page, although Donald slipped in that he thinks of terminals, spammable terminals (for want of a better word), cantrips, and villages as four main and distinct categories.
Well obv. lots of villages are cantrips.

CFB - card for benefit. Wait, FB, for benefit.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2015, 04:54:47 pm »
+1

Playing one action per turn is extremely simple and opens the door for making cards like Village and Spy (and less obviously, Remodel and Vault and Bank and Gardens).
Right, Bank is spammable because it doesn't use an action, and then with Gardens you live with some collisions. I don't have a category for Gardens though, it's not common enough. It's on the VP list, and in parentheses for player interaction.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2015, 04:55:33 pm »

"Collision-resilient"? "Collision-tolerant"?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2015, 05:06:29 pm »
+8

Do we really need a term for it? This strikes me as not dissimilar to the thread Adam had a few weeks ago about terminology, where my stance (and that of others), was that if the thing doesn't grow up naturally, it's not going to be good.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2015, 05:14:10 pm »

Do we really need a term for it? This strikes me as not dissimilar to the thread Adam had a few weeks ago about terminology, where my stance (and that of others), was that if the thing doesn't grow up naturally, it's not going to be good.

I dunno, I think I might start using "soft terminal" where appropriate.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2015, 05:35:29 pm »
+1

Is "blue dog" really natural though? Terminology is really one of those things where you find it when you stop looking for it. Any attempt to formally decide on terminology, say with a vote, is likely to fail. Do we use the term "Vanillage". Did we agree on what level City reaches when 1 pile is empty?

Based on this reasoning, my guess is this category is doomed to be referred to as the " Remodel/Vault" whenever it is brought up because that was the term that caught everyone off guard.

Remodel/Vault, immortalizing a connection that is worthy of a "what's missing" thread. The most memorable thing about it is how weird it sounds, just like the Navigator/Royal Seal synergy. It might become a classic.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2015, 05:44:02 pm »
+2

But just for kicks, I'd nominate "cannibals" to refer to this category. I'm not even going to explain it, thus emphasizing that this is not a joke.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2015, 05:45:17 pm »
+2

Do we use the term "Vanillage". Did we agree on what level City reaches when 1 pile is empty?

It's obviously a 1-pile City.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2015, 06:00:48 pm »
+2

Is "blue dog" really natural though? Terminology is really one of those things where you find it when you stop looking for it. Any attempt to formally decide on terminology, say with a vote, is likely to fail. Do we use the term "Vanillage". Did we agree on what level City reaches when 1 pile is empty?

Based on this reasoning, my guess is this category is doomed to be referred to as the " Remodel/Vault" whenever it is brought up because that was the term that caught everyone off guard.

Remodel/Vault, immortalizing a connection that is worthy of a "what's missing" thread. The most memorable thing about it is how weird it sounds, just like the Navigator/Royal Seal synergy. It might become a classic.

You don't understand. On the surface, this thread might look like we are trying to find a word to designate terminal actions that minimize the impact of terminal collision. But, if you read between the lines, it will become apparent that what is really being discussed here is the ageless conflict between prescriptivism and descriptivism.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2015, 06:02:22 pm »
+1

You don't understand. On the surface, this thread might look like we are trying to find a word to designate terminal actions that minimize the impact of terminal collision. But, if you read between the lines, it will become apparent that what is really being discussed here is the ageless conflict between prescriptivism and descriptivism.
Yes, I clearly didn't see that angle of this discussion.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2015, 06:58:57 pm »
+2

Did we agree on what level City reaches when 1 pile is empty?
All I remember is that two empty piles is max boomtown.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2015, 08:09:19 am »

Now when we have soft terminals, I feel the urge to add a couple more equally useful definitions, these being:
"granular terminals" - terminals which can deal with two other dead terminals in a case of triple terminal collision. (Remake)
"liquid terminals" - terminals which can deal with all the other dead terminals in a case of multiple terminal collision. (Forge)

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2015, 08:33:06 am »

Those are all soft terminals.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2015, 08:36:56 am »
+2

Some terminals are softer than the others.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2015, 11:43:02 am »

I really think Cultist is the best example of a soft terminal - it's terminal... except with itself.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2015, 11:49:17 am »
+2

I really think Cultist is the best example of a soft terminal - it's terminal... except with itself.

See I think it's the best example of a supercollider---when it collides, awesomesauce happens.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2015, 07:01:10 pm »

I thought of another term, which, I believe, is actually useful from a deckbuilding standpoint. The term is smooth terminals, and it refers to terminal Actions that you (might) want to slightly "overbuy" compared to regular terminals such as Smithy or Militia. Smooth terminals include, in addition to the ones in the Remodel/Vault category, most terminal Durations such as Wharf and Merchant Ship (not Outpost and Tactician though, because they don't function within the regular strategy principles concerning terminal Actions).

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2015, 07:09:59 pm »
+2

Also used for terminals that are good at picking up women.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2015, 07:21:11 pm »
+13

you've been hit by.
you've been struck by.
A smooth terminal.

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2015, 09:59:10 pm »
+4

you've been hit by.
you've been struck by.
A smooth terminal.
Is Dame Anna okay?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2015, 10:59:00 pm »

I don't like the term "soft terminals". It makes it sound like they're not quite as terminal as other terminals, but they do terminate your Action chain as much as any other terminals do.

Agree. If anything, I think perhaps Throne Room and King's Court could be called "soft terminals". They're technically terminals, yet they can enable you to play multiple actions. I don't see how Vault is in any way a "soft terminal". It's as hard a terminal as any other. It's just that what it does happens to be to do something with another card in your hand. And for Vault especially, having 2 Vaults in your hand means that the second Vault is as dead a card as any other would be; it might as well be a Victory card or a Curse. Vault 1 is not "making use" of Vault 2.

Spammable terminals is my vote.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2015, 04:15:05 am »
+7

I thought of another term, which, I believe, is actually useful from a deckbuilding standpoint. The term is smooth terminals, and it refers to terminal Actions that you (might) want to slightly "overbuy" compared to regular terminals such as Smithy or Militia. Smooth terminals include, in addition to the ones in the Remodel/Vault category, most terminal Durations such as Wharf and Merchant Ship (not Outpost and Tactician though, because they don't function within the regular strategy principles concerning terminal Actions).

Contrast with rough terminals, which are terminals that somehow always collide even if you only have 2 or 3 in a big deck, like Witch and Mountebank.  That's rough, man.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2015, 09:30:01 am »
+2

Contrast with rough terminals, which are terminals that somehow always collide even if you only have 2 or 3 in a big deck, like Witch and Mountebank.  That's rough, man.

And don't forget about taunting terminals, which somehow mysteriously cause you to get $4 on turns 3 and 4, even when you opened with two Silvers.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 21 queries.