Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Do you know boards that produce long games?  (Read 2520 times)

love

• Baron
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
Do you know boards that produce long games?
« on: March 08, 2015, 02:47:35 pm »
+1

Hi,

I played a few games on the following board:

Code: [Select]
Poor House, Moat, Doctor, Warehouse, Wishing Well, Gardens, Spice Merchant, Taxman, Ghost Ship, Knights
After two games on the board I had the feeling that games take a little longer than usual. In the third game I tried a strategy without the trashing of Spice Merchant in order to benefit from some late purchases of Gardens.
I opened Silver/Taxman and competed for the Wishing Well pile in order to have decent deck cycling speed. I try to have the same number of Knights as my opponent.
What do you think about the opening and about the strategy? Would you choose another approach?

The log: https://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20150307/log.51279b11e4b03ef870c8e38e.1425797957997.txt

Can you post other kingdoms that tend to produce long games in your replies?
Because I really enjoy these long games.

Probably the game takes longer because of Ghost Ship and lack of major engine components (I see only Wishing Well and Warehouse).
That made me think about game length in general. So far I know for example that games involving IGG, Rebuild or Council Room can be very short.
What is the situation for cursers like Sea Hag? On the hand Sea Hag gives curses and this bloat of decks will lengthen the game. On the other hand the curse pile will be emptied and therefore the 3-pile ending is coming closer.
Soothsayer is even more interesting in this case. Soothsayer has Council Room components as well as a cursing component. What is the impact of Soothsayer on the game length?

If you are interested in a game on that board write in the comments. For example I have time for a game tomorrow in the morning or in the afternoon.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 02:51:03 pm by love »

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: Do you know boards that produce long games?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 03:05:30 pm »
+1

ugh, i agree! ghost ship always does this. I see your argument about how sea hag could go either way, but in practice i find it makes thing drag much mpre often than it speeds things up, especially when there is ghost ship on the board too

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 03:21:24 pm »
+2

Ghost Ship with Scheme and no villages is painful.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 08:29:30 am »
+1

Yes, Ghost Ship, without a proper counter (draw up to X, Menagerie, Sage, etc.) can make things last really long, including 3-piling.

Looking at the Goko logs, here is the longest of my last 1000 games.  Took 35 turns (compared to the log you provided which is 27 turns):

Secret Chamber, Swindler, Bishop, Cutpurse, Herald, Noble Brigand, Thief, Treasure Map, Library, Mountebank
http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20150116/log.516d4577e4b082c74d7b716e.1421471672538.txt

In that game, I think Platinum/Colony + Mountebank + Swindler = long game.  But there was also Bishop.  I would bet that Bishop games tend to last longer (and generally reach higher VP points).  There's always the Bishop-Fortress deck that can theoretically go on infinitely.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 10:26:49 am by Dingan »

love

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 11:45:28 am »

Thank you for the kingdom :) I will try it right away^^

theJester

• Bishop
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 03:38:05 pm »
+1

- junking attack with no good counters. This is especially true for Sea Hag (which slows both players) and Monty (which deals 2 junk cards instead of one)
- discard attack with no good counters. Ghost Ship is the biggest offender here.
- weak to no trashing
- presence of Colonies
- lack of +buy or gainers
- lack of good draw

The more factors from above you combine in a board, the game will go longer

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 03:48:39 pm »
+1

Secret Chamber, Native Village, Ambassador, Marauder, Smithy, Scout, Coppersmith, Thief, Ghost Ship, Adventurer; Shelters, Colony

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 07:01:33 pm »
+1

I just went digging through my own games, and the longest one I ever played was 43 turns!

Tunnel, Wishing Well, Advisor, Death Cart, Scavenger, Bazaar, Duke, Ghost Ship, Highway, Witch
Looking at it though, I don't see that it has to be this long. Ghost Ship, Witch, and Duke will all lead to slow games, but even so it only went as long as it did because my opponent let me have all the Duchies and Dukes and tried to piledrive Provinces instead.

love

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 02:13:00 am »

Thanks for the answers  :)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 21 queries.