Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Rate the Expansions!  (Read 30732 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the Expansions!
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2015, 03:24:52 pm »

So, Prosperity and Dark Ages are tied for favorite?  Can't honestly say I'm all that surprised.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2015, 05:09:04 pm »

I'm surprised that Hinterlands (my favorite) is in third place (or was when I wrote this). I didn't think it was that popular.

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2015, 05:27:59 pm »
+5

I'm surprised that I'm not surprised. I didn't think that I thought that I would be.
My opponent has more loot than me

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2015, 05:41:32 pm »
+1

I'm surprised that I'm not surprised. I didn't think that I thought that I would be.

Then you are actually surprised that you are surprised that you are not surprised.

Please try to be coherent, you are confusing everyone.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Willvon

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +168
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2015, 05:08:00 pm »
+2

I enjoy the base set and every expansion and promo that has been released.  I am very excited about the next expansion also.  There will never be too many cards for me.  However, I have to say that I still have to put Prosperity as my favorite.  Maybe it is sentimental.  It was the first expansion that I purchased.  I got it and the base set as my introduction to Dominion.  But my wife and I really enjoy including Platinums and Colonies in our games whenever possible. 

We don't mind that it takes a little longer to play with them in the game, though I do have to admit that when someone has an advantage in Colonies, it is a lot harder to overcome than an advantage in Provinces.  And some kingdoms are just not a good idea with Colonies.  Still, we love it when we can use them.  There might be some expansions that have higher percentage of my "favorite cards" in them per total # of cards in the expansion, but Prosperity definitely has some great cards.  Who doesn't love Watchtower?  Bishop, Goons and Monument add something unique with the Victory point tokens.  Mountebank is a dominant attack.  And I love City, Grand Market, Hoard, Bank, Peddler, and one of my favorite villages, Worker's Village. (I love having extra Buys) 

So here is my list:
1) Prosperity (see above)
2) Dark Ages - Shelters, a $1 card, Ruins, Spoils, and so many great cards, like Squire, Forager, Junk Dealer, Hermit, Market Square, Fortress, Ironmonger, Cultist, Count, Marauder, Rats, etc.  I would pick this #1 if it wasn't for that sentimental thing with Prosperity and the total game changing nature of Colonies.
3) Cornucopia - For such a small expansion, so many great and powerful cards, including my favorite alt-victory card, Fairgrounds.
4) Hinterlands - Lots of favorite cards here also: Tunnel, Scheme, Jack-of-all-Trades, Highway, Crossroads, Spice Merchant, Haggler, Border Village, etc.
5) Seaside - Durations, especially Wharf, and lots of fun and/or useful cards
6) Intrigue - My second expansion that I purchased.  I love the action/victory cards and how they relate to other cards in this expansion and other expansions.  Also, despite its age, it has some of the more popular and/or powerful cards in the game, like Bridge, Courtyard, Masquerade, Ironworks, Torturer, Minion, or Duke.  It also has the cards with choices, which I find to be a fun mechanic.  However, it has some cards I really dislike, such as Saboteur and Tribute.
7) Guilds - I love the coin mechanic, and there are some fun cards, but overall probably loses points for being a small expansion.
8 Base - I know it is very vanilla, but there are a large number of cards there that still are among the most popular to buy when they show up in a game - Chapel, Cellar, Gardens, Lab, Militia, Smithy, Council Room, Moneylender, Throne Room, Library, and of course, Witch.
9) Alchemy - I like the Potion mechanic, but it is a small set and unless you have several of these in a kingdom, they often aren't worth the effort of buying the Potion.  Familiar and Alchemist are definitely strong, and Apprentice is not only a great trasher, it doesn't require Potion to buy it.  But I have absolutely no use for Possession.
10) Promo - Good for what they are, specialty cards, but can't compete with the volume of good cards in the expansions and base set.

Thanks for all of the fun, Donald X!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2015, 05:17:04 pm »
+1

Alchemy - I like the Potion mechanic, but it is a small set and unless you have several of these in a kingdom, they often aren't worth the effort of buying the Potion.  Familiar and Alchemist are definitely strong, and Apprentice is not only a great trasher, it doesn't require Potion to buy it.  But I have absolutely no use for Possession.

Most of the potion cost cards are actually very viable even when they are the only Potion card on the board.  Transmute isn't.  Philosopher's Stone often isn't.  That's about it.

Scrying Pool and Vineyards are two of the strongest.  Apothecary is often underestimated (by myself too).  I think University, Alchemist and Familiar are often overestimated, but they are all strong often enough.  Golem is good.  Possession is hated by many and actually often weak, though it is a game-changer on plenty of boards.

bedlam

• Bishop
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2015, 11:51:41 pm »

I've played with all the sets for so long now that I don't really know which cards come from which set when it comes to those middle expansions. Of course I can recognize Base, Alchemy, some Seaside and Guilds, but which set did Minion come from? I dunno. It's all Dominion to me.

That being said, I enjoy Hinterlands the most because it was the first that I actually bought myself.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2015, 12:01:06 am »

I've played with all the sets for so long now that I don't really know which cards come from which set when it comes to those middle expansions. Of course I can recognize Base, Alchemy, some Seaside and Guilds, but which set did Minion come from? I dunno. It's all Dominion to me.

That being said, I enjoy Hinterlands the most because it was the first that I actually bought myself.

Minion is from Intrigue, not a middle expansion.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2015, 10:58:19 am »
+3

I'm there for you.

Willvon

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2015, 04:04:42 pm »
+1

Alchemy - I like the Potion mechanic, but it is a small set and unless you have several of these in a kingdom, they often aren't worth the effort of buying the Potion.  Familiar and Alchemist are definitely strong, and Apprentice is not only a great trasher, it doesn't require Potion to buy it.  But I have absolutely no use for Possession.

Most of the potion cost cards are actually very viable even when they are the only Potion card on the board.  Transmute isn't.  Philosopher's Stone often isn't.  That's about it.

Scrying Pool and Vineyards are two of the strongest.  Apothecary is often underestimated (by myself too).  I think University, Alchemist and Familiar are often overestimated, but they are all strong often enough.  Golem is good.  Possession is hated by many and actually often weak, though it is a game-changer on plenty of boards.

I definitely agree that Vineyards is excellent. I guess I haven't focused enough on using Scrying Pool and Apothecary to have a good feel for them one way or another.  I only play IRL.  So that affects my ability to evaluate some of these cards compared to many of you who have played many games online and have been able to see more opportunities to use some of these cards.  I played a few games where we only had one or two Alchemy cards in the kingdom.  In those games, they didn't get purchased much, probably because other cards were dominant.  (It has been so long, I can't remember anymore which cards they were.)

So since then, we always have at least 3 Alchemy cards in a game when we they show up in randomizer draw.  And we go through all of the randomizer cards 10 at a time (except, of course when you need a bane).  So it takes a while to go through all of the cards, reshuffle the randomizers, and start over.  As a result, I haven't had as much experience with the Alchemy cards.  So that also affects my rating, I guess.  That is also probably why I have Guilds ranked lower than some people.  It takes so long to go through all of the cards, I haven't played with them as much.

Thanks for taking time to reply to my post.  I appreciate being able to scan the forum and get the insights of so many experienced gamers.  I tend to be more reticent in my posts, but I really do enjoy this forum.

Willvon

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2015, 04:11:10 pm »

I'm there for you.

I know this is a forum for Dominion, but I also recently got the Kingdom Builder Big Box.  That is another great game!  Unfortunately for other games I have, Dominion and Kingdom Builder monopolize most of our playing time. 

I have never seen my wife respond to a game like she has to Dominion.  I will ask her if she wants to play a certain game, and sometimes she wants to and other times not.  But when I ask if she wants to play Dominion, she perks right up and will say yes 95% of the time, and that percentage may be a low estimate.  :D
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 20 queries.