Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Rate the Expansions!  (Read 30733 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Rate the Expansions!
« on: March 07, 2015, 01:13:23 pm »

So I know we've had threads like this before, but I'm curious what the forum's opinions are now, and how those opinions may have changed, especially since we've had a fair amount of new cards (as well as new users) in the meantime.  So, in anticipation of *another* expansion in just over a month, which set is your favorite, and how would you rank them?

Personally, I think Hinterlands is still my favorite - it was my first "new" expansion (I got interested in Dominion seriously after Cornucopia was released), it's quite well-balanced, and has a lot of my favorite cards in it.  I also really like the art style.

My attempt at an order:

1) Hinterlands
2) Guilds (what can I say?  It's new)
3) Prosperity (GOONS)
4) Dark Ages
5) Cornucopia
6) Seaside
7) Alchemy
8 ) Intrigue
9) Promo
10) Base
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the Expansions!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 01:24:16 pm »
+4

I find all the expansion-specific talk around here pretty curious. With the exception of deciding on Colonies and Hovels, I don't think about specific expansions at all except in terms of the next/newest one coming out.

The rest are, collectively, "Dominion" to me.
My opponent has more loot than me

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 01:28:39 pm »
+3

Dark ages is the best! Okay, urchin and knights are my least favorite cards in the game, but apart from that it's great. I'm hoping adventures is even better though!

Actually, scratch that. A lot of the reason Dark Ages has so many fun cards is that it's big. The expansion that has the best average card is probably the Promos. Oops, I already voted for DA, oh well. But seriously, they're all great. Stash is weak but it's a fun, unique mechanic and cool back. Walled Village and Envoy are fine, every set needs a village and smithy. Prince ACTUALLY COSTS 8, WOAH. A Governor game is fun every once in a while. ADAM DO NOT READ: Black Market is awesome. So in terms of quality of the average card:

1) Promos
2) Alchemy
3) Dark Ages
4) Guilds
5) Hinterlands
6) Cornucopia
7) Intrigue
8) Prosperity
9) Seaside
10) Base

I have probably made multiple posts that contradict this post. And actually I agree with Gherald, I rarely play with just a couple expansions so it isn't too meaningful.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 01:33:16 pm »
+4

I find all the expansion-specific talk around here pretty curious. With the exception of deciding on Colonies and Hovels, I don't think about specific expansions at all except in terms of the next/newest one coming out.

The rest are, collectively, "Dominion" to me.

I try to play IRL as often as possible, and without a storage solution, that means picking and choosing expansions to bring.  It's also useful for newer players when trying to decide which expansion to get next.  Also, this thread could give me some vox pop tidbits to pepper some of the wiki articles with.  And it's fun!  Isn't that most important?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Gherald

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 01:51:57 pm »

Oh this thread is fine and nothing out of the ordinary. I just find it curious since I really don't think of expansions this way. My IRL friends have good storage solutions - all the cards are in long boxes like a filing cabinet, with little labels for each card. And they always bring everything and use an app randomizer with occasional vetos

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 01:57:45 pm »

I picked Promos for average card quality.  Governor is a tad overbearing in power level, but not so horrible.  Every other promo is pretty much good.  Stash and Walled Village are weak in a good way.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 03:05:14 pm »
+3

I, uh, can't vote for Adventures?
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Gherald

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 03:06:32 pm »
+9

My favorite is the one after Adventures.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 03:57:55 pm »
+1

Why make the poll private? A large part of the fun lies in seeing what others have voted, and it's not like this is some sort of super confidential issue.

My favorite "expansion" are the promos just for containing Black Market, followed by Dark Ages, which happened to be my first new expansion.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 04:03:56 pm »
+1

Why make the poll private? A large part of the fun lies in seeing what others have voted, and it's not like this is some sort of super confidential issue.

I prefer polls like this.  This way, your decision is motivated purely by your own tastes, and not how other people are voting.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 05:57:41 pm »

I prefer polls like this.  This way, your decision is motivated purely by your own tastes, and not how other people are voting.
I voted before viewing results.  Is it possible to view results before voting? Would people actually do that?

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 06:04:09 pm »

I voted before viewing results.  Is it possible to view results before voting? Would people actually do that?

Of course not!

pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 06:05:19 pm »

Slowbro has reassured me to forget about it and relax.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 06:41:56 pm »
+2

I try to play IRL as often as possible, and without a storage solution, that means picking and choosing expansions to bring.

Wait, you don't just bring all of the boxes and make everybody like "Oh boy, he brought Dominion again..."?  Because I do that all the time...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

tripwire

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +211
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 09:46:14 pm »

Why no love for Guilds? (I was the only one who voted for it at the time of this post) Is it just because it's small?

I feel like a number of the cards are able to play so many different roles in different decks. Stonemason alone is tons of fun! It can be virtual +buy, it creates amazing pile control, sometimes it shows up in a hand where you just use it to trash a 0 cost, and that moment when you stonemason a Hunting Grounds for a point swing and win is just good times.

Along those same lines, I'm curious about all the love for Prosperity. Don't get me wrong, it's a great expansion (there's no expansion I dislike), but I don't know what makes it that much more loved than other large expansions (it's tied with DA at 8 atm). Sure, victory tokens are fun, but coin tokens are more interesting imo. Is it because colonies favor engines? Because of KC? Because of nostalgia?

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2015, 11:02:06 pm »

I used to be skeptical of Prosperity's popularity, but found myself voting for it here. The expensive cards are fun because you get such an extreme impact if you can pull them off, most obviously King's Court and Grand Market but there are others. But there are also plenty of fun lower-cost cards too like Worker's Village and Watchtower.

I don't like most of the Kingdom Treasure cards it has, though. They can be fun but something like Royal Seal or Contraband will often feel like a waste of a Kingdom slot, which can get frustrating when playing with a random selection with a big proportion of Prosperity cards. Loan is sweet though.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 11:03:37 pm by TheOthin »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2015, 11:06:30 pm »
+2

I used to be skeptical of Prosperity's popularity, but found myself voting for it here. The expensive cards are fun because you get such an extreme impact if you can pull them off, most obviously King's Court and Grand Market but there are others. But there are also plenty of fun lower-cost cards too like Worker's Village and Watchtower.

I don't like most of the Kingdom Treasure cards it has, though. They can be fun but something like Royal Seal or Contraband will often feel like a waste of a Kingdom slot, which can get frustrating when playing with a random selection with a big proportion of Prosperity cards. Loan is sweet though.

I remember first looking at Loan and thinking "wtf is the point of this card".  I'm pretty sure my first thread on this forum was asking why one would ever play Loan.

TheOthin

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2015, 11:08:47 pm »

I remember first looking at Loan and thinking "wtf is the point of this card".  I'm pretty sure my first thread on this forum was asking why one would ever play Loan.

That was my same thought at first. "You pick one of two ways to pay a Treasure and all you get is a Copper value?" It's definitely counter-intuitive with how discarding and trashing can initially look bad, but the actual function as a non-terminal, handsize-neutral trasher turns out to be really fun.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2015, 11:42:47 pm »

Actually it looks like your first thread on the forum was a fan expansion.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2015, 11:50:14 pm »

Actually it looks like your first thread on the forum was a fan expansion.

Nope.  Definitely posted things before that.  Including much shittier fan cards than those.  Maybe I've just posted far too much, or the forum doesn't save things from before November 2011.

Gherald

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2015, 11:53:26 pm »

While I don't usually think about expansions individually, I just realized there's a pretty duh answer to this post's question.

Prosperity. Because Colonies.

Dominion wouldn't be as wide of a gaming experience without the chance of Colonies. You could remove any other expansion from the set of all Dominion cards and not feel like you're missing all that much, but take out Colonies and to some extent the other high cost goodies in Prosperity and you're left with a still very fun yet perceptibly narrower gaming experience, once you're used to occasionally playing with Colonies.

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +323
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2015, 03:29:41 am »

This is so difficult. There aren't any I dislike and it's really hard to compare expansions of other sizes; in larger sets it's just more likely there will be cards I love. Guess I'm just considering themes/mechanics, not the specific sets of cards

I don't want to play every game with Platinum/Colony, so I didn't vote for Prosperity.

I love Cornucopia because it doesn't just add a new mechanic but encourages you to do something you usually don't: pursue variety. For me, this is a more interesting different experience than Platinum/Colony. The variety will play differently in every Kingdom while Platinum/Colony will more or less have the same impact for me every time. Plus there's some sweet cards, and I don't mean Tournament, there's more there than that.

Trashing also feels so fundamental to me that I couldn't live without it, and Dark Ages obv brings that for me. I like attacking, so Knights are cool. Shelters are interesting. I usually go for Rats if it's reasonable. Plus the combos are fun to pull off. Rebuild, you say? Well, no expansion's perfect.

And then there's Intrigue. Maybe not as fine-tuned as later expansions, but it opened the door for what the Dominion expansions would do. Choices, multi-type cards, and possibly my favorite card (Masquerade). Probably not my very favorite expansion, but it's what got me hooked and it's probably in the top.

Hinterlands is solid and man, everyone knows it. No need to wax on here. I like the actions subtheme of Alchemy, but it usually results in megaturns, which I don't like because it leaves long stretches of time when you're opponents aren't having much fun. (Apprentice is notable, and wants to be in Hinterlands again anyway.) Durations are neat, but I gotta draw the line somewhere. I wish Durations had been used here and there in later expansions; I just never thought the rules length was a reason to miss out on more good ideas and I guess Adventures got over that. Coin tokens and overpaying, well, I guess they never felt like a strong theme on their own. Oh, and Base. Doesn't really have a mechanic, the theme's just simple. And simple is never bad.

Don't know who cares about my opinions and wow this went on too long, but I guess that's what this thread's for.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2015, 11:40:26 am »

Honestly, Dark Ages is my least favourite. Gimmicky, weird rules, glued-on effects, overly long setup, 5 piles just being junk, Rebuild... Many cards there made me excited the first time i saw them, but now i know the set better i think it's just big, not good. I like Shelters, though.

The Promos are hit and miss. I like Stash, and while i dislike the "Treasure in action phase" of Black Market, i still think the idea is cute.Prince is okay. The other three i don't like.

Alchemy is slightly better, but centers on decks that draw a lot, meaning that turns with it take forever (i play IRL). Scrying Pool is the best example, because the card itself is also slow.

From here it gets better. Guilds gets some minus points for glued-on overpays, so it's next.

Seaside is allright.

Hinterlands is nice.

Cornucopia has the best theme of all expansions, but it also got the annoyingly anti-thematic and OP Hunting Party as well as win-roulette Tournament. Those are what keeps it from being on top. Right now, at least.

Intrigue, Base and Prosperity are about equal. I like some cards for each, and hate some of each, and though i think Intrigue has the most duds, it has a special place in my heart.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2015, 11:53:23 am »

Cornucopia > Seaside = Alchemy = Adventures > Prosperity = Dark Ages = Guilds > Base = Intrigue = Hinterlands

With that said, the bottom three are all still really solid.  This is like if Corn was 10/10, and each tier below it is .5 less.  And yes, I do like Alchemy that much.

Promos is a mixed bag because I love Black Market, Walled Village, and Prince while the others are just ok or I slightly dislike them.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2015, 11:56:33 am »

Dark Ages > Hinterlands > Seaside > Guilds = Intrigue > Cornucopia = Alchemy > Base > Prosperity

Seaside could be higher if it wasn't for Lighthouse.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2015, 11:58:04 am »
+7

How could anyone "love" Walled Village? Or "hate" it? Actually, how can anyone feel anything at all about Walled Village?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2015, 11:59:16 am »
+1

Dark Ages > Hinterlands > Seaside > Guilds = Intrigue > Cornucopia = Alchemy > Base > Prosperity

What do you have against Lighthouse?

TheOthin

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2015, 12:00:11 pm »

My feelings towards Walled Village are that it doesn't have its own space in the combo pack despite being included in it and forces me to make weird and annoying merged storage decisions to fit it. Same with a few other things, like the fact that the randomizer space isn't big enough to actually hold all the randomizer cards. How did this even happen?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2015, 12:05:08 pm »

It's stupid in games with Attacks. In games without Attacks, it's completely fine.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2015, 12:13:38 pm »

How could anyone "love" Walled Village? Or "hate" it? Actually, how can anyone feel anything at all about Walled Village?

It's a village you can topdeck if you don't get a good combo going?  I dunno, it's not that strong but I think it's pretty cool.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

TheOthin

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2015, 12:21:06 pm »

It's stupid in games with Attacks. In games without Attacks, it's completely fine.

How do you figure?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2015, 12:27:10 pm »

How do you figure?

It's an automatic buy in the presence of strong Attacks, it makes the Attacks more or less useless (unless they're also useful for other things besides attacking), and it's super swingy in a very un-fun way.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2015, 01:26:16 pm »

It's hard to rank them in order, so I grouped them into tiers. They're in a rough descending order of quality within the tiers, but they're more arguable.
  • Prosperity, Seaside
  • Guilds, Hinterlands, Cornucopia
  • Dark Ages, Intrigue, Dominion
  • Alchemy

Prosperity is the best expansion. It's just full of power cards, cards that work well together, cards that really define Dominion (King's Court, Mountebank, Bishop, Goons), and the set is pretty well balanced as a standalone or as part of the larger metagame. It's just the most polished set. Seaside is similarly up there; while it has more cards that I just hate (Ghost Ship, Sea Hag to an extent) and a few duds (Explorer), Duration cards are both really cool and incredibly strategic, and some of Dominion's best enablers are here, like Tactician, Wharf, Caravan, Fishing Village, Ambassador...

I like Guilds a lot, probably more than most people. Pretty much every Guilds card is one I'm happy to see in a random set, which says a lot. Lots of variants on existing themes with more choices and depth. It's just a really strategic / tactical set. Hinterlands wasn't initially one of my favorites, but its subtle power has grown on me. The game stays simple with Hinterlands but there's still plenty of neat tricks and variants. The attacks are a bit easier to swallow than other sets which I think helps for playing with less experienced players. Cornucopia is largely like Guilds - a small expansion where nearly every card adds some depth. It really plays well with other expansions, more than every other expansion I think.

Dark Ages is pretty good, it's just got so much going on. Rebuild isn't very fun, and the trash theme results in a lot of wasted potential when you don't have any Trashing cards to take advantage of it. Shelters are cool though and there's a lot of fun stuff. Intrigue has some cards that are absolutely essential (Masquerade, Bridge are the two biggest examples), and it's got some fun power cards (Torturer, Minion, Upgrade), but it's got a ton of niche gimmicks that don't work that often (Coppersmith, Scout) and it's just less consistent than other sets at being hella fun. Dominion itself (Base set) is alright, it's pretty tame and has some really awful cards, but as the first set someone plays with it's pretty important that its laid out the way it is, and it really is the best "starter pack" possible.

Alchemy isn't so bad it's not worth playing, it's got a lot of fun potential, but the Potion mechanics and Possession are both pretty unfortunate, and I don't like them that often.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2015, 01:48:07 pm »

It is a village, and therefore I quite like it. I feel that sort of way about most villages (with perhaps more love for Border Village, City and University, which all have rather interesting effects added to their villaging.)
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2015, 03:02:08 pm »

How do you figure?

It's an automatic buy in the presence of strong Attacks, it makes the Attacks more or less useless (unless they're also useful for other things besides attacking), and it's super swingy in a very un-fun way.
Finally, FINALLY I know what you have against Lighthouse. I kind of agree with what you're saying, but I guess I never felt too strongly about it to actively bash the card.

Okay, on to the thread topic. I still say my favourite expansion is Dark Ages. It's basically the wombo-combo expansion where many cards become way stronger as part of a combo than when used individually. Can you empty the supply in 4 turns without DA, or even in 5 turns? The whole idea of messing around with your deck and trashing lots of stuff to fuel your turns is very exciting for me.

Now Prosperity, its cards tend to either lengthen the game ("gotta keep building that Goons engine, yo"), or else are kind of meh, like the 5$ kingdom treasures in the set. The 7$ cost cards and a few others often feel ill-suited for non-Colony games, and I don't always want to play Colony games. Still, the existence of Colonies in the Dominion world has got to be overall positive.

So after Dark Ages, I like Intrigue, Guilds, and Hinterlands. My opinion on Hinterlands has changed the most since last time I rated the expansions, going from dead last to one of my favourites. The cards are simple enough to be understood by new players, but the set lets you gain cards in bursts. Cards are good to have right? Theme wise it used to feel strange to me, but now I understand it as Marco Polo's adventures or something.

I'm not big fans of Seaside and Alchemy. Seaside has some pretty oppressive cards (Ghost Ship, Ambassador), but not known for its duds at least. Alchemy's potion cards typically need to be strong on their own to justify getting a potion for them, but when multiple potion cards are in the kingdom their abilities either overlap or their combination dominates. I don't hate on Possession, but I don't have a good grasp of how its edge cases work. Like, I was totally surprised when having my Outpost played while possessed lead me to have a 3-card hand normal turn after the possession ended but no extra turn after that.

Promos? I don't really see them as an expansion. I generally like them, but I haven't played many Stash and Prince games though.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2015, 03:29:33 pm »

Seaside and Dark Ages are my favorites. Alchemy is my least favorite (but still very cool). All the others are in the middle. I don't want to do an individual ranking. I like all of them and it would depend on what mood I'm in.

When I first heard of dominion, the first set I played with was Intrigue. The people who introduced it to me said you can start with either base or Intrigue, but Intrigue is more intriguing (actually they said 'interesting'). That's true enough, but what they didn't seem to know is that the base set is best set to learn the game with. It has a lot of basic cards that are good at introducing their mechanics and still among the best cards with those mechanics/concepts (Chapel, Remodel, Cellar, Gardens, Witch...).
The only promo I have online is Black market (which I love). I've only played with the others a couple times each if that.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 04:45:53 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2015, 04:26:50 pm »

Colony is a really cool Dominion card.  I think a lot of the best variation in Dominion kingdoms comes from the wincon changing.
I really wish there was a chance to play Colony without Plat and Plat without Colony and more kingdom VP cards that cost more than Province or had an anti-3-pile clause to extend the game.

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2015, 05:22:28 pm »
+3

Colony is a really cool Dominion card.  I think a lot of the best variation in Dominion kingdoms comes from the wincon changing.
I really wish there was a chance to play Colony without Plat and Plat without Colony and more kingdom VP cards that cost more than Province or had an anti-3-pile clause to extend the game.
Why stop there? Play with Colony and Hovel, but not Platinum or Shelters? Include Ruins without a Looter? What's stopping you?

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2015, 08:22:36 am »

Here's roughly how I think I rate the expansions:

1. Prosperity
 2. Dark Ages
 3. Guilds
 4. Intrigue
 5. Cornucopia
 6. Seaside
 7. Alchemy
 8. Hinterlands
 9. Promos
10. Base

But I gave each card a rating out of 10, and found my average per expansion, which really quite surprised me.

1.Guilds6.62  (up 2)
2.Prosperity6.24(down 1)
3.Cornucopia6.15(up 2)
4.Dark Ages6.11(down 2)
5.Promos6.00(up 4)
6.Seaside5.65(same)
8.Base5.52(up 3)
7.Alchemy5.50(down 1)
9.Intrigue5.28(down 5)
10.Hinterlands  5.12(down 2)

So apparently Guilds is easily my favourite expansion, Cornucopia and Promos are pretty sweet, and I like Alchemy, Intrigue and Hinterlands less than Base??

I guess when thinking about which expansions are the best, we (or at least I) tend to think mostly about the best cards from each expansion. So I like nearly all of the cards from Guilds (all except Doctor, Masterpiece and Taxman scored 6 or higher), but not many of them really stand out to me, whereas for example from Prosperity I love King's Court, Goons, Grand Market etc, but am kind of meh on most of the Kingdom treasures.

I was particularly surprised that Hinterlands scored so poorly, since the general opinion seems to be it's a very solid expansion.

Maybe I'll double check all my ratings at some point to see if I actually agree with what I've put down.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2015, 09:12:28 am »
+1

I wish colonies showed up more on goko. They really change the game. Plus prosperity has vp chips and kc. I think it changes the game more than any expansion.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2015, 09:37:10 am »
+2

But I gave each card a rating out of 10, and found my average per expansion, which really quite surprised me.

I tried doing this, but it turned out that the longer I kept rating cards, the higher the ratings got for some weird reason. I gave up at the point when I caught myself outright giving higher ratings to cards that I didn't like as much as cards that I had rated lower earlier.  :-\

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2015, 07:08:31 am »

How do you figure?

Moat is swingy because you don't want to buy a lot of them, that way your coverage has holes in it and blocking attacks comes down to luck. Lighthouse is non-terminal so you just buy a bunch of them instead of Silver and you don't get hit by attacks. It's enough coverage that your opponent will probably not even go for the attacks, so it's not swingy at all.

What am I missing?
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2015, 07:29:18 am »
+1

How do you figure?

Moat is swingy because you don't want to buy a lot of them, that way your coverage has holes in it and blocking attacks comes down to luck. Lighthouse is non-terminal so you just buy a bunch of them instead of Silver and you don't get hit by attacks. It's enough coverage that your opponent will probably not even go for the attacks, so it's not swingy at all.

What am I missing?

Moat is swingy in a fun way. It's a weak card, so even when you buy a Moat, you're expecting to get hit by most attacks, so it's fun when the unexpected thing happens and you manage to block one instead. But it's extremely frustrating when you have 5 Lighthouses and you're still hit by your opponent's Mountebank every time he plays it.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2015, 07:35:29 am »
+1

Moat is swingy in a fun way. It's a weak card, so even when you buy a Moat, you're expecting to get hit by most attacks, so it's fun when the unexpected thing happens and you manage to block one instead. But it's extremely frustrating when you have 5 Lighthouses and you're still hit by your opponent's Mountebank every time he plays it.

I see. We just have completely different definitions of "fun" then. I bet you like Black Market, don't you?
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2015, 07:39:48 am »
+1

How do you figure?

What am I missing?

Sounds like a mindset problem. You should expect to get unlucky a reasonably large percentage of the time.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2015, 07:52:22 am »

I see. We just have completely different definitions of "fun" then. I bet you like Black Market, don't you?

Well, I don't particularly dislike it. It doesn't really stand out in a positive way for me either, though. But if I have to choose between "like" and "not like", then yeah, I like it. I like Tournament a lot more though.

Sounds like a mindset problem. You should expect to get unlucky a reasonably large percentage of the time.

I know, but I prefer cards that don't cause mindset problems. A part of the reason why it's annoying is also that going for, say, Sea Hag should usually be a mistake when Lighthouse is on the board, and then I feel like my opponent is winning because he's playing badly.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 07:54:53 am by Awaclus »

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2015, 01:15:55 pm »
+1

Third Inn posting here.
My rating would be, more or less (favorite cards in parenthesis) :
1. Cornucopia (Menagerie, Horn of plenty, Harvest, Young Witch)
2. Hinterlands (Develop, Mandarin, Farmland, Tunnel, Border Village)
3. Seaside (Embargo, Outpost, Tactician, Island)
4. Dark Ages (Procession, Procession again, Beggar, Rats)
5. Guilds (Butcher, Stonemason, Merchant Guild)
6. Intrigue (Coppersmith, Duke, Baron)
7. Prosperity (Forge, Contraband)
8. Base (Remodel, Library)
9. Alchemy (Apprentice)
10. Promos (Prince)

I really don't get the Prosperity love. I mean, it's a cool set like the others, but the balance is weird. Goons, King's court, Mountebank and Grand Market are game changers, they are very powerful. Then you have Loan, Talisman, Mine (trolol), Royal Seal, Counting house…
And I find way more satisfactions playing a strategy using bad cards (like Mandarin in Hinterlands) than using monstrous powerful cards like Mountebank or Grand Market.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 01:17:05 pm by brokoli »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2015, 02:17:12 pm »

Third Inn posting here.
My rating would be, more or less (favorite cards in parenthesis) :
1. Cornucopia (Menagerie, Horn of plenty, Harvest, Young Witch)
2. Hinterlands (Develop, Mandarin, Farmland, Tunnel, Border Village)
3. Seaside (Embargo, Outpost, Tactician, Island)
4. Dark Ages (Procession, Procession again, Beggar, Rats)
5. Guilds (Butcher, Stonemason, Merchant Guild)
6. Intrigue (Coppersmith, Duke, Baron)
7. Prosperity (Forge, Contraband)
8. Base (Remodel, Library)
9. Alchemy (Apprentice)
10. Promos (Prince)

I really don't get the Prosperity love. I mean, it's a cool set like the others, but the balance is weird. Goons, King's court, Mountebank and Grand Market are game changers, they are very powerful. Then you have Loan, Talisman, Mine (trolol), Royal Seal, Counting house…
And I find way more satisfactions playing a strategy using bad cards (like Mandarin in Hinterlands) than using monstrous powerful cards like Mountebank or Grand Market.

I feel like you do, just about Dark Ages. Prosperity has a good share of non-attack player interaction, which many like, a few weak-but-sometimes-good cards like Counting House, which some like, and - as you said - power creeps for those that like power creeps. At least none of them is Rebuild or IGG and totally degenerates the game.

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2015, 07:40:26 pm »

I play pretty much exclusively all cards random, so like some others here I don't really distinguish expansions, it's all just Dominion.  So I'll rate the expansions by how many cards each one contains that often make me want to ragequit a game...

Tied for 1st (no ragequit cards): Base, Alchemy, Prosperity, Cornucopia, Guilds, Promos
Tied for 7th (one): Intrigue (Minion), Seaside (Ambassador), Hinterlands (IGG)
Dead last (three): Dark Ages (Urchin, Cultist, Knights)
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2015, 11:18:49 pm »

Here's roughly how I think I rate the expansions:

1. Prosperity
 2. Dark Ages
 3. Guilds
 4. Intrigue
 5. Cornucopia
 6. Seaside
 7. Alchemy
 8. Hinterlands
 9. Promos
10. Base

1.Guilds6.62  (up 2)
2.Prosperity6.24(down 1)
3.Cornucopia6.15(up 2)
4.Dark Ages6.11(down 2)
5.Promos6.00(up 4)
6.Seaside5.65(same)
8.Base5.52(up 3)
7.Alchemy5.50(down 1)
9.Intrigue5.28(down 5)
10.Hinterlands  5.12(down 2)

So apparently Guilds is easily my favourite expansion, Cornucopia and Promos are pretty sweet, and I like Alchemy, Intrigue and Hinterlands less than Base??

I guess when thinking about which expansions are the best, we (or at least I) tend to think mostly about the best cards from each expansion. So I like nearly all of the cards from Guilds (all except Doctor, Masterpiece and Taxman scored 6 or higher), but not many of them really stand out to me, whereas for example from Prosperity I love King's Court, Goons, Grand Market etc, but am kind of meh on most of the Kingdom treasures.

I was particularly surprised that Hinterlands scored so poorly, since the general opinion seems to be it's a very solid expansion.

Maybe I'll double check all my ratings at some point to see if I actually agree with what I've put down.
I think I may try doing this by simply sorting the Randomizers and assigning arbitrary values 1-10 based on where they end up.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2015, 03:24:52 pm »

So, Prosperity and Dark Ages are tied for favorite?  Can't honestly say I'm all that surprised.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2015, 05:09:04 pm »

I'm surprised that Hinterlands (my favorite) is in third place (or was when I wrote this). I didn't think it was that popular.

Gherald

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2015, 05:27:59 pm »
+5

I'm surprised that I'm not surprised. I didn't think that I thought that I would be.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2015, 05:41:32 pm »
+1

I'm surprised that I'm not surprised. I didn't think that I thought that I would be.

Then you are actually surprised that you are surprised that you are not surprised.

Please try to be coherent, you are confusing everyone.

Willvon

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +168
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2015, 05:08:00 pm »
+2

I enjoy the base set and every expansion and promo that has been released.  I am very excited about the next expansion also.  There will never be too many cards for me.  However, I have to say that I still have to put Prosperity as my favorite.  Maybe it is sentimental.  It was the first expansion that I purchased.  I got it and the base set as my introduction to Dominion.  But my wife and I really enjoy including Platinums and Colonies in our games whenever possible. 

We don't mind that it takes a little longer to play with them in the game, though I do have to admit that when someone has an advantage in Colonies, it is a lot harder to overcome than an advantage in Provinces.  And some kingdoms are just not a good idea with Colonies.  Still, we love it when we can use them.  There might be some expansions that have higher percentage of my "favorite cards" in them per total # of cards in the expansion, but Prosperity definitely has some great cards.  Who doesn't love Watchtower?  Bishop, Goons and Monument add something unique with the Victory point tokens.  Mountebank is a dominant attack.  And I love City, Grand Market, Hoard, Bank, Peddler, and one of my favorite villages, Worker's Village. (I love having extra Buys) 

So here is my list:
1) Prosperity (see above)
2) Dark Ages - Shelters, a $1 card, Ruins, Spoils, and so many great cards, like Squire, Forager, Junk Dealer, Hermit, Market Square, Fortress, Ironmonger, Cultist, Count, Marauder, Rats, etc.  I would pick this #1 if it wasn't for that sentimental thing with Prosperity and the total game changing nature of Colonies.
3) Cornucopia - For such a small expansion, so many great and powerful cards, including my favorite alt-victory card, Fairgrounds.
4) Hinterlands - Lots of favorite cards here also: Tunnel, Scheme, Jack-of-all-Trades, Highway, Crossroads, Spice Merchant, Haggler, Border Village, etc.
5) Seaside - Durations, especially Wharf, and lots of fun and/or useful cards
6) Intrigue - My second expansion that I purchased.  I love the action/victory cards and how they relate to other cards in this expansion and other expansions.  Also, despite its age, it has some of the more popular and/or powerful cards in the game, like Bridge, Courtyard, Masquerade, Ironworks, Torturer, Minion, or Duke.  It also has the cards with choices, which I find to be a fun mechanic.  However, it has some cards I really dislike, such as Saboteur and Tribute.
7) Guilds - I love the coin mechanic, and there are some fun cards, but overall probably loses points for being a small expansion.
8 Base - I know it is very vanilla, but there are a large number of cards there that still are among the most popular to buy when they show up in a game - Chapel, Cellar, Gardens, Lab, Militia, Smithy, Council Room, Moneylender, Throne Room, Library, and of course, Witch.
9) Alchemy - I like the Potion mechanic, but it is a small set and unless you have several of these in a kingdom, they often aren't worth the effort of buying the Potion.  Familiar and Alchemist are definitely strong, and Apprentice is not only a great trasher, it doesn't require Potion to buy it.  But I have absolutely no use for Possession.
10) Promo - Good for what they are, specialty cards, but can't compete with the volume of good cards in the expansions and base set.

Thanks for all of the fun, Donald X!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2015, 05:17:04 pm »
+1

Alchemy - I like the Potion mechanic, but it is a small set and unless you have several of these in a kingdom, they often aren't worth the effort of buying the Potion.  Familiar and Alchemist are definitely strong, and Apprentice is not only a great trasher, it doesn't require Potion to buy it.  But I have absolutely no use for Possession.

Most of the potion cost cards are actually very viable even when they are the only Potion card on the board.  Transmute isn't.  Philosopher's Stone often isn't.  That's about it.

Scrying Pool and Vineyards are two of the strongest.  Apothecary is often underestimated (by myself too).  I think University, Alchemist and Familiar are often overestimated, but they are all strong often enough.  Golem is good.  Possession is hated by many and actually often weak, though it is a game-changer on plenty of boards.

bedlam

• Bishop
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2015, 11:51:41 pm »

I've played with all the sets for so long now that I don't really know which cards come from which set when it comes to those middle expansions. Of course I can recognize Base, Alchemy, some Seaside and Guilds, but which set did Minion come from? I dunno. It's all Dominion to me.

That being said, I enjoy Hinterlands the most because it was the first that I actually bought myself.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2015, 12:01:06 am »

I've played with all the sets for so long now that I don't really know which cards come from which set when it comes to those middle expansions. Of course I can recognize Base, Alchemy, some Seaside and Guilds, but which set did Minion come from? I dunno. It's all Dominion to me.

That being said, I enjoy Hinterlands the most because it was the first that I actually bought myself.

Minion is from Intrigue, not a middle expansion.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2015, 10:58:19 am »
+3

I'm there for you.

Willvon

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2015, 04:04:42 pm »
+1

Alchemy - I like the Potion mechanic, but it is a small set and unless you have several of these in a kingdom, they often aren't worth the effort of buying the Potion.  Familiar and Alchemist are definitely strong, and Apprentice is not only a great trasher, it doesn't require Potion to buy it.  But I have absolutely no use for Possession.

Most of the potion cost cards are actually very viable even when they are the only Potion card on the board.  Transmute isn't.  Philosopher's Stone often isn't.  That's about it.

Scrying Pool and Vineyards are two of the strongest.  Apothecary is often underestimated (by myself too).  I think University, Alchemist and Familiar are often overestimated, but they are all strong often enough.  Golem is good.  Possession is hated by many and actually often weak, though it is a game-changer on plenty of boards.

I definitely agree that Vineyards is excellent. I guess I haven't focused enough on using Scrying Pool and Apothecary to have a good feel for them one way or another.  I only play IRL.  So that affects my ability to evaluate some of these cards compared to many of you who have played many games online and have been able to see more opportunities to use some of these cards.  I played a few games where we only had one or two Alchemy cards in the kingdom.  In those games, they didn't get purchased much, probably because other cards were dominant.  (It has been so long, I can't remember anymore which cards they were.)

So since then, we always have at least 3 Alchemy cards in a game when we they show up in randomizer draw.  And we go through all of the randomizer cards 10 at a time (except, of course when you need a bane).  So it takes a while to go through all of the cards, reshuffle the randomizers, and start over.  As a result, I haven't had as much experience with the Alchemy cards.  So that also affects my rating, I guess.  That is also probably why I have Guilds ranked lower than some people.  It takes so long to go through all of the cards, I haven't played with them as much.

Thanks for taking time to reply to my post.  I appreciate being able to scan the forum and get the insights of so many experienced gamers.  I tend to be more reticent in my posts, but I really do enjoy this forum.

Willvon

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2015, 04:11:10 pm »

I'm there for you.

I know this is a forum for Dominion, but I also recently got the Kingdom Builder Big Box.  That is another great game!  Unfortunately for other games I have, Dominion and Kingdom Builder monopolize most of our playing time. 

I have never seen my wife respond to a game like she has to Dominion.  I will ask her if she wants to play a certain game, and sometimes she wants to and other times not.  But when I ask if she wants to play Dominion, she perks right up and will say yes 95% of the time, and that percentage may be a low estimate.  :D
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 20 queries.