Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Rate the Expansions!  (Read 30734 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Rate the Expansions!
« on: March 07, 2015, 01:13:23 pm »

So I know we've had threads like this before, but I'm curious what the forum's opinions are now, and how those opinions may have changed, especially since we've had a fair amount of new cards (as well as new users) in the meantime.  So, in anticipation of *another* expansion in just over a month, which set is your favorite, and how would you rank them?

Personally, I think Hinterlands is still my favorite - it was my first "new" expansion (I got interested in Dominion seriously after Cornucopia was released), it's quite well-balanced, and has a lot of my favorite cards in it.  I also really like the art style.

My attempt at an order:

1) Hinterlands
2) Guilds (what can I say?  It's new)
3) Prosperity (GOONS)
4) Dark Ages
5) Cornucopia
6) Seaside
7) Alchemy
8 ) Intrigue
9) Promo
10) Base
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the Expansions!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 01:24:16 pm »
+4

I find all the expansion-specific talk around here pretty curious. With the exception of deciding on Colonies and Hovels, I don't think about specific expansions at all except in terms of the next/newest one coming out.

The rest are, collectively, "Dominion" to me.
My opponent has more loot than me

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 01:28:39 pm »
+3

Dark ages is the best! Okay, urchin and knights are my least favorite cards in the game, but apart from that it's great. I'm hoping adventures is even better though!

Actually, scratch that. A lot of the reason Dark Ages has so many fun cards is that it's big. The expansion that has the best average card is probably the Promos. Oops, I already voted for DA, oh well. But seriously, they're all great. Stash is weak but it's a fun, unique mechanic and cool back. Walled Village and Envoy are fine, every set needs a village and smithy. Prince ACTUALLY COSTS 8, WOAH. A Governor game is fun every once in a while. ADAM DO NOT READ: Black Market is awesome. So in terms of quality of the average card:

1) Promos
2) Alchemy
3) Dark Ages
4) Guilds
5) Hinterlands
6) Cornucopia
7) Intrigue
8) Prosperity
9) Seaside
10) Base

I have probably made multiple posts that contradict this post. And actually I agree with Gherald, I rarely play with just a couple expansions so it isn't too meaningful.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 01:33:16 pm »
+4

I find all the expansion-specific talk around here pretty curious. With the exception of deciding on Colonies and Hovels, I don't think about specific expansions at all except in terms of the next/newest one coming out.

The rest are, collectively, "Dominion" to me.

I try to play IRL as often as possible, and without a storage solution, that means picking and choosing expansions to bring.  It's also useful for newer players when trying to decide which expansion to get next.  Also, this thread could give me some vox pop tidbits to pepper some of the wiki articles with.  And it's fun!  Isn't that most important?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Gherald

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 01:51:57 pm »

Oh this thread is fine and nothing out of the ordinary. I just find it curious since I really don't think of expansions this way. My IRL friends have good storage solutions - all the cards are in long boxes like a filing cabinet, with little labels for each card. And they always bring everything and use an app randomizer with occasional vetos

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 01:57:45 pm »

I picked Promos for average card quality.  Governor is a tad overbearing in power level, but not so horrible.  Every other promo is pretty much good.  Stash and Walled Village are weak in a good way.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 03:05:14 pm »
+3

I, uh, can't vote for Adventures?
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Gherald

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 03:06:32 pm »
+9

My favorite is the one after Adventures.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 03:57:55 pm »
+1

Why make the poll private? A large part of the fun lies in seeing what others have voted, and it's not like this is some sort of super confidential issue.

My favorite "expansion" are the promos just for containing Black Market, followed by Dark Ages, which happened to be my first new expansion.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 04:03:56 pm »
+1

Why make the poll private? A large part of the fun lies in seeing what others have voted, and it's not like this is some sort of super confidential issue.

I prefer polls like this.  This way, your decision is motivated purely by your own tastes, and not how other people are voting.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 05:57:41 pm »

I prefer polls like this.  This way, your decision is motivated purely by your own tastes, and not how other people are voting.
I voted before viewing results.  Is it possible to view results before voting? Would people actually do that?

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 06:04:09 pm »

I voted before viewing results.  Is it possible to view results before voting? Would people actually do that?

Of course not!

pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 06:05:19 pm »

Slowbro has reassured me to forget about it and relax.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 06:41:56 pm »
+2

I try to play IRL as often as possible, and without a storage solution, that means picking and choosing expansions to bring.

Wait, you don't just bring all of the boxes and make everybody like "Oh boy, he brought Dominion again..."?  Because I do that all the time...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

tripwire

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +211
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 09:46:14 pm »

Why no love for Guilds? (I was the only one who voted for it at the time of this post) Is it just because it's small?

I feel like a number of the cards are able to play so many different roles in different decks. Stonemason alone is tons of fun! It can be virtual +buy, it creates amazing pile control, sometimes it shows up in a hand where you just use it to trash a 0 cost, and that moment when you stonemason a Hunting Grounds for a point swing and win is just good times.

Along those same lines, I'm curious about all the love for Prosperity. Don't get me wrong, it's a great expansion (there's no expansion I dislike), but I don't know what makes it that much more loved than other large expansions (it's tied with DA at 8 atm). Sure, victory tokens are fun, but coin tokens are more interesting imo. Is it because colonies favor engines? Because of KC? Because of nostalgia?

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2015, 11:02:06 pm »

I used to be skeptical of Prosperity's popularity, but found myself voting for it here. The expensive cards are fun because you get such an extreme impact if you can pull them off, most obviously King's Court and Grand Market but there are others. But there are also plenty of fun lower-cost cards too like Worker's Village and Watchtower.

I don't like most of the Kingdom Treasure cards it has, though. They can be fun but something like Royal Seal or Contraband will often feel like a waste of a Kingdom slot, which can get frustrating when playing with a random selection with a big proportion of Prosperity cards. Loan is sweet though.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 11:03:37 pm by TheOthin »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2015, 11:06:30 pm »
+2

I used to be skeptical of Prosperity's popularity, but found myself voting for it here. The expensive cards are fun because you get such an extreme impact if you can pull them off, most obviously King's Court and Grand Market but there are others. But there are also plenty of fun lower-cost cards too like Worker's Village and Watchtower.

I don't like most of the Kingdom Treasure cards it has, though. They can be fun but something like Royal Seal or Contraband will often feel like a waste of a Kingdom slot, which can get frustrating when playing with a random selection with a big proportion of Prosperity cards. Loan is sweet though.

I remember first looking at Loan and thinking "wtf is the point of this card".  I'm pretty sure my first thread on this forum was asking why one would ever play Loan.

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2015, 11:08:47 pm »

I remember first looking at Loan and thinking "wtf is the point of this card".  I'm pretty sure my first thread on this forum was asking why one would ever play Loan.

That was my same thought at first. "You pick one of two ways to pay a Treasure and all you get is a Copper value?" It's definitely counter-intuitive with how discarding and trashing can initially look bad, but the actual function as a non-terminal, handsize-neutral trasher turns out to be really fun.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2015, 11:42:47 pm »

Actually it looks like your first thread on the forum was a fan expansion.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2015, 11:50:14 pm »

Actually it looks like your first thread on the forum was a fan expansion.

Nope.  Definitely posted things before that.  Including much shittier fan cards than those.  Maybe I've just posted far too much, or the forum doesn't save things from before November 2011.

Gherald

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2015, 11:53:26 pm »

While I don't usually think about expansions individually, I just realized there's a pretty duh answer to this post's question.

Prosperity. Because Colonies.

Dominion wouldn't be as wide of a gaming experience without the chance of Colonies. You could remove any other expansion from the set of all Dominion cards and not feel like you're missing all that much, but take out Colonies and to some extent the other high cost goodies in Prosperity and you're left with a still very fun yet perceptibly narrower gaming experience, once you're used to occasionally playing with Colonies.

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +323
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2015, 03:29:41 am »

This is so difficult. There aren't any I dislike and it's really hard to compare expansions of other sizes; in larger sets it's just more likely there will be cards I love. Guess I'm just considering themes/mechanics, not the specific sets of cards

I don't want to play every game with Platinum/Colony, so I didn't vote for Prosperity.

I love Cornucopia because it doesn't just add a new mechanic but encourages you to do something you usually don't: pursue variety. For me, this is a more interesting different experience than Platinum/Colony. The variety will play differently in every Kingdom while Platinum/Colony will more or less have the same impact for me every time. Plus there's some sweet cards, and I don't mean Tournament, there's more there than that.

Trashing also feels so fundamental to me that I couldn't live without it, and Dark Ages obv brings that for me. I like attacking, so Knights are cool. Shelters are interesting. I usually go for Rats if it's reasonable. Plus the combos are fun to pull off. Rebuild, you say? Well, no expansion's perfect.

And then there's Intrigue. Maybe not as fine-tuned as later expansions, but it opened the door for what the Dominion expansions would do. Choices, multi-type cards, and possibly my favorite card (Masquerade). Probably not my very favorite expansion, but it's what got me hooked and it's probably in the top.

Hinterlands is solid and man, everyone knows it. No need to wax on here. I like the actions subtheme of Alchemy, but it usually results in megaturns, which I don't like because it leaves long stretches of time when you're opponents aren't having much fun. (Apprentice is notable, and wants to be in Hinterlands again anyway.) Durations are neat, but I gotta draw the line somewhere. I wish Durations had been used here and there in later expansions; I just never thought the rules length was a reason to miss out on more good ideas and I guess Adventures got over that. Coin tokens and overpaying, well, I guess they never felt like a strong theme on their own. Oh, and Base. Doesn't really have a mechanic, the theme's just simple. And simple is never bad.

Don't know who cares about my opinions and wow this went on too long, but I guess that's what this thread's for.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2015, 11:40:26 am »

Honestly, Dark Ages is my least favourite. Gimmicky, weird rules, glued-on effects, overly long setup, 5 piles just being junk, Rebuild... Many cards there made me excited the first time i saw them, but now i know the set better i think it's just big, not good. I like Shelters, though.

The Promos are hit and miss. I like Stash, and while i dislike the "Treasure in action phase" of Black Market, i still think the idea is cute.Prince is okay. The other three i don't like.

Alchemy is slightly better, but centers on decks that draw a lot, meaning that turns with it take forever (i play IRL). Scrying Pool is the best example, because the card itself is also slow.

From here it gets better. Guilds gets some minus points for glued-on overpays, so it's next.

Seaside is allright.

Hinterlands is nice.

Cornucopia has the best theme of all expansions, but it also got the annoyingly anti-thematic and OP Hunting Party as well as win-roulette Tournament. Those are what keeps it from being on top. Right now, at least.

Intrigue, Base and Prosperity are about equal. I like some cards for each, and hate some of each, and though i think Intrigue has the most duds, it has a special place in my heart.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2015, 11:53:23 am »

Cornucopia > Seaside = Alchemy = Adventures > Prosperity = Dark Ages = Guilds > Base = Intrigue = Hinterlands

With that said, the bottom three are all still really solid.  This is like if Corn was 10/10, and each tier below it is .5 less.  And yes, I do like Alchemy that much.

Promos is a mixed bag because I love Black Market, Walled Village, and Prince while the others are just ok or I slightly dislike them.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2015, 11:56:33 am »

Dark Ages > Hinterlands > Seaside > Guilds = Intrigue > Cornucopia = Alchemy > Base > Prosperity

Seaside could be higher if it wasn't for Lighthouse.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 20 queries.