Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Missed opportunity for double-Outpost?  (Read 1833 times)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
Missed opportunity for double-Outpost?
« on: December 25, 2011, 04:38:23 pm »
+3

So I just played this nifty game where the key cards were Minion, Scheme, and Outpost:

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/25/game-20111225-131150-9dabbf62.html

It went about as you might expect with those three cards; play a basic Minion strategy and then use Scheme to topdeck a bunch of Minions for your Outpost turn. I think the reason I won is because after the Minions ran out I used a couple of $5 buys on Treasuries, whereas my opponent got a Margrave; cantrip money beats terminal +cards in a Minion game with no villages.

But it occurred to me near the end of the game—could this possibly be a rare case where double-Outpost has a chance at success? Ordinarily, obviously, you don't want to double-Outpost because that leaves you with not only three-card bonus turns but also three-card regular turns. But maybe the combination of Scheme and Minion makes it worth it? To wit:

Ordinarily Scheme's not great in Minion games because whatever cards you top-deck your opponent will just discard. Outpost mitigates that, since you get a free turn in between when your opponent doesn't have a chance to attack you. But having a three-card Outpost hand makes you immune to Minion even if it's not a bonus Outpost turn! So, you play Outpost on an Outpost turn, use Scheme to top-deck whatever you want, and then you have your three-Minion hand (or whatever) set up for next turn and your opponent can't do anything about it. Three actions of your choice is probably better than four cards at random, which is what you'd have without double-Outpost.

Does this have a chance of success, or am I overthinking it? Obviously having no villages makes it harder to pull off anyway, since you can't play your Outpost and then keep fishing for Minions and Schemes afterward.

cdnza

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
Re: Missed opportunity for double-Outpost?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 05:49:44 pm »

doesn't outpost specifically say that it cannot be used to take more than two consecutive turns?

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 06:34:21 pm »

You can't take more than 2 consecutive turns, but if you play Outpost on your extra turn, you still only draw 3 cards during the clean-up phase.

I suppose AJD's point is that if you purposely "gimp" your next real turn by playing Outpost when it doesn't give you an extra turn, you can control your 3-card hand because it's immune to Minion. Not sure how well it'd work in practice, though.

quasi

• Steward
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 09:10:56 pm »

Nice post (the original one).  In general scheme + outpost has a lot of potential.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 07:58:42 am »

I can see the argument but I'm not convinced in this kingdom. You're buying a lot of extra cards to make a combination work for minor advantage. You don't have a second action so your minion chain always has to stop at the outpost for it to be useful. This means the outpost has to be directly better than a silver, gold, another steward, or horn of plenty.

If you change the kingdom a little and use a golem with minions to the create extra actions to play your outposts then you might find advantage from holding your golem in hand at start of turn.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.526 seconds with 21 queries.