Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: small but useful tactics tips  (Read 21581 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Re: small but useful tactics tips
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2015, 09:11:21 am »
+3

Sometimes it's fine to trigger a bad reshuffle with Minion if your discard pile only has 4 or 5 junk cards in it; usually that hand will be Minioned away by your opponent.

I wouldn't rely on this against good and observant players.

I absolutely would. If they're also running a Minion deck, they're not going to shut down their engine just to maybe shut down yours as well.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2015, 09:47:54 am »
+4

That really depends on the situation... it's quite conceivable that I'm willing to settle for a mediocre over a good turn to give you a terrible one. In my first game against Tao Chen yesterday I didnt play Possession at least once because I expected him to have a bad hand, and I remember a game against Stef from a while ago where he thought for like a minute about not Minioning for cards after Goko, kind as it is, revealed to him that I did not reveal my Moat.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2015, 09:51:11 am »
+2

When playing against possession and you need to discard (Militia, Ghost Ship, ...) consider keeping your bad cards and discarding your good ones.
When playing with possession and your opponent had to discard, consider not playing the possession.
(video)
Join the Dominion League!

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2015, 09:54:48 am »

If you aren't going to shuffle your deck before the end of the game, buying anything that doesn't give VP is useless.

Except for
a) desired 3-pile-endings.
b) situations where you are behind and have a chance to get closer by playing goons/monuments or giving curses but risk a 3-pile-ending by buying VP (or game end when only provinces/colonies are left).

Might be even more, this is just what came to my mind immediately.

Counting House!

Herald?

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2015, 10:17:02 am »

Sometimes it's fine to trigger a bad reshuffle with Minion if your discard pile only has 4 or 5 junk cards in it; usually that hand will be Minioned away by your opponent.

I wouldn't rely on this against good and observant players.

I absolutely would. If they're also running a Minion deck, they're not going to shut down their engine just to maybe shut down yours as well.
With Possession though, it's a different story since it wasn't going to help your engine anyway. I remember playing an engine-y Possession game where my opponent was kind of ahead of me but triggered a really bad reshuffle that most of my opponent's engine cards missed. I chose not to play Possession during that shuffle to make that bad shuffle last as long as possible, giving me time to catch up.

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
  • Highest Rank/Rating: 58/5600
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2015, 04:27:12 pm »

If you are losing, you miiiight not want to end the game.
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2015, 12:22:53 am »
+5

If you are losing, you miiiight not want to end the game.

I mean, unless you want to just end your misery.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 20 queries.