Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: More Fun With (Un)popular Buys  (Read 13831 times)

A_S00

• Spy
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
Re: More Fun With (Un)popular Buys
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2012, 07:23:09 pm »

Most
Code: [Select]
$6 - Goons (96.2%), Border Village (93.3%)
$5 - Mountebank (91.7%)
$4 - Worker's Village (94.7%), Caravan (94.6%), Farming Village (90.6%)
$3p - Familiar (92.5%)
$3 - Fishing Village (94.1%)
$2 - Chapel (92.7%), Crossroads (89.7%)

GOONS ENGINE, WITCHES!  Too bad Caravan is the only real source of +Cards.  Also, apparently I buy a lot of villages (although only Border Village and Crossroads show evidence of me buying them too much).

Least (ignoring Archivist and prizes)
$5 - Horn of Plenty (7%), Counting House (4.5%), Harvest (4.3%), Explorer (4.2%), Contraband (4.0%)
$4 - Coppersmith (6.9%), Bureaucrat (6.8%), Thief (5.8%), Navigator (1.7%)
$3 - Chancellor (7.7%)

AKA, a bunch of terrible cards and I have no idea how to use Horn of Plenty.  Big Money it is.  Maybe Navigator/BM or Explorer/BM (depending on starting split).

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2012, 07:34:14 pm »

Most bought/gained:

$6 Goons (88.5)
$5 Mountebank (91.0), Wharf (90.4), Ill-Gotten Gains (90.0)
$4 Jack of All Trades (92.0), Tournament (88.6)
$3 Masquerade (91.1), Ambassador (92.1), Fishing Village (89.9)
$2 Chapel (95.5)

Needless to say, a pretty stacked board. I won't pretend to have any sort of idea of how to play this.

Least bought/gained:

$6 Adventurer (6.8)
$5 Counting House (3.6), Harvest (5.0)
$4 Thief (2.7), Coppersmith (4.3), Navigator (5.9), Pirate Ship (6.4), Bureaucrat (6.6), Scout (7.4)
$3 Chancellor (8.3)

Looks like a Bureaucrat/BM board to me.

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2012, 02:00:42 am »

Most:
$7 King's Court 92.9 [6]
$6 Goons 91.1 [10]
$5 Minion 92.6 [7]
$4 Remake 96.7 [1]; Tournament 96.5 [3]; Salvager 91.1 [9]
$3P Familiar 91.7 [8]
$3 Fishing Village 96.6 [2]; Ambassador 94.7 [4]
$2 Chapel 93.3 [5]

I think I'm the first to end up with Salvager in the list. I love that card. It may be the most underrated card in Dominion for its late-game versatility and power.
(If this board came up in Isotropic, I'd consider quitting immediately. Looks incredibly boring.)

Least:
$6 Adventurer 7.1 [5]
$5 Counting House 2.6 [1]; Cache 3.6 [3]; Explorer 9.1 [8]
$4 Bureaucrat 3.1 [2]; Thief 5.1 [4]; Coppersmith 10.1 [10]
$3P Philosopher's Stone 10.0 [9]
$3 Workshop 8.4 [6]; Chancellor 9.0 [7]

Well, guess we're running a Counting House deck. Or just Big Money.

Also, here's the Isotropic population's list:

Most:
$7 King's Court
$6 Border Village; Nobles; Goons
$5 Festival
$4 Caravan; Tournament; Worker's Village; Farming Village
$3 Fishing Village

Isotropic severely overrates +Actions. On a side note, on this board I buy KC at $7, alternate Goons and Nobles at $6, and FV at $3-5. Maybe a few Caravans, but unlikely.

Least:
$6 Adventurer
$5 Counting House; Stash; Harvest; Cache; Explorer
$4 Navigator; Coppersmith; Bureaucrat
$3 Chancellor

I buy 3x as many Navigators as the population. Otherwise this looks a lot like my least-buys.
Again, this is a Counting House board; else just straight Big Money.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 02:09:02 am by Stealth Tomato »

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2012, 04:02:28 am »

Least:
$6 Adventurer
$3 Chancellor

I buy 3x as many Navigators as the population. Otherwise this looks a lot like my least-buys.
This is most probably a Chancellor/Stash board.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2012, 05:04:55 am »

I'm surprised to see Harvest in so many "least bought" list. Well, the card isn't incredibly good, but... Harvest is a terminal gold, or even 4$. I think, for the price, it's good enough to buy it.

kn1tt3r

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2012, 05:41:58 am »

I'm surprised to see Harvest in so many "least bought" list. Well, the card isn't incredibly good, but... Harvest is a terminal gold, or even 4$. I think, for the price, it's good enough to buy it.

What I'm suprised about is how many have several cards they buy in >95% of the times they're available, and how many with <5%.

I'm rather sure that almost any card you buy >95% of the cases is just overbought, and the same for <5% the other way round (although I somewhat understand that Thief for example needs some very marginal cases to be a good buy).

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2012, 11:00:25 am »

What I'm suprised about is how many have several cards they buy in >95% of the times they're available, and how many with <5%.

I'm rather sure that almost any card you buy >95% of the cases is just overbought, and the same for <5% the other way round (although I somewhat understand that Thief for example needs some very marginal cases to be a good buy).

You might be right that cards with >95% are bought too often. I don't necessarily think so, but it's definitely possible, maybe even probable.

I think you're almost definitely not right that all cards with <5% are not bought often enough. The reason some of the worst cards have such high % in the first place is because your opponent Swindles you one, anyway. Thief is probably part of the strongest strategy (on a 2p board) less than 1% of the time it's available. I think the same probably goes for Counting House and Adventurer, and almost definitely if we're talking 5% rather than 1%.

kn1tt3r

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2012, 11:12:34 am »

You might be right that cards with >95% are bought too often. I don't necessarily think so, but it's definitely possible, maybe even probable.

I think you're almost definitely not right that all cards with <5% are not bought often enough. The reason some of the worst cards have such high % in the first place is because your opponent Swindles you one, anyway. Thief is probably part of the strongest strategy (on a 2p board) less than 1% of the time it's available. I think the same probably goes for Counting House and Adventurer, and almost definitely if we're talking 5% rather than 1%.

It's true that some cards are useful only in very very few situations (so ok, my statement might have been wrong in general), but what I intended was to make people think about their data a bit. Looking at myself, I presume that 4.4% for Counting House and 5.6% for Bureaurcrat are a bit too low, so I probably underestimate them a bit. Looking at others, 3.4% for Oracle, 3.8% for Workshop, or 4.3% for Harvest just cannot be ideal numbers.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2012, 02:17:31 pm »

Least:
$6 Adventurer
$3 Chancellor

This is most probably a Chancellor/Stash board.

I was going to try and simulate this, but dominionate can't play Stashes yet. When it does get implemented, the code for a Cache/Counting House strategy that is marginally better than Big Money is here.
{
 name: 'CountingCache'
 author: 'Jorbles'
 requires: ["Counting House", "Cache"]
 gainPriority: (state, my) -> [
   "Province"
   "Duchy" if state.gainsToEndGame() <= 5
   "Estate" if state.gainsToEndGame() <= 2
   "Counting House" if my.countInDeck("Copper") >= 11 and
my.countInDeck("Counting House") == 1
   "Counting House" if my.countInDeck("Counting House") == 0
   "Cache"
   "Silver"
   "Copper"
 ]

fringe

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2012, 12:19:15 am »

Most:
$4 Tournament 94.1%
$6 Nobles 93.5%
$6 Border Village 93%
$5 Festival 92.9%
$3 Fishing Village 91.2%
$5 Bazaar 87.7%
$6 Goons 86.8%
$4 Island 86.8%
$4 Caravan 84.9%
$4 Spice Merchant 84.6%

Most of them are cards that give another actions. Bazaar is the one that looks odd, but that's mostly because I often get one or two just to faciltate action chains in a board without other villages. Island is one of my favorite opening buy. I am trying to stay away Nobles now though.

My bottom 10
$5 Counting House 11.8%
$6 Adventurer 12.5%
$4 Bureaucrat 17.9%
$4 Coppersmith 18.4%
$3 Chancellor 18.8%
$3 Woodcutter 20%
$5 Cache 20.4%
$5 Stash 22%
$5 Duke 22%
$3 Workshop 22.2%

I always want to make Cache and Counting House works, but it's too much of an effort... On the other hand, I actually don't hate Bureaucrat that much, but the $4 competition is pretty stiff.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.342 seconds with 21 queries.