Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Poor House + Black Market?  (Read 4795 times)

belugawhale

• Moneylender
  • Something.
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
Poor House + Black Market?
« on: March 04, 2015, 11:43:19 pm »
+6

Hi, this is my first post.
This interaction takes advantage of Black Market's ability to get treasures out of hand and into play (similar to bm+tactician) to maximize poor house's coin.
I'm not sure how well this interaction works, though.
Any thoughts?
removed by user

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Re: Poor House + Black Market?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 12:08:22 am »

Needs +Action, but sounds good otherwise.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 12:31:51 am »
+9

Welcome!

The interaction you spotted is okay but less impressive than it might as first seem. The very treasures you "need" in your deck for Black Market to significantly improve Poor House also make it harder to line them up together with a village in the first place. And for this same reliability reason BM/PH doesn't make you want to keep your treasures around where you'd otherwise trash them, though if you play a trim deck with both cards and are a bit short on actions (with enough actions you just prefer more Poor Houses), BM can allow you to play with a treasure or two in your engine where you otherwise wouldn't have gotten any.

In practice Poor House will see a bit more play on boards with BM than on a random board, but seeing Poor House in your BM kingdom is no reason to produce additional salivation ;)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 12:54:25 am »

Fishing Village would be best for this, as it doesn't need to line up with BM/PH, and provides a little coin itself.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 07:24:42 am »
+7

Welcome!

The interaction you spotted is okay but less impressive than it might as first seem. The very treasures you "need" in your deck for Black Market to significantly improve Poor House also make it harder to line them up together with a village in the first place. And for this same reliability reason BM/PH doesn't make you want to keep your treasures around where you'd otherwise trash them, though if you play a trim deck with both cards and are a bit short on actions (with enough actions you just prefer more Poor Houses), BM can allow you to play with a treasure or two in your engine where you otherwise wouldn't have gotten any.

In practice Poor House will see a bit more play on boards with BM than on a random board, but seeing Poor House in your BM kingdom is no reason to produce additional salivation ;)

Srsly this is a really good post. It's even about Black Market and I still like it.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 05:53:53 pm »

Fishing Village would be best for this, as it doesn't need to line up with BM/PH, and provides a little coin itself.
Since it needs a decent bit of draw to help line the two cards up, maybe Tactician? But then it's more a Tactician/BM combo where for some reason you're using a PH kicker rather than going double-Tac.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 06:01:24 pm »
+3

Welcome!

Srsly this is a really good post. It's even about Black Market and I still like it.

>point out that another post is good
>get +1s from people who didn't upvote the original post

Since it needs a decent bit of draw to help line the two cards up, maybe Tactician? But then it's more a Tactician/BM combo where for some reason you're using a PH kicker rather than going double-Tac.

Of course you're going double-Tac. Poor House isn't bad in that deck though, you might want to go for double Province turns and Poor House makes it that much easier as long as you have the +actions.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 01:21:01 am »

BM is a plus for Poor House -- but not as much of a plus as, say, Fishing Village and Spice Merchant and preferably some other good + buy as well

BM games tend to be so interesting that a lot more depends on what happens with it than on whether poor house is on the board with it

On a general note, BM tends to be disliked for its randoms/swingy nature -- which is a downside on its own, but those people tend to be under-appreciating the skill and tactical and strategic adaptations it takes to react to what comes out of the BM, both in your own deck and in your opponent's. It's a really fun card once you appreciate that angle
My opponent has more loot than me

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 07:13:45 am »
+1

Welcome!

Yeah what's up with that? Anyone who +1-ed my post should have also +1-ed SCSN's post. The only person who has an excuse for that is SCSN himself because he can't +1 his own post.

I will also accept if these people remove their +1 from my post. Am I doing it right?
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 10:31:52 am »

Welcome!

Yeah what's up with that? Anyone who +1-ed my post should have also +1-ed SCSN's post. The only person who has an excuse for that is SCSN himself because he can't +1 his own post.

I will also accept if these people remove their +1 from my post. Am I doing it right?

If I had to guess, I'd say that most of the people who +1'd your post did so because they found it funny (the funny part being the "even though it's about Black Market").
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 11:24:03 am »

Now this is reminding me that Storyteller/Poor House could actually work, since ST is non-terminal.

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 11:30:25 am »

Now this is reminding me that Storyteller/Poor House could actually work, since ST is non-terminal.
And with Poor House, you're not really worried about coins; you're worried about getting the cards and actions to play your Poor Houses.

The danger, though, is the risk of drawing more Treasures with Storyteller. And of course it can be worthwhile to play a Poor House early in a turn if you're going to be drawing more cards later, but Storyteller can mess that up if you want to keep your coins.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.