Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: farmlanding a nobles into a province  (Read 3889 times)

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
farmlanding a nobles into a province
« on: March 03, 2015, 06:42:41 pm »

not such a good move.

exceptions?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: farmlanding a nobles into a province
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 06:46:16 pm »

To get the last province and win?

When you really need to get that Province but can't afford it otherwise?

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 06:46:50 pm »
+6

I don't know about you, but if I have 6 coins + nobles and no actions left and I need a province, this is what I'm doing.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 06:48:45 pm »

ah yes. \thread. i forgot about the affordability issue. the edge cases i was looking for was doing it with 8.

edit: i don't know how to spell \thread.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 07:05:18 pm »
+1

ah yes. \thread. i forgot about the affordability issue. the edge cases i was looking for was doing it with 8.

edit: i don't know how to spell \thread.

When you also have an extra Buy and need an Estate for the win.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 07:13:02 pm »
+3

When you have fairgrounds, more than 1 nobles, and no farmlands.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 07:14:30 pm »
+3

Your opponent really needs to play two terminal Actions on the same turn, Tribute is the only source of +actions and Nobles is your only Action card (because you got the Nobles from Black Market which then got trashed by your opponent's Swindler).

Also Possession.

When you have fairgrounds, more than 1 nobles, and no farmlands.

Also when you thought you were buying a Fairgrounds with Nobles being the only card in your hand.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 07:19:24 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 07:16:56 pm »

3-piles on farmlands for the win.

It's harder to find a reason that doesn't depend on the card being named "farmland" instead of "nobles", since apart from the name, a nobles in your deck is strictly better than a farmland in your deck, even including the cost. Maybe a scenario could be constructed involving, on the next turn, ambassadoring the farmland back to the supply so that you can buy it to end the game, but then we're very deep into edge case land. :)

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 07:18:30 pm »

Here are some others: you have a bunch of Market Squares in hand that you want to discard for golds; the Province pile is embargoed.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 07:23:03 pm »

It's harder to find a reason that doesn't depend on the card being named "farmland" instead of "nobles", since apart from the name, a nobles in your deck is strictly better than a farmland in your deck, even including the cost. Maybe a scenario could be constructed involving, on the next turn, ambassadoring the farmland back to the supply so that you can buy it to end the game, but then we're very deep into edge case land. :)

My +Buy scenario doesn't rely on the card names.  It relies on the fact that buying Farmland gives you extra value.

Here's an edge case -- your opponent is running a Highway-Rogue strategy to try to trash your Provinces.  You do the Farmland thing to slow down the Rogue attacks.

CG19

• Baron
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 07:25:40 pm »
+1

Typical f.ds response. Approved.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 07:55:48 pm »

Coincidentally, I just saw this today. I was watching some old Wandering Winder games today and his opponent Farmlands a Nobles into a Province for a win.

Youtube
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 07:56:58 pm by Deadlock39 »

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 04:19:59 am »
+2

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 09:43:56 am »
+2

Eh, Herald in your hand with Gold, Silver, Copper, Copper.  Your deck is Copper, Nobles, next five cards are some combination that can give exactly $6 but no $6 cards (Say 3 Mystics then some junk.).  Two Provinces left in the supply, and you're confident your opponent can't buy a Province next turn.  (You played a Pillage, say.) You have $7 so you need the Copper to buy a Province.  If you play the Herald, Nobles is played, and you draw a $6 hand without having any $6 to to Province with Farmlands.  If that Nobles were a Farmland, then it would be in your hand next turn to upgrade for the last Province, and the win.

Edit: And I guess only one buy, and actually the Mystics could just be Treasure.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 09:45:26 am by Witherweaver »

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 05:55:59 pm »

My +Buy scenario doesn't rely on the card names.  It relies on the fact that buying Farmland gives you extra value.
Oh yeah, I was interpreting the updated scenario as being "$8 and 1 buy".

Eh, Herald in your hand with Gold, Silver, Copper, Copper.  Your deck is Copper, Nobles, next five cards are some combination that can give exactly $6 but no $6 cards (Say 3 Mystics then some junk.).  Two Provinces left in the supply, and you're confident your opponent can't buy a Province next turn.  (You played a Pillage, say.) You have $7 so you need the Copper to buy a Province.  If you play the Herald, Nobles is played, and you draw a $6 hand without having any $6 to to Province with Farmlands.  If that Nobles were a Farmland, then it would be in your hand next turn to upgrade for the last Province, and the win.

Edit: And I guess only one buy, and actually the Mystics could just be Treasure.
Good point that Farmland-in-deck can be situationally preferred to Nobles-in-deck, although Nobles should still be better in that deck averaged over all possible scenarios.

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1399
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 07:35:59 pm »

I should think the answer is obvious: when the Nobles is dead in hand and it's to your advantage to get a Province that way, and most obviously when it's for the win.  Here's me 2 days ago:

---------- Gherald: turn 19 ----------
Gherald - plays Nobles
Gherald - draws Plaza, Nobles, Silver
Gherald - plays 2 Silver, 2 Copper
Gherald - buys Farmland
Gherald - trashes Nobles
Gherald - gains Province
Gherald - gains Farmland
Gherald - draws Plaza, Copper, Crossroads, Estate, Curse

------------ Game Over ------------
Gherald - cards: 5 Nobles, 3 Plaza, 2 Crossroads, 1 Tournament, 1 Trusty Steed, 7 Copper, 2 Silver, 5 Province, 3 Estate, 2 Farmland, 2 Duchy, 2 Curse
Gherald - total victory points: 51

2.71828..... - cards: 5 Tournament, 3 Native Village, 3 Crossroads, 3 Plaza, 2 Nobles, 1 Followers, 1 Outpost, 1 Bag of Gold, 1 Princess, 7 Copper, 1 Gold, 1 Silver, 7 Estate, 3 Province
2.71828..... - total victory points: 29
My opponent has more loot than me
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.