Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

What are you MOST excited to find out about from the Adventures Previews?

Moar Durations!
Reserve cards!
Tokens/mats!
Events!
Whatever else Donald X comes up with!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Author Topic: What are you MOST excited to find out about from the Adventures Previews?  (Read 51064 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile

Real question -- are playtesters privy to the cards in their final forms?  Or, due to being playtesters, is it possible that the cards they played with have changed a great deal since they played with them?  I mean, you're not still testing the final versions on isotropic... are you?!

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
+1

Pretty sure they are.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
+2

Unless DXV is pulling a hugely elaborate troll I think we are playing with the final cards.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile

Unless DXV is pulling a hugely elaborate troll I think we are playing with the final cards.
So what happens if you find something which should be changed? Is it too late?

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile

Is that if I know the final cards or if it's all some joke? I mean, considering it comes out April 8th I can't see any changes being made.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile

It is now.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
+3

So the competitive Dominion scene will be unfairly skewed towards playtesters for however long the adjustment period is, no?
It's totally true but mostly irrelevant. If you play a bunch right when the set comes out, you'll be most of the way there. The playtesters know what some serious players thought of the cards, but soon you will too.

I think it does matter for the league's A division, where Mic especially will have an edge. Outside of the league, Mic was beating you anyway, so the advantage is not so meaningful. Stef also playtested but not as much as Mic, and again was beating you anyway. If there's a tournament then jsh357 will have an edge too; he hasn't been in the league. I am not trying to put down the other playtesters; jsh357 just played a ton and might participate in a tournament.

I would personally try to schedule competitive stuff for right when the set shows up online, which, who knows when that is. But you know, it's fun to specifically be trying to figure out the cards competitively. I don't know if people would prefer banning the playtesters (presumably all of them, not counting the people who just got to play the set for one day at one of those two things) or allowing them; I would lean towards allowing them given the size of the community (small).

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
+4

Really? You aren't excited to see which cards will be previewed or to read the blurbs? I'm still pretty stoked.
Man. Do I have to find old jokes to put in these? I did not write hilarious previews. I got in, I previewed, I got out.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
+3

Real question -- are playtesters privy to the cards in their final forms?  Or, due to being playtesters, is it possible that the cards they played with have changed a great deal since they played with them?  I mean, you're not still testing the final versions on isotropic... are you?!
I think one or two cards had tiny non-functional wording changes that never made it into my prototype, but I mentioned those changes to the playtesters. At least one was the way LastFootnote had it in his mock-ups already, I just hadn't caught it for my prototype.

Now people who saw the cards in Chicago, they will be in for plenty of surprises.

The cards are way locked in. They have to go out to translators (and have). It would be a real hassle to try to get something changed now, if it was even possible. Playtesting mostly ended in October.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile

I think that having the beginning of a League season coincide with the release of the new set online would be pretty amazing.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile

To people concerned about being left in the dust by playtesters, I won most of my games at the January meetup, and I wouldn't really consider myself a top tier player.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile

To people concerned about being left in the dust by playtesters, I won most of my games at the January meetup, and I wouldn't really consider myself a top tier player.

I'm not sure that's relevant.  At the January meetup, weren't you all playing with new cards for the first time?

A relevant example would be if you play WanderingWinder on Day 1 of launch and defeat him 70 times in a row because you already have months of practice with the cards and he has to read them each time.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
+2

The game is too complicated for us testers to have that huge of an advantage.  Besides, I spent most of my testing time goofing around with ambitious ideas, so I learned nothing.  I don't even remember the cards.  I think one of them was a zeppelin.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
+2

I'm not sure that's relevant.  At the January meetup, weren't you all playing with new cards for the first time?

A relevant example would be if you play WanderingWinder on Day 1 of launch and defeat him 70 times in a row because you already have months of practice with the cards and he has to read them each time.

I think you're worrying over nothing, man. Yes, the playtesters may have a short-lived advantage. I doubt it will last long.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
+2

The top players have played enough games that I think their intuition will be very good after a very short while, because they know the game so well. You won't beat WW 70 times in a row; more like 7 at the very most while he tries out each of the cards a couple times. Besides, each game will have less than two cards from the new expansion on average.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 10:17:42 pm by liopoil »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
+2

Dominion skill is going to trump knowledge of the cards. Jonts proved that when we played; he had never touched Guilds before, and we were playing with all Guilds, but that didn't help me at all.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile

I think you're worrying over nothing, man. Yes, the playtesters may have a short-lived advantage. I doubt it will last long.

Hey, I'm just a spectator, man.  I'm just worried about humidor-style complaints when the world #1 changes over an Adventures card.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
+1

... I learned nothing.  I don't even remember the cards.  I think one of them was a zeppelin.

That balloon ain't gunna fly.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile

Even if playtesters receive some short-term advantage, it's going to be mitigated in no time.
As soon as the new expansion is online people gonna play their assess off, and share their experience on the forum and through streams, so the knowledge about new cards power level gonna be "common" in just a week or couple. That knowledge is not going to be final indeed, but its further development gonna flow with the whole community, not only within the small group of playtesters.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile

I'm out of the loop, what are all these things in the pool?
Reserve Cards?
Events?
Other two?

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile

I'm out of the loop, what are all these things in the pool?
Reserve Cards?
Events?
Other two?

Your guess is as good as ours.

Most of ours, anyway.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
+2

The top players have played enough games that I think their intuition will be very good after a very short while, because they know the game so well. You won't beat WW 70 times in a row; more like 7 at the very most while he tries out each of the cards a couple times. Besides, each game will have less than two cards from the new expansion on average.

You might beat me 7 times in a row now, with existing cards. It's been known to happen.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
+8

Obviously the most important question here..... How is this going to affect Mafia.?
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile

Do we know what the plans and timeframe are for getting it online?  I played a couple games in Chicago but otherwise I'm completely out of the loop.
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
+8

I'm looking forward to what new types of beards we will see.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 24 queries.