Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: Lack of quality posts  (Read 32973 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
Re: Lack of quality posts
« Reply #100 on: April 02, 2015, 01:33:24 pm »
+1

Learning for the first time that people don't think scout jokes are funny anymore :/ I guess that makes sense, considering some of you have been hearing them for a half decade. There is so much to learn when you are new to a community.

This is funny because your post-count title is "Scout".

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 02, 2015, 01:36:12 pm »
+1

Learning for the first time that people don't think scout jokes are funny anymore :/ I guess that makes sense, considering some of you have been hearing them for a half decade. There is so much to learn when you are new to a community.

Come on, imagine how Donald X feels when we mercilessly deride a card he spent who-knows-how-much-time working on.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 02, 2015, 01:38:17 pm »
+3

Come on, imagine how Donald X feels when we mercilessly deride a card he spent who-knows-how-much-time working on.

It's okay, he realizes they can't all be the most respectful forum community ever.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 02, 2015, 01:40:19 pm »
+2

If there is a serious post for serious discussion and it starts to go off the rails, just speak up and ask for people to get back on track.  I'm sure most will respect the request and they can move the tangent to a new thread if they wish.  If it's especially egregious, you can report the first off-topic post and ask theory to fork the thread himself.

Sometimes I get over-invested in some arguments (sorry) and sometimes I go off-topic, but such is the nature of conversation.  It flows.  If I go off topic and somebody points it out, I will certainly try my best to reign it in.  I have confidence that others in this forum would do the same.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 02, 2015, 01:46:56 pm »
+5

The thing about Scout jokes is that most of the conceptual space has been explored. I mean, it's a 4 cost card, it's not good, it puts victory cards in your hand. As true as "they can't all be the best card ever" is, it's also true that "one of them has to be the worst card ever." It was Scout. We get it.

Moat? in spoilers, that was Ozle's joke, the joke was that Ozle guesses moat for all the puzzles, but for a while he didn't explain he was doing it non-seriously, and so you were like, wait why is this guy guessing Moat for this puzzle, and you would like, think about it, till like 8 puzzles in and then you were like, OH, he's just a joker. That was hilarious. Then when someone else did it the first time, that was also funny for similar reasons. But now it doesn't have much going for it.

Mine/Mint -- Eh. Isotropic hasnt been online in like, 2 years, do people really still confuse these cards?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 02, 2015, 02:15:15 pm »

Moat? in spoilers, that was Ozle's joke, the joke was that Ozle guesses moat for all the puzzles, but for a while he didn't explain he was doing it non-seriously, and so you were like, wait why is this guy guessing Moat for this puzzle, and you would like, think about it, till like 8 puzzles in and then you were like, OH, he's just a joker. That was hilarious. Then when someone else did it the first time, that was also funny for similar reasons. But now it doesn't have much going for it.

Hey, I got a Moat? joke in, and it actually worked as a serious answer!
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #106 on: April 02, 2015, 02:19:52 pm »
+1

Jokes become funny when you repeat them often enough.

Mine/Mint -- Eh. Isotropic hasnt been online in like, 2 years, do people really still confuse these cards?

The joke is mostly funny because both words are homonyms, not just because of the confusion. Courtyard/Crossroads jokes aren't funny.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 02, 2015, 02:22:17 pm »
+13

These jokes are seriously annoying, we should just stick to the dominion stuff and discuss things like adults

Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #108 on: April 02, 2015, 02:56:23 pm »

Pic also related.

Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 02, 2015, 05:53:22 pm »
+5

sacrificed rigor for the sake of brevity
This is a pet peeve of mine about internet writing: prioritizing simplicity over actually being correct. Stating the assumptions required for a conclusion adds value, because it helps the reader judge when the advice applies and when it doesn't.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 02, 2015, 06:07:14 pm »
+1

Thank you for illustrating the point of my post.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 03, 2015, 03:05:31 am »
+2

As for the [serious]-tag, I haven't understood Adam to have a very strict banning/moderation rule on this. You may say without it it doesn't work, but I think it would.  It also doesn't have to work perfectly, it's not to prevent people making jokes because we are so emotionally invested in the topic that we couldn't stand being joked about it, it's to prevent the topic to get derailed in jokes and edge cases.

You make you're scout joke because this time it's really funny, go for it (I even upvoted the forumgame joke some posts above because it really caught me off guard there), maybe you get 5 upvotes less because "you don't joke on a serious topic". But I imagine more importantly it will not be replied by 3 more Scout jokes, 2 jokes and an edgecase how Scout could indeed be usefull in this situation, but people just let it sit there, maybe laugh maybe not, and let the thread go it's intended way from there on.

Only problem I see there is that everybody than thinks that their topic is so important that it needs a serious tag, the jokes can be done in the other threads.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 03, 2015, 07:08:51 pm »
+9

I'm strongly opposed to invite-only threads, if that's still being considered. Not being invited to such a thread sends the message that "you are not good enough. Come back when you've got a higher Iso level or Tournament result". Everyone should feel like they have the potential to contribute meaningfully to the discussion.

I don't care how many Moat jokes Ozle has made. If we're talking about Moat and he has something insightful to say about it, I want to hear about it. Looking through the previews thread, I saw a few new posters who were bringing up good points and questions about the cards. You can't discourage that.

I like jokes sprinkled into serious discussions. It makes reading through threads less intense. The real problem is threads getting derailed towards topics that many members of the forum don't want to participate in. Those could be running jokes, but also serious arguments about semantics with no jokes in it. But those discussions matter to some people, and moving those discussions to separate threads seems like the most appropriate course of action. Like, the comma thing in the Adventures previews could have been its own thread. People care about commas.

But running jokes, it's a bit harder to justify moving to it's own thread (though hey, the Sage jokes were moved to its own thread). To minimize those, I think a tactful prod back towards the original point of discussion should work for the most part. Clear expectations in the OP are also an option, but it's a pain to always have to explicitly mention those in an OP. I can understand wanting to have commonly accepted rules for certain types of topics.

I think the problem is most pronounced in the general discussion subforum where the tone of discussion is the most varied. game reports and help subforums don't see lots of jokes, nor does the puzzles subforum. This suggests to me that the problem of thread derailment is a bit overstated.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 20 queries.