Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Card Idea: Monopoly  (Read 5844 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Card Idea: Monopoly
« on: February 25, 2015, 05:28:45 pm »
+3

Trying to think of refreshingly new Attacks. This one is maybe a bit too much like Taxman, but let me know what you think.

Monopoly
Types: Action - Attack
Cost: $4
Gain a card costing up to $4. Each other player with 5 or more cards in hand discards a copy of it (or reveals a hand without it).

Once a pile runs out, it's immune to the attack. Maybe it's too harsh. Perhaps it could cost $5 and give a small vanilla bonus.

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
Re: Card Idea: Monopoly
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 05:34:54 pm »
+1

It resembles Taxman, but doesn't have the "bad Mine" effect, which will probably make it more viable. I like it.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 06:17:59 pm »
+2

Man, I was expecting something like:

Monopoly
Cost: $5
Gain a house token. All other players throw a dice. If they rolled a 1, they trash one card from the top of their deck for each house token you have. Gain a copper from the supply or the trash for every card trashed this way.
--
In games using this, the game only ends if only one player has cards in his deck or discard pile.

EDIT: for more obviousness.

Your version looks like it's going to be painful before the villages run out. Looks interesting.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 06:40:44 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 06:41:53 pm »
+6

Monopoly
Gain a house token. All other players throw a dice. If they rolled a 1, they trash one card from the top of their deck for each house token you have. If anyone of them did, gain a copper for every house token you have.
--
In games using this, the game only ends if only one player has cards in his deck or discard pile.

Your version looks like it's going to be painful before the villages run out. Looks interesting.

Whereas I was expecting something like:

Name a card. All players must give you all their copies of that card.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 06:50:02 am »
+2

Monopoly
Gain a house token. All other players throw a dice. If they rolled a 1, they trash one card from the top of their deck for each house token you have. If anyone of them did, gain a copper for every house token you have.
--

Whereas I was expecting something like:

Name a card. All players must give you all their copies of that card.

Whereas I was expecting something like this:

Cost: $29.99 (More for pointless themed edition)

Roll dice for at least 2 hours. Add up all the best dice rolls. whomever has the best rolls has won. The Winner can then claim it was due to skill and strategy and that people who don't agree with that are playing the wrong rules anyway.
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 08:13:36 am »
+2

Roll dice for at least 2 hours.

What sort of weird blitz monopoly variant do you play at your house?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 08:46:15 am »
+1

Roll dice for at least 2 hours.

What sort of weird blitz monopoly variant do you play at your house?

At least....

Also, there is NO monopoly at my house, there is even a sign to that effect. (Also says No Disco and No Twister)

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 10:12:18 am »
+2

Monopoly isn't a good game, but it can be played quickly if the rules are followed.  Many of the widely used house rules, and people's good (or bad?) nature drastically lengthen the game.

The worst offenders:
(This rule is usually ignored) If a player lands on a property and does not purchase it, it is auctioned to the highest bidder.

Putting fines in the middle and giving it to players who land of Free Parking is not a rule and prevents money from being removed from the game (which prevents it from ending).

Regardless of the rules, people like to make stupid deals when they bankrupt other players. This makes no sense... it's like people don't actually want to win at Monopoly.  I mean it's a bit like not piling out a Dominion game because you want to Ambassador all the Curses to your opponent instead.

This doesn't really make the game any better, but the game really shouldn't last over 2 hours if played by the official rules

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 11:42:40 am »
+1

The biggest problem with Monopoly is player elimination. Luck is a secondary issue, but Monopoly (and Risk) suffer from player elimination rules.

There are good variant rules to compensate for this, but the game was not originally designed for those rules. So it becomes less Monopoly and more "a game played on a Monopoly board."
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 11:45:25 am »

Yeah, player elimination being an un-fun game mechanic is probably the primary factor behind players making deals to avoid it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 11:56:16 am »

I don't think player elimination is inherently un-fun though. It's better to be eliminated than continue a game you can't win. It also usually allows you to concede the game without ruining it for everyone else, which is cool.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 11:56:41 am »
+10

Now, what did we learn today? That if you want people to discuss a card idea, you don't name it Monopoly.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 02:40:55 pm »

TADA!

If you post it, they will come...

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 05:22:25 pm »
+4

Now, what did we learn today? That if you want people to discuss a card idea, you don't name it Monopoly.

By the time I got to this post I had genuinely forgotten this was a variant card thread.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 12:33:59 pm »

Regardless of the rules, people like to make stupid deals when they bankrupt other players. This makes no sense... it's like people don't actually want to win at Monopoly.  I mean it's a bit like not piling out a Dominion game because you want to Ambassador all the Curses to your opponent instead.

Hey, one time someone was going bankrupt to someone else, and I convinced the guy going bankrupt to give his properties to me before he went bankrupt so I could get back at the guy who bankrupted him.  That's a good play, right?
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 12:39:45 pm »
+2

Hey, one time someone was going bankrupt to someone else, and I convinced the guy going bankrupt to give his properties to me before he went bankrupt so I could get back at the guy who bankrupted him.  That's a good play, right?

No, because at the end of the day you are still playing monopoly...

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2015, 12:56:34 pm »

That's what has happened in ever single game of Monopoly I've ever played, and it's the reason I refuse to ever play it again. Kingmaking can be a problem in a lot of games, but for whatever reason, Monopoly just seems to encourage it.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

polot38

• Baron
  • Respect: +35
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2015, 01:19:16 pm »
+2

Trying to think of refreshingly new Attacks. This one is maybe a bit too much like Taxman, but let me know what you think.

Monopoly
Gain a card costing up to $4. Each other player with 5 or more cards in hand discards a copy of it (or reveals a hand without it).

Once a pile runs out, it's immune to the attack. Maybe it's too harsh. Perhaps it could cost $5 and give a small vanilla bonus.

It might be too swingy, even at $5. The problem is that if you can get your engine running, there is a good chance that you could gobble up all the villages pretty easily and really prevent your opponent from using any kind of non-treasure payload, and prevent your opponent from playing it. What might be a better idea is something like:
Gain a card costing up to $4. The player to your left reveals their hand; if they reveal a copy of the card you gained, +1 Card +1 Action

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2015, 04:19:40 pm »
+1

Monopoly

It might be too swingy, even at $5. The problem is that if you can get your engine running, there is a good chance that you could gobble up all the villages pretty easily and really prevent your opponent from using any kind of non-treasure payload, and prevent your opponent from playing it. What might be a better idea is something like:
Gain a card costing up to $4. The player to your left reveals their hand; if they reveal a copy of the card you gained, +1 Card +1 Action

Except you should avoid a conditional +Action that you don't know if you'll get or not. Tournament purposefully had the action not be part of the conditional, because otherwise you don't know if it's worth the risk to play it at all.

polot38

• Baron
  • Respect: +35
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 05:40:15 pm »
+1

Monopoly

Except you should avoid a conditional +Action that you don't know if you'll get or not. Tournament purposefully had the action not be part of the conditional, because otherwise you don't know if it's worth the risk to play it at all.

Okay, this is true, but the point stands; being a benefit (like +$2) to the user rather than an attack would make the card far less swingy.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2015, 05:51:02 pm »
+1

The more you gain a card for the attack, the more you are susceptible to that attack yourself (because you have more copies of it). Until the supply pile is empty, of course.

There are enough self-balancing forces in this card that I think the only way we can know its power is by playtesting it.

And yes, it's swingy.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2015, 07:55:21 pm »

Monopoly
Go directly to jail. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

ftfy
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2015, 10:07:46 pm »
+3

Monopoly Action $3

+2 Cards
+1 Buy
You may discard a Treasure from your hand. If you do, gain a House from the House pile

House--Action/Reaction $0

+1 Action
Trash this and another copy of House. If you do, gain a Hotel from the Hotel pile.
--------
When another player plays an Action card, you may discard this from your hand. If you do, he must discard a Treasure or reveal a hand containing no Treasure cards. This is not in the Supply.

Hotel--Action/Attack $0
+1 Action

Each other player with four or more cards in his hand must discard a Treasure that is not a Copper or reveal a hand containing no such Treasures. Gain a Gold.
----
This card is not in the Supply.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 10:09:47 pm by Marcory »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.