Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion: Legacy  (Read 3399 times)

Spellbound

• Steward
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
Dominion: Legacy
« on: February 24, 2015, 11:58:50 pm »
+1

Theme:
-Slow game
-Focus on Copper

Text approaching...

Servants [1] (Action)
+$1
+1 Card
Draw a number of cards equals to the number of empty Supply piles.

Furnace [3] (Action)
Trash a card from your hand, if you do, draw a card.
You may discard a card, if you do, trash 2 cards from your hand.

Plantation [3] (Action)
Reveal 2 cards on top of your deck and choose one; gain a card cost less the chosen card. Put the rest back in any order.

Altar Boy [3] (Action)
+1 Action
Reveal the 4 top cards of your deck. You may trash the revealed Curse cards. Put the other cards on top of your deck in any order.

Scourge [3] (Action-Attack)
+$2
Each other player gains a Curse card, if he does, you gain a copper per each.

Modern Village [4] (Action)
+2 Cards
+1 Buy
Reveal your hand, discard every Copper in your hand, then +1 Action per Copper discarded this way.

Extortion [4] (Action)
+$2
Trash this card. Put an Extortion token on a Supply pile. When a player gains a card from that pile, remove one Extortion token on its top and that player gain a Copper instead of that card.

Archway [4] (Action)
Discard any number of Victory or Curse cards; +1 Card and +$1 per each discarded card.

Investor [4] (Action)
+1 Card
+1 Action
Reveal 3 cards on top of your deck. Put a revealed Treasure card into your hand, discard the rest.

Cicerone [4] (Action)
Reveal a card on top of your deck then draw it, repeat until you draw a Victory card, or a Cicerone, or until you have 9 cards in your hand.
Then discard a Victory card, if you do not, trash this card.

Moneychanger [4] (Action-Attack)
You may trash 3 cards, if you do, gain a Gold and a Copper.
Each other player with at least 4 cards in his hand discards a card, then gain a Copper per $1 of its price.
Each other player may discard a Copper, if he does, he draws 1 card.

Taskmaster [5] (Action)
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Reveal your hand, then trash a card with the least cost.
When you trashed this, trash your hand.

Mill [5] (Action)
+3 Cards
When you discard this from play, you may set this card aside and only draw 3 cards (instead of 5) in this Clean-up phase, then put this card on top of your deck.

Warlock [5] (Action-Attack)
+2 Cards
Each other player gains a Copper.

Philantropist [5] (Action-Attack)
$2
Each other player discards a Victory card from his hand, if he does, he gains 2 Coppers; putting them on top of his deck (or reveals a hand with no Victory card).

Hallway [5] (Victory)
Worth 1 VP for every 5 Coppers in your deck (rounded down).

Repository [6] (Action-Victory)
3 VP
+$3
You may trash this card, then gain a Gold, putting it on top of your deck.

Feel free to comment your opinions :D

Edit1:Fix Warlock, Quarry (now Repository), Extortion and Archway
Edit2:Fix a lot
Edit3:Fix Extortion, putting in token concept
Edit4:Fix Cicerone, again
Edit5:Fix Taskmaster and Modern Village
Edit6:I give up on Fencer, please forget that it ever exist.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 12:15:38 am by Spellbound »

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +613
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Legacy
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 12:09:22 am »

Just going to comment on the first few things that stood out to me.

Extortion [3] (Action)
+1 Action
Choose a Supply pile that is not empty, put 2 Coppers from the Copper pile on top of the chosen pile. Those Coppers has the same cost as the norm card of the chosen pile.

Firstly there are  mechanics issues with this: you can't really keep track of how much the Copper is supposed to cost, because you're not meant to look through a Supply pile.
Secondly, this seems like it just sort of shuts down the game.
I mean there's slow and there's "I have to spend $16 on Coppers to get to the Provinces" slow.

Archway [5] (Action)
Discard any number of Victory or Curse cards; +$1 per each discarded card.

So, a less powerful version of Secret Chamber at more than twice the cost?

Quarry [6] (Action-Victory)
3 VP
+$3

There's already a card called Quarry.

Spellbound

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 12:22:52 am »

Just going to comment on the first few things that stood out to me.

Extortion [3] (Action)
+1 Action
Choose a Supply pile that is not empty, put 2 Coppers from the Copper pile on top of the chosen pile. Those Coppers has the same cost as the norm card of the chosen pile.

Firstly there are  mechanics issues with this: you can't really keep track of how much the Copper is supposed to cost, because you're not meant to look through a Supply pile.
Secondly, this seems like it just sort of shuts down the game.
I mean there's slow and there's "I have to spend $16 on Coppers to get to the Provinces" slow.

Archway [5] (Action)
Discard any number of Victory or Curse cards; +$1 per each discarded card.

So, a less powerful version of Secret Chamber at more than twice the cost?

Quarry [6] (Action-Victory)
3 VP
+$3

There's already a card called Quarry.

Edited accordingly. Thank you for pointing them out.

I did realized 2 Coppers would be very OP. Maybe a nerf and cost increasing would help.
I still want it to have the 'put a card on a pile' ability. Maybe some rule changing could work?
Like when you put a card on another card pile this way, put the blue-backed card under the deck with its cost visible.

I intended Archway as +$2 per card discard, but then it would be too broken.

I changed the name from Quarry to Repository.

Thanks again :D All comments are welcome.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 07:04:34 am »

Servants [1] (Action)
+$1
+1 Card
Draw a number of cards equals to the number of empty Supply piles.

Seems a bit narrow, but it's probably fine.

Furnace [2] (Action)
+1 Action
Trash a card, if you do, draw a card.
Trash 2 cards, if you do, discard a card.

This is way too powerful. I think this would be balanced at $5.

Fencer [2] (Action-Attack)
+1 Card
+1 Action
Each other player discards a card. If it is an Action card, he may draw 1 card.

This is too powerful as well. You can easily buy lots of these, and unless your opponent doesn't have anything but Action cards, he'll have to discard his every card every turn. Increasing the price will make it harder, but it won't fix the issue. It's probably a good idea to make it only affect opponents with 4 or more cards in hand.

Modern Village [3] (Action)
+2 Cards
+2 Actions
Reveal your hand, then discard every Copper in your hand.

This is too powerful, too. It's a level 2 City and the drawback doesn't do anything if you don't have any Coppers in your hand. And there's also the problem that if you increase the price to, say, $5, it's still too powerful in games with Copper trashing, but it's probably too weak in games without Copper trashing. Discarding every Copper in your hand is a cool idea, but I think the benefit you get from the card has to scale with the number of Coppers discarded. For example, you could do "+2 Actions / Reveal your hand, then discard every Copper in your hand and +1 card for each Copper discarded this way".

Taskmaster [3] (Action)
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Reveal your hand, then trash a card with the least cost.
When you trash this, put it into your discard pile.

Again, too powerful. It's probably fine at $5.

Plantation [3] (Action)
Reveal a Card on top of your deck, then gain a card cost less than it.

This seems a bit weak. You don't want to get this in the early game since you would just reveal Coppers and Estates, and getting a gainer in the late game is not usually very good because there won't be enough time to play it enough times to be useful. It's also very risky to play it even in the late game, as you might reveal a card costing $2 or $3, or sometimes even $4, and then you have to gain a card that you don't want. I can't think of a good fix right away, but it doesn't sound impossible to make it work.

Altar Boy [3] (Action)
+1 Action
Reveal the 4 top cards of your deck. You may trash the revealed Curse cards. Put the other cards on top of your deck in any order.

This is probably fine. It doesn't really do much in games without Cursers, but at least it's still almost as good as Scout and it costs less so there's that. You might want to make it just $2 though, and make the Curse trashing mandatory because again, it's simpler and you almost always want to do it anyway.

Scourge [3] (Action-Attack)
+1 Card
+1 Action
Each other player gains a Curse card, if he does, you gain a copper per each.

This sounds like a fun card. You might want to make it a bit more difficult though; either increase the price to $4 or make it non-terminal, otherwise games might get ugly when everyone buys two of these at the start of the game.

Investor [4] (Action)
+1 Card
+1 Action
Reveal 4 cards on top of your deck. Put a revealed Treasure card into your hand, discard the rest.

Sounds good. Maybe consider making it reveal only 3 cards, to slow down the cycling a bit.

Extortion [4] (Action)
Choose a Supply pile in the Kingdom that is not empty, put a Copper from the Copper pile on top of the chosen pile. That Copper has the same cost as the norm card of the chosen pile.
(You may not put a Copper on any basic Supply pile this way)
I would make this an one-shot. Otherwise it has the potential to make games really boring.

Cicerone [4] (Action)
Reveal a card on top of your deck then draw it, repeat until you draw a Victory card this way.
If you do not reveal a Victory card this way, reveal your hand, trash every Cicerone in your hand and this card.

This is too powerful again. It's very easy to set up mega-turn engines with this card; one copy of it guarantees that you'll draw your entire deck as long as you don't have any Victory cards in it, and if you end the game that turn, it doesn't matter that you had to trash the card.

Moneychanger [4] (Action-Attack)
You may trash 3 cards, if you do, gain a Gold and a Copper.
Each other player discard a card, then gain a Copper per $1 of its price.

This sounds like it could be fine.

Mill [5] (Action)
+3 Cards
When you discard this from play, you may set this card aside and only draw 3 cards (instead of 5) in this Clean-up phase, then put this card on top of your deck.

Sounds fine too.

Archway [5] (Action)
Discard any number of Victory or Curse cards; +1 Card and +$1 per each discarded card.

Sounds a bit weak. It would probably be fine at $4.

Warlock [5] (Action-Attack)
+3 Cards
Put a number of Coppers equals to the number of players from top of its Supply pile onto top of Curse pile (Coppers on the Curse pile are considered Curse cards until bought).
Then each other player gains a Curse card.

Why not just make it gain Coppers normally?

Philantropist [5] (Action-Attack)
$2
Each other player discards a Victory card from his hand, then gains 2 Coppers; putting them on top of his deck (or reveals a hand with no Victory card).

Do they gain Coppers if they don't have the Victory card?

Hallway [5] (Victory)
Worth 1 VP for every 5 Coppers in your deck (rounded down).

The problem with Victory cards that give VP for Coppers is that they're pretty similar to Gardens. And Gardens is already a thing.

Repository [6] (Action-Victory)
3 VP
+$3

This is probably fine too.

Also, in general, a lot of your cards have +1 actions. It's not really a problem, but you should consider removing it from some of them (and if necessary, do something else to make up for it power-wise), since the thing that makes Action cards interesting is that you have to work a bit harder in order to play many of them.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 07:45:53 am »

What happens if a Copper goes on top of Sir Martin?

Spellbound

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 08:13:26 am »

To Awaclus
You point out a lot of good idea (especially Extortion one-shot nerf) and I thank you so much for your effort.
-After some thinking, I agree that Fencer is maybe a bit OP if it is non-terminal, maybe let it be terminal is better, then you will need an insane numbers of +Actions to pin your opponents, again this is likely possible. Maybe I'll figure something out for this card later.
-Extortion is now a one-shot
-Warlock is now a 'Copperer' (I did think that the Copper will stay there if you get Moated, but maybe it's unnecessary as a text)
-I give Cicerone a silly nerf, may be it sounds too lazy, but should do fine for now
-I tripped up at Philanthropist, fixed now
-I did make the 2nd text of Taskmaster so you can't get rid of him. Which hurts you in long term, but it also can protect the hand from being destroyed by another Taskmaster, Is that the issue?

I haven't play with Knights much so I forget that case exists.
I would say the cost is the same as the randomizer card. So $5.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 08:22:19 am by Spellbound »

qdread

• Thief
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 11:16:49 am »
+1

To Awaclus
You point out a lot of good idea (especially Extortion one-shot nerf) and I thank you so much for your effort.
-After some thinking, I agree that Fencer is maybe a bit OP if it is non-terminal, maybe let it be terminal is better, then you will need an insane numbers of +Actions to pin your opponents, again this is likely possible. Maybe I'll figure something out for this card later.
-Warlock is now a 'Copperer' (I did think that the Copper will stay there if you get Moated, but maybe it's unnecessary as a text)
-I give Cicerone a silly nerf, may be it sounds too lazy, but should do fine for now
-I did make the 2nd text of Taskmaster so you can't get rid of him. Which hurts you in long term, but it also can protect the hand from being destroyed by another Taskmaster, Is that the issue?

You could always put tokens similar to Embargo on top instead of coppers, then you could still see the top card of the deck. If anyone buys a card from the pile, instead the token is removed and they gain a copper.

Spellbound

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 12:02:59 pm »

To Awaclus

You could always put tokens similar to Embargo on top instead of coppers, then you could still see the top card of the deck. If anyone buys a card from the pile, instead the token is removed and they gain a copper.

Another good idea, sir. Thank you very much :D

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 12:09:59 pm »

Lots of great cards here. I'll get to reviewing them soon.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 20 queries.