Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Dominion Online on Steam Greenlight  (Read 38003 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Online on Steam Greenlight
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2015, 03:15:19 pm »
+1

Also, why is it not called Steamlighting? :/

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2015, 03:16:13 pm »
+7

Also, why is it not called Steamlighting? :/

You should e-mail GabeN and ask.  He responds to all questions that aren't about HL3.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 03:17:30 pm by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3961
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2015, 03:16:36 pm »
+18

I will Greenlight it, but they have to agree to my payment collection scheme.

Each completed order is represented on their screen as a dollar bill.  They have to choose whether to collect or refund it by dragging the dollar bill into the "revenue" stack or the "refund" stack.  The stacks are right next to each other, and there is no "collect all as revenue" button.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2015, 03:39:21 pm »
+1

Each completed order is represented on their screen as a dollar bill.  They have to choose whether to collect or refund it by dragging the dollar bill into the "revenue" stack or the "refund" stack.  The stacks are right next to each other, and there is no "collect all as revenue" button.

Also, once you drag to a stack, you have to go to the second window, wherein you can open up a popup window that allows you to confirm the drop.  The drop is not finalized until confirmed, and each confirmation must take place before the next drag can proceed.  Also, drops cannot be undone after, or before, confirming.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2015, 03:40:38 pm »
+1

There is a "refund all" button though.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2015, 03:47:14 pm »
+5

Also, once you drag to a stack, you have to go to the second window, wherein you can open up a popup window that allows you to confirm the drop.  The drop is not finalized until confirmed, and each confirmation must take place before the next drag can proceed.  Also, drops cannot be undone after, or before, confirming.

Also, the program keeps losing their login and it starts playing the Goko Dominion theme each time they renew it.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2015, 03:48:19 pm »
+3

Did I mention that the dollar bills are 3x as big as the collection stack, so it's hard to pinpoint where exactly things are going?

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2015, 04:25:59 pm »
+1

Can someone enlighten me as to what greenlighting on Steam actually means? I'm completely unfamiliar with Steam and the only vague impression I have of it is that of an elaborate licensing server to counter PC piracy.

If I have no interest in playing Dominion on Steam and my position is "first make sure the web version properly works before you even spend a second thinking about any other platform" (not as a general design philosophy, but in this specific instance), shouldn't I prefer them to get shown the brightest red light imaginable?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2015, 04:34:55 pm »
+1

Can someone enlighten me as to what greenlighting on Steam actually means?

Basically, if enough people vote for it, the game with be sold/available on Steam. I'm not sure exactly what that means for a free-to-play game that has a web interface other than free publicity.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2015, 04:38:20 pm »
+2

Can someone enlighten me as to what greenlighting on Steam actually means? I'm completely unfamiliar with Steam and the only vague impression I have of it is that of an elaborate licensing server to counter PC piracy.

If I have no interest in playing Dominion on Steam and my position is "first make sure the web version properly works before you even spend a second thinking about any other platform" (not as a general design philosophy, but in this specific instance), shouldn't I prefer them to get shown the brightest red light imaginable?

Steam is the primary platform most core gamers play PC games on.  Greenlight is a system that indie developers apply to to try and get their games on Steam, or just to advertise by asking people to greenlight it.  You put the game up, Steam users vote on whether it looks cool or not, then if it's accepted, you become a Steamworks developer who can upload whatever games you make to Steam.

(For the record it took me about 3 years to get accepted but it should be much easier for a company with a userbase ready to go)

This doesn't matter so much to you directly if you have no plans on playing using Steam, but it's extremely important for an indie developer to try and get on Steam as it improves visibility, especially if your game gets sold on the big sales Steam has a few times a year, which are pretty big hype factories in various gaming communities. If they get on, expect the number of users to rise.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2015, 05:08:56 pm »

Steam is the primary platform most core gamers play PC games on.  Greenlight is a system that indie developers apply to to try and get their games on Steam, or just to advertise by asking people to greenlight it.  You put the game up, Steam users vote on whether it looks cool or not, then if it's accepted, you become a Steamworks developer who can upload whatever games you make to Steam.

But MakingFun appears to already have a game on Steam: BloodRealm.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2015, 05:11:08 pm »

But MakingFun appears to already have a game on Steam: BloodRealm.

If they have, then I'm confused cause after I got greenlit it basically said I was a Steam developer now and could post other games in the future.  Perhaps I'm mistaken.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2015, 05:17:38 pm »
+2

Man, I thought MF was going to make an all-new version. This looks like Goko just with more junk. Seriously, they spent almost a year and a bunch of money for what?

Yeah I'm confused/disappointed too... I thought "new version" meant brand new; completely unrelated to what currently exists in Goko. I didn't think the look and feel would be the same at all.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2015, 05:22:08 pm »
+2

Man, I thought MF was going to make an all-new version. This looks like Goko just with more junk. Seriously, they spent almost a year and a bunch of money for what?

Yeah I'm confused/disappointed too... I thought "new version" meant brand new; completely unrelated to what currently exists in Goko. I didn't think the look and feel would be the same at all.

I'm not disappointed that it looks mostly the same; I like the Goko interface other than the log and chat. Mostly I'm pissed that they didn't fit Ruins and the Bane onto the main page (in case I haven't complained enough about that already).

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2015, 05:25:19 pm »

Mostly I'm pissed that they didn't fit Ruins and the Bane onto the main page (in case I haven't complained enough about that already).

It's absurd, it really is.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25710
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2015, 05:28:08 pm »
+12

My apologies for yelling.  It's just, without the log, you're essentially playing IRL Dominion, just with auto-shuffling.  Did you have trouble keeping track of things when you played Dominion with real cards?
Speaking as someone who has played both IRL and online, like, a lot, I find them to be noticeably different. Online goes much faster and has much less social interaction. Both of those things make the log more relevant than it would be IRL.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2015, 05:31:15 pm »

Playing with physical cards makes it a lot easier to keep track of things.  Like, shuffles, and in turn deck tracking. 

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2015, 05:31:33 pm »
+1

Mostly I'm pissed that they didn't fit Ruins and the Bane onto the main page (in case I haven't complained enough about that already).

It's absurd, it really is.

Comin' out of retirement to drop some truth.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2015, 05:36:20 pm »
+7

It's not retirement so much as lurking.

Wait, is it lurking if I post about lurking? Crap.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2015, 05:38:48 pm »
+4

My apologies for yelling.  It's just, without the log, you're essentially playing IRL Dominion, just with auto-shuffling.  Did you have trouble keeping track of things when you played Dominion with real cards?

Here's the thing... IRL Dominion is simply a different experience, and always will be, than online Dominion. In IRL Dominion, you are sitting with people, interacting with them, talking with them. Sure there's a chat function but that's not the same. 3 big differences:

1. Generally when I play in IRL, people tend to narrate their turns, or at least the important stuff. They'll say "I'll buy a Duchy" as they're grabbing one. When they play a Nobles, they'll say "Nobles for the actions". This gives a lot more than some flashy animation.

2. No matter how slow the animations are, they aren't going to have the same presence as someone reaching their hand out to the middle of the table and picking up a card. And often they get another player to hand them the card they want to buy when it's not easy to reach.

3. Even IRL, sometimes someone takes a really fast turn while I was looking at my own hand, and I didn't see what happened. So I'll say "what did you just buy?" And they'll tell me. That's a lot easier than opening up a log and looking for the thing that was last bought. Or using chat to ask what was just bought (and maybe getting a response, maybe not).

So while it would be nice in theory if online Dominion could imitate IRL Dominion as much as possible; it simply doesn't work that way. Just like how forum Mafia is quite different than IRL Mafia. Same basic game, same rules, etc; but a different play experience.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 25, 2015, 05:46:38 pm »

Well the good news here is that if the new version is disappointing enough, then maybe more people will switch over to playing Temporum online.  ;D

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 25, 2015, 06:54:08 pm »

I'm kinda sad that the transition to Unity means that we'll probably never again have a deck tracker a la drheld's extension. I know it isn't universally popular, but for me it was one of the key parts that made isotropic+extension fun. It'd be possible to do it with the current site, although there'd be issues to work out with the UI and match-making, and match-making is iffy enough as-is.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 25, 2015, 07:06:32 pm »
+9

Here's the thing... IRL Dominion is simply a different experience, and always will be, than online Dominion. In IRL Dominion, you are sitting with people, interacting with them, talking with them. Sure there's a chat function but that's not the same. 3 big differences:

1. Generally when I play in IRL, people tend to narrate their turns, or at least the important stuff. They'll say "I'll buy a Duchy" as they're grabbing one. When they play a Nobles, they'll say "Nobles for the actions". This gives a lot more than some flashy animation.

2. No matter how slow the animations are, they aren't going to have the same presence as someone reaching their hand out to the middle of the table and picking up a card. And often they get another player to hand them the card they want to buy when it's not easy to reach.

3. Even IRL, sometimes someone takes a really fast turn while I was looking at my own hand, and I didn't see what happened. So I'll say "what did you just buy?" And they'll tell me. That's a lot easier than opening up a log and looking for the thing that was last bought. Or using chat to ask what was just bought (and maybe getting a response, maybe not).

So while it would be nice in theory if online Dominion could imitate IRL Dominion as much as possible; it simply doesn't work that way. Just like how forum Mafia is quite different than IRL Mafia. Same basic game, same rules, etc; but a different play experience.

So what you're saying is...

1. They need to develop narration instead of a viewable written log.

2. They need to animate a life-size hand reaching around the interface.

3. The EULA needs a clause making it a bannable offense to ignore chat questions or lie when answering them.

I don't know if any of these should be prioritized over the manual shuffling feature though.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 25, 2015, 07:15:51 pm »
+3

So...why are people arguing about whether online Dominion needs a log?

The log's already here, they're certainly not going to remove it to better approximate IRL Dominion or whatever. The more relevant point is that it's so inconvenient to use the log while playing the game, which somewhat ruins the point of having it in the first place.

If your argument is that there isn't enough screen space for the log, I think Salvager disproves that for desktop.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2015, 08:44:19 pm »
+2

Personally, I'd be in favor of going back to the isotropic method, if they are concerned about screen real-estate or whatnot, which is the "log" only shows the turns played since your last turn.  This more accurately would simulate IRL Dominion where you can ask a question about what someone bought etc.  I don't have a problem with the full log, but if they want to avoid scrolling as much as possible or taking up screen space, then that could be an option.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.