Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Really annoying when the same strategy works way better for my opponent than 4me  (Read 3431 times)

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20150222/log.516dc40ce4b082c74d7c8baa.1424653417998.txt
It really bugs me when me and my opponent try pretty much the same strategy and it works way better for my opponent than for me, and I don't see what we did differently that made the difference.
Here, the main difference I see is that my opponent got more native villages faster than me. Was that all that made the big difference?

Code: [Select]
Duchess, Native Village, Hermit, Lookout, Menagerie, Gardens, Marauder, Navigator, Young Witch, Bandit Camp, Minion

TrojH

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile

Your Lookout missed the reshuffle, and when you finally got to play it, you revealed Native Village-Menagerie-Hermit. I think you can blame bad luck for this one.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile

Is Native Village even worth fighting over here? Menagerie just seems so much better.

theright555J

• Moneylender
  • Dragged into engines kicking and screaming!
  • Respect: +171
    • View Profile
+1

With both Hermit available for curse trashing and one of the strongest possible banes in Menagerie, I would avoid Young Witch here and not certain Lookout is even worth it. Minion stack is quite powerful.  I'd probably open with either Hermit/Silver or Hermit/Hermit and try to get to 5 ASAP.
Wondering what my name refers to?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cribbage_statistics

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile

I'm not sure if you play Young Witch the first time you draw it. You probably do but knowing you're drawing Lookout dead hurts.

Your 1st Hermit should be a Lookout instead. I don't actually like Hermit very much here. You should mainly be using Minion/Menagerie to cycle your deck and having a non-terminal trasher you can use before a Minion discard is really imporant.

You probably want to pick up Hermit at some point, but that "some point" is when you are going through more of your deck and ideally have some Native Villages. Note that Lookout-Native Village combos as a pseudo trash, since you'll know the top card from Lookout.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
+5

To the point of the title of this thread, people act like this all the time, and I really do not understand it. What do you expect to happen? I guess you might think it will be perfectly the same, a tie. But that is so rare. When you play with totally the same strategy, obviously one of you or the other is going to get lucky and win almost every time.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile

I wish I could find that meme shark_bait posted a long time ago. It's the one with Leo, where he says "Alright, I've figured out the best strategy, I can't lose now." and Crane says "What if I play the same strategy, but better?"

Edit: to be more on-topic, if you don't see differences at a high level, look for differences at a finer level of detail. For example, that's how I noticed you bought Hermit on your second $3 hand instead of Lookout, whereas your opponent bought Lookout on their second $3 hand. You can't always copy buys exactly because buys depend on how the game is going, but looking into early buys is very helpful.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 01:11:10 am by Titandrake »
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
+1

Open Hermit/Lookout, gaining Hermit + Madman on your first Hermit play. Young Witch is terrible here.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
+2

To the point of the title of this thread, people act like this all the time, and I really do not understand it. What do you expect to happen? I guess you might think it will be perfectly the same, a tie. But that is so rare. When you play with totally the same strategy, obviously one of you or the other is going to get lucky and win almost every time.
Yes but why can't that be me all the time? :(

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
+2

Well, since I make my own shuffle luck, if my opponent tries to play the same strategy as me, I can just my my shuffle luck better than his, and I'll always win.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 21 queries.