Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: TEH OSCAHS  (Read 7421 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
TEH OSCAHS
« on: February 22, 2015, 08:05:52 pm »

Anybody else watching?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: TEH OSCAHS
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 08:10:13 pm »
+2

I am boycotting watching it because The Lego Movie got snubbed, both in Best Picture (particularly Into the Woods has no place being nominated) and Best Animated. The Boxtrolls was a putrid film and somehow got in over it; I have no idea what people are thinking anymore, and I know I'd just be angry and bored with the show with the type of decisions they're making.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 08:15:53 pm by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 08:24:09 pm »

I find it entertaining, though I certainly agree about The Lego Movie.  Here's hoping Everything is Awesome gets Best Song!
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 08:26:01 pm »

I am boycotting watching it because The Lego Movie got snubbed, both in Best Picture (particularly Into the Woods has no place being nominated) and Best Animated. The Boxtrolls was a putrid film and somehow got in over it; I have no idea what people are thinking anymore, and I know I'd just be angry and bored with the show with the type of decisions they're making.
I don't have TV, but I wouldn't watch it anyway because of stuff like this.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 08:37:42 pm »

I found several "live streams" online that were gone by 815pm.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 08:51:22 pm »
+2

Like Ichi above, I don't have TV.  Unlike Ichi, I wouldn't watch it anyway because I don't much care about a bunch of rich people congratulating other rich people.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

silvern

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 08:51:32 pm »
+1

I agree with "The Lego Movie"....but then, I think "Princess Kaguya" should win Best Animated Feature even with Lego in the running.
Probably it will end up going to Big Hero 6

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 08:53:27 pm »

I found several "live streams" online that were gone by 815pm.

Mine is still up... <.<

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 09:01:58 pm »
+1

Anybody else watching?

Usually I do. I don't know why I can't bring myself to care this year.

Like Ichi above, I don't have TV.  Unlike Ichi, I wouldn't watch it anyway because I don't much care about a bunch of rich people congratulating other rich people.

I don't begrudge rich people for being rich, nor do I think that they're artistic creations should go without recognition. The fanfare is a product of any form of entertainment. However, I do think that amount of money just "thrown away" is ridiculous. It's not my money, but it certainly could serve a much better cause.

That said, what's different here than sports? It's a large event with much hype and way too many people that make way too much money coming together to celebrate their achievements.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 09:16:16 pm »
+2

That said, what's different here than sports?

Nothing at all.  I actually have much more disdain for professional sports than for Hollywood; at least the latter (sometimes) provides art as entertainment, rather than just... entertainment as entertainment.  (And don't get me started on collegiate professional-in-all-but-name sports.)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 09:20:54 pm »

To be fair, the Oscars also has a fair amount of performances, from the host (who is Neil Patrick Harris this year), as well as from the Original Song nominees.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 11:53:35 pm »

All I want is to see NPH's opening, but all the videos on Youtube are already down...

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 08:34:45 am »

I saw part of it. My wife wanted to watch it for NPH, whom I did find amusing for the most part. He had a couple of jokes fall flat, but he did all right for the most part.

I don't know what that Everything Is Awesome song is, but it was utter crap. Is that a reinvented version from the Lego Movie, or is it just as crappy there too?

My Facebook newfeed exploded with OMGs about Lady Gaga's performance. I was mildly surprised, but I had heard that she had a great singing background. I just refer to her as the Jim Carrey of singing. She has the talent, but she squanders it on pop nonsense for the sake of a boatload of cash. Then again, if I got paid that much to do vapid shit, I'd squander my talents too.

It didn't really matter to me what movies won. It was kinda cool to see Grand Budapest Hotel win awards for its visual elements; having actually seen that movie, I can attest that it is a visually striking movie. But even if it didn't win, I would have just shrugged and moved on.

I actually did see the animated shorts at a theatre, so for once I was not sitting there blinking uncomprehendingly when they showed the tiny snippets from them. Pity they couldn't have been played for longer. They were generally pretty good. I suspected Feast would win. That was the short that preceded Big Hero Six in theatres. My wife preferred the Dam Keeper, which was a touching story that involved bullying. I like the record one (The Single Life, I think it was called). The only issue I had with that one was that the woman was animated inconsistently. Her breasts jiggled way too much, which isn't normally a problem except that the rest of her didn't jiggle so much. The rest of the character was drawn so rigid and inflexible while her boobs just swayed and bounced all over the place. Maybe that cost it the Oscar.

Hard to give an opinion about everything else. It did remind me that I do want to watch Birdman, though. It sounds like it lives up to the hype, which makes the hype even larger.
A man has no signature

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 09:07:36 am »

Glad that Birdman won. Its so awesome.

GBH was obviously gonna win for visuals, it really IS strike. I did not like the movie as the whole at all, tho.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 09:11:32 am »

I saw part of it. My wife wanted to watch it for NPH, whom I did find amusing for the most part. He had a couple of jokes fall flat, but he did all right for the most part.

I don't know what that Everything Is Awesome song is, but it was utter crap. Is that a reinvented version from the Lego Movie, or is it just as crappy there too?

My Facebook newfeed exploded with OMGs about Lady Gaga's performance. I was mildly surprised, but I had heard that she had a great singing background. I just refer to her as the Jim Carrey of singing. She has the talent, but she squanders it on pop nonsense for the sake of a boatload of cash. Then again, if I got paid that much to do vapid shit, I'd squander my talents too.

It didn't really matter to me what movies won. It was kinda cool to see Grand Budapest Hotel win awards for its visual elements; having actually seen that movie, I can attest that it is a visually striking movie. But even if it didn't win, I would have just shrugged and moved on.

I actually did see the animated shorts at a theatre, so for once I was not sitting there blinking uncomprehendingly when they showed the tiny snippets from them. Pity they couldn't have been played for longer. They were generally pretty good. I suspected Feast would win. That was the short that preceded Big Hero Six in theatres. My wife preferred the Dam Keeper, which was a touching story that involved bullying. I like the record one (The Single Life, I think it was called). The only issue I had with that one was that the woman was animated inconsistently. Her breasts jiggled way too much, which isn't normally a problem except that the rest of her didn't jiggle so much. The rest of the character was drawn so rigid and inflexible while her boobs just swayed and bounced all over the place. Maybe that cost it the Oscar.

Hard to give an opinion about everything else. It did remind me that I do want to watch Birdman, though. It sounds like it lives up to the hype, which makes the hype even larger.

You have to see everything is awesome in context, really.  It isn't meant to be a quality song; it's a play on modern pop music.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 09:40:55 am »

I saw Lady Gaga sing on Colbert once.. I remember not particularly enjoying it. 

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 09:41:46 am »

We watched NPH in Gone Girl instead.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2015, 11:48:01 am »
+1

Princess Kaguya was robbed!

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2015, 01:15:58 pm »
+3

I was hoping "Where's my pants?" would win Best Animation Short(s).

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

silvern

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 05:40:23 pm »

Princess Kaguya was robbed!
This is true.
I can't say I'm surprised though. I mean, check this out: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/package/brutally-honest-oscar-voter-ballot

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2015, 08:43:43 pm »

I never even heard of Big Hero 6 until today. I am so out of the loop.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2015, 11:42:39 pm »
+1

It was quite a good movie, actually.  There is the odd truth lurking in it, though, which is that Marvel stuff works so much better when animated than live-action.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 07:42:33 am »
+3

People still care about award ceremonies is what surprises me.

There are millions of them Now, which devalues them all.

Sure the oscars are the best, but it's still the best of a bunch of pointless wank.
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2015, 08:21:31 am »
+1

Wow, especially since it had been advertised quite prolifically when it came out. But then I kind of envy that sort of obliviousness. If you are at a point where you can miss Big Hero 6 being advertised, then you can also blot out political ads, Christmas advertising, and CNN's 24-hour coverage of a plane crash or celebrity trial. In that case, I think you're better off hearing about the movie several months after it came and went.

But Big Hero 6 was enjoyable, ayup.
A man has no signature

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2015, 08:28:30 am »

Wow, especially since it had been advertised quite prolifically when it came out. But then I kind of envy that sort of obliviousness. If you are at a point where you can miss Big Hero 6 being advertised, then you can also blot out political ads, Christmas advertising, and CNN's 24-hour coverage of a plane crash or celebrity trial. In that case, I think you're better off hearing about the movie several months after it came and went.

But Big Hero 6 was enjoyable, ayup.

This is why I love not having TV service.  Netflix and Amazon Prime 4eva.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 21 queries.