Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: The Golden Sombrero and other Dominion Slang  (Read 34164 times)

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
The Golden Sombrero and other Dominion Slang
« on: February 16, 2015, 10:35:57 am »
+6

I say a lot of things while I'm streaming Dominion. Some of them are intelligible, but as for the rest, well we have this thread. Some things are easy to understand, like calling Curses "purples", Menagerie "Menage", or Ill-Gotten Gains "IGG", but some may be a little more cryptic. I noticed in my chat people asking about "The Golden Sombrero" so I think the least I can do is to explain how it came to be.

The Golden Sombrero was originally a baseball term, given to a player when he strikes out four times in one game. It was first brought to the Dominion world by Wandering Winder to describe a situation where both of his opening buys missed the shuffle. Since then, I've been using it to describe this particular situation and also if you opened 5/2, you open 5-cost/nothing and you don't get to see your 5-cost because it missed the shuffle.

Something else I like to do is talk about "The Full English Breakfast." This is yet another relic from my blatant fanboyism of WW. It was originally used to describe some terrible Urchin luck, but I like the idea of using it to describe the situation when you open double Silver (or Silver+Terminal Silver/Silver equivalent) and you don't hit $5 on T3 or T4. This could be due to an opponent's attack, or a Golden Sombrero, or just generic bad draws.

What other Dominion slang like this do you use? Are these things universally hated?
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Re: The Golden Sombrero and other Dominion Slang
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 10:40:55 am »

I have never heard of either of these.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 10:41:57 am »

That's why I started this thread. They are "of my own creation"
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 10:44:23 am »
+2

The Golden Sombrero I have toyed with in my mind. The Full English Breakfast is just a phrase I have floating about in my lexicon, particularly after it was the name of my favourite chess podcast. I would have to look it up to know what you mean by it in a Dominion context - I just said it randomly, as I am oft wont to do.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 10:48:27 am »
+2

These are like the Mornington Crescent of Dominion.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 11:01:26 am »
+8

I affectionately use the term "Adam Horton'd" for unbelievably bad opening shuffle luck. It doesn't apply to everything, but you'll know it when you see it.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

qdread

• Thief
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 02:41:45 pm »

Wasn't Full English Breakfast a MtG combo deck with Necropotence, Donate, and Illusions of Grandeur?

Rubby

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +324
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 03:37:54 pm »
+2

"Golden Sombrero" is great.

Also, a favorite (not really Dominion-specific) expression that I've picked up from you is "That's what it do."
Another (more Dominion-specific) one is "deck = drawn".

I'm a big fan of your videos/streams, but since you asked

Are these things universally hated?

I will cite a couple unfavorites: Calling VP tokens "Dukes" is like, actively hostile to the audience from an intelligibility standpoint. And, while I totally understand the desire to pay tribute to WW, the constant miscalling of Wandering Minstrel is rather grating.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 03:42:43 pm »
+2

"Golden Sombrero" is great.

Also, a favorite (not really Dominion-specific) expression that I've picked up from you is "That's what it do."
Another (more Dominion-specific) one is "deck = drawn".

I'm a big fan of your videos/streams, but since you asked

Are these things universally hated?

I will cite a couple unfavorites: Calling VP tokens "Dukes" is like, actively hostile to the audience from an intelligibility standpoint. And, while I totally understand the desire to pay tribute to WW, the constant miscalling of Wandering Minstrel is rather grating.

I actually also don't like calling WM WanderingWinder, FWIW. Also the Dukes thing. And the Duky thing.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 04:52:05 pm »

I'm partial to the term "veeps".
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +613
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 09:37:32 pm »
+12

I'm really struggling to get my head around the concept of naming a bad thing a "Full English Breakfast".
What part of bacon, eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms, sausages, baked beans, hash browns, toast and a cuppa suggests "bad luck" to you?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 09:57:09 pm »

What part of bacon, eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms, sausages, baked beans, hash browns, toast and a cuppa suggests "bad luck" to you?

The "eggs" part. I'm allergic to them.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 10:29:34 pm »

That's why I started this thread. They are "of my own creation"
I started calling Curses "purples" before I owned any cards (late 2009-early 2010?)

I never heard of Golden Sombrero even in my years of playing baseball. Guess I never struck out enough.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 11:42:23 pm »

As a cricket and football (soccer) fan I also have a hard time parsing the concept of a hat-trick having a possible negative connotation.

In these sports, four-in-a-row would be called a double hat-trick.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 11:43:58 pm by jaketheyak »

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 12:20:02 am »
+1

I think that calling Wandering Minstrel "WanderingWinder" is fine. I still find it mildly entertaining. Maybe I am easily amused, but I watch AdamH's videos, so you knew that!

I haven't heard AdamH call VP chips "dukes" but I imagine I would be confused and irritated by it.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 12:49:20 am »
+1

Does pronouncing Duchies as "Dookies" count?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 11:58:08 am »
+8

Does pronouncing Duchies as "Dookies" count?

Yes, and falls under the "hated" category.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2015, 05:10:59 pm »

I'm really struggling to get my head around the concept of naming a bad thing a "Full English Breakfast".

I guess the "bad luck" comes after consuming all that first thing in the morning while not being used to it. Unless you like spending the rest of the day on the toilet, that is ;)

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2015, 05:17:39 pm »
+3

As a cricket and football (soccer) fan I also have a hard time parsing the concept of a hat-trick having a possible negative connotation.

That would explain a lot of things, as doubling 3 is obviously 4.  No wonder cricket is hard to fathom.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2015, 05:28:18 pm »
+1

As for the thread, I suggest you scrap all of that nonsense. You're entertaining enough being your spontaneous self to not need such gimmicks, which only end up detracting from it.

Like these Dookie and WW things, assuming those were funny in the first place, the more you repeat them the lamer they become. It's like a professor making a joke in the first class of the year and you find yourself thinking "hey, that's kinda funny, not half-bad for such a dry-looking guy!" But when you catch him saying the exact same thing next year you suddenly think "holy shit, he actually scripted that and probably things it's the most hilarious thing ever, geez..."

For something to have potential as a cool running joke it must lend itself to creative variations in new contexts, whereas calling something Dookie or WW is always the exact same thing.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2015, 06:08:34 pm »
+5

For something to have potential as a cool running joke it must lend itself to creative variations in new contexts, whereas calling something Dookie or WW is always the exact same thing.

And yet memes continue to exist.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2015, 06:11:39 pm »

I don't really see those things a jokes. The groups I play Settlers of Catan with tend to call lumber, grain and ore "wood, wheat, and rock", but no one thinks it's funny, it's just what we say.  I mean, calling Curses "purples" isn't a joke, it's just slang.

"Dookie" is, well, a little different but it's never annoyed me. If it is a joke, it is probably an inside joke, which makes it significantly less funny for your audience, but it isn't confusing like calling VP Tokens "Dukes". 

The WW thing, I guess I see that as an homage, not a joke.  I mean, A Dominion card came out that happens to share the first half its name with one of the first guys to make Dominion Youtube videos, who also happens to be one of the best players in the world. It doesn't seem like an odd thing to me, but if the man himself isn't fond of it that is something to consider.

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2015, 06:27:39 pm »
+3

That would explain a lot of things, as doubling 3 is obviously 4.  No wonder cricket is hard to fathom.

It's two overlapping sets of three-in-a-row.
So, if I take four wickets in the first four balls of an over: 1-2-3 is a hat-trick and 2-3-4 is also a hat-trick.

A hat-trick in itself is incredibly rare in cricket.
In the 2156 Test matches ever played since 1877, only 41 hat-tricks have been recorded.
A double hat-trick has only ever occurred once in Test cricket (which is officially recorded as #8 & #9 of the 41 hat-tricks, so there have been 40 individual hat-trick instances).

So a hat-trick occurs, on average, in 1.86% of Test matches.
A double hat-trick occurs, on average, in less than 0.05% of them!

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2015, 06:42:01 pm »
+1

I don't really see those things a jokes.[...]

I just want to convey to Adam that in case he thinks his streams are cool because of these things and that therefore he should do more of them, I'd think he's mistaken: his streams are cool despite these things and without them they'd be even better! Whatever label you prefer to hang around the neck of "these things" is cool with me, for a rose by any other name smells just as sweet.

And yet memes continue to exist.

And aren't those precisely contextually inspired variations on a given theme? You might take issue with the word "creative", but I just meant something like "a deliberate effort to create something new". There's a qualitative difference between creating a new Advisor meme and saying "A = B" for the 5th time in a row, even if the Advisor meme ends up being a poor one.

Throwaway_bicycling

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2015, 07:15:25 pm »
+1

Not sure about good luck, at least for your digestive system. Wikipedia depicts it thusly:

Also, is any of this +Action, or just a bunch of terminals and draw?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 07:17:09 pm by Throwaway_bicycling »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 22 queries.