Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Province / Colony Games  (Read 9688 times)

olneyce

• 2011 DS Champion
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
Re: Province / Colony Games
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2011, 02:45:34 pm »
+1

Engines are almost never viable and BM/X reigns supreme.
Yeah OK buddy.
I'm not your buddy, guy.

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +128
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2011, 03:21:40 pm »

Can someone explain the lack of buying sea hags in this game to me? I don't understand it.

play2draw

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2011, 03:52:43 pm »

Can someone explain the lack of buying sea hags in this game to me? I don't understand it.

While Sea Hag is a very strong card, there are times when it's better not to get one. One of these times is when there are superior curse-giving cards. Witch or Mountebank provide a good benefit to the player (+2 cards and +2 coin respectively), whereas Sea Hag does nothing to help your deck. The latter two cards allow you to improve your deck and hurt your opponent's at the same time, whereas Sea Hag only hurts. This situation is magnified after the curses run out, as a Sea Hag that can't give curses is only slightly more useful than a curse. Oftentimes it's better to save up for the better cursers rather than double down on Sea Hag.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2011, 04:05:00 pm »
+1

Yeah OK buddy.
I'm not your buddy, guy.

I'm not your guy, friend.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2011, 04:07:04 pm »

Going back to the discussion of Province vs Colony.

You don't automatically want to include Colony for real life 4p games, because they tend to make games somewhat longer. The way I see it, Dominion is ment as a game you can play multiple times in quick succession. The way the game is designed, with its random kingdoms, supports this claim, although the setup time doesn't attribute to this. Dominion wasn't originally designed for 2p on the internet in which a Saboteur/Curse Colony game takes less time than a real life Embassy Province game.

I think variance in Colony games vs Province is only less apparent if there is no interaction between opponents. But there are a lot of attack cards and the player who lands the first blow is usually victorious. If you're playing with Colony to reduce variance, you should also never include any attack or other interaction cards (IGG, Possession, Masquerade).

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

olneyce

• 2011 DS Champion
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2011, 08:05:37 pm »
+1

Yeah OK buddy.
I'm not your buddy, guy.

I'm not your guy, friend.
I'm not your friend, buddy.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.