Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Set puzzles (aka Zendominion)  (Read 2199 times)

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
Set puzzles (aka Zendominion)
« on: February 10, 2015, 12:07:27 am »
+1

I was going to put this in Easy Puzzles, but then I suspect they're not actually that easy.

1. The effects "+1 Card", "+$1", "discard a card", "trash a card from your hand", "gain a Curse" are in the set. The effects "+1 Buy", "+1 Action", "take a coin token", "gain a Curse" are not in the set. What is a rule that describes the set?

2. The effects "+1 Action", "+1 Buy", "+$1" are in the set. The effect "+1 Card" is not in the set. What is a rule that describes the set?

3. The cards Border Village, Grand Market, Ironworks, Goons, Stables are in the set. The cards Young Witch, Envoy, Merchant Guild, Oracle are not in the set. What is a rule that describes the set?

(The third one in particular is quite tricky, so in the style of Zendo, I will allow people to ask whether a particular card is in the set or not.)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 05:51:58 pm by ConMan »

Hyphen-ated

• Baron
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
Re: Set puzzles (aka Zendominion)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 12:29:30 am »

I don't understand what a rule is supposed to look like here.
I take it that listing a few specific cards is not a solution? Is a rule supposed to describe the names of cards? Like, "10 cards beginning with the letter A" and then no matter which ones are chosen they would necessarily satisfy the criteria in the question?

Why is parroting back the criteria in each puzzle not a valid solution to that puzzle? It's a rule that describes the set
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 12:30:59 am by Hyphen-ated »

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 01:08:21 am »

2. The effects "+1 Action", "+1 Buy", "+$1" are in the set. The effect "+1 Card" is not in the set. What is a rule that describes the set?

Is it "effects that, if you receive them, you are free to act as if you had not received them"?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 09:08:14 am »

I suspect 1 is "Things you can't save for later"
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ephesos

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ephesos
  • Respect: +290
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 02:58:31 pm »
+4

1. Things Candlestick Maker doesn't do.
2. Things Ruins without an e in the second word can do. Things Forager can do.
3. Is King's Court in the set? Or City? Cause then, it's things that let me empty the supply for all the points in the world. Except Stables... need some kind of draw power though.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 05:49:06 pm »
+1

I don't understand what a rule is supposed to look like here.
I take it that listing a few specific cards is not a solution? Is a rule supposed to describe the names of cards? Like, "10 cards beginning with the letter A" and then no matter which ones are chosen they would necessarily satisfy the criteria in the question?

Why is parroting back the criteria in each puzzle not a valid solution to that puzzle? It's a rule that describes the set
I don't guarantee that I've exhaustively listed what is or isn't in the set - instead, I've stated a few examples of things that belong to it. For a very basic example, I might say "Mountebank and Cultist are in the set; Witch is not" to describe "junking attacks that give something other than Curses".

Is it "effects that, if you receive them, you are free to act as if you had not received them"?
Not what I had in mind, but I'm having trouble thinking of a good counterexample that would differentiate between that and my rule.

I suspect 1 is "Things you can't save for later"
It isn't, and I've realised I made a mistake in setting the question out so I will fix that soon.

1. Things Candlestick Maker doesn't do.
2. Things Ruins without an e in the second word can do. Things Forager can do.
3. Is King's Court in the set? Or City? Cause then, it's things that let me empty the supply for all the points in the world. Except Stables... need some kind of draw power though.
1. No, especially once I fix the question.
2. No, although funnily enough Survivors' effect would probably belong in the set.
3. City is in the set. King's Court is not in the set.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.