Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Secret Chamber play?  (Read 1766 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
Secret Chamber play?
« on: February 08, 2015, 11:12:59 pm »

Code: [Select]
Haven, Pawn, Secret Chamber, Shanty Town, Throne Room, Horn of Plenty, Margrave, Mystic, Pillage, Rogue

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20150208/log.54109627e4b0750ebc1f6911.1423454568365.txt

I think the obvious strategy is a mixture of Margrave attacks, Throne Room, Shanty Towns, and Pawn. Horn of Plenty is relevant here, but I never really dabbled with it. Mystic might be okay here, but I think it was too slow. Rogue/Pillage play went into factor here, though it really shouldn't have, since there were Margraves everywhere. I think the key to winning this game was getting all the Throne Rooms, they're just too powerful to ignore.

I think I made some mistakes in buying too many Shanty Towns. I didn't really need all that many, and I think I may have bought a few too many, especially since Pawn/TR takes care of the job. However, my Shanty Towns never really collided, so I don't think it was a huge error, or at least, it didn't hurt me too much.

I really do think my 7 Throne Rooms to his 3 won the game for me, but here's where the question lies. I bought Secret Chamber, planning the eventual greening that was to come. I didn't want to buy a bunch of money, and it mitigates choking on green cards when you play 200 Margraves.

My opponent disagrees that Secret Chamber is nice here. Is Secret Chamber really all that good here? I think it is, once you've gotten to drawing a ton of cards a turn.

Perhaps I fired my green machine off a bit early as well, but the double province play was just too much to resist.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

brokenlasagna

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
Re: Secret Chamber play?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 12:07:58 am »

I think I'd have tried for the horn megaturn. Just too fun to turn down.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 12:34:09 am »

Horn megaturn seems viable here IMHO, but I have only pulled it off a handful of times, so I'm not the best judge.  The 8 cards would be HoP, Copper, Silver, Gold, TR, Margrave, Mystic, and probably shanty town and/or pawn.  The problem there is Mystic and Margrave are the same cost, so I'd probably swap pawn for mystic, since you need the margrave for the draw. 

Alternatively, I a mystic/TR/Margrave engine with HoP used as a gainer would probably be more viable, and probably convert the horns into points at the end.  I would ignore shanty town (except maybe one near the beginning when you can't hit 5) because TR mystic is a far greater village.  Secret chamber might be ok, but I like the idea of the only terminal being margrave, since it + mystics should get you all the money you need.  That's my amateur evaluation, experts please correct me.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5158
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 04:25:55 am »
+2

Yes, I think this should definitely be HoP megaturn. You don't want more than 1 Silver I think (and with 5/2, you might be able to skip Silver altogether), and no Golds. Shanty Town is actually rather nice against the Margrave attack. Haven, Pawn, Shanty Town, Throne Room, HoP, Margrave, Copper, Silver are already 8 different cards, which would be enough for the megaturn.

I don't think Mystic is viable. Most of the time, you'd rather want either Margrave or HoP. Same for Secret Chamber - it's a stop card, which you don't want in a megaturn deck, and by the time you green, you should already have won.

Rogue with HoP looks interesting, but that's probably too fancy to actually work.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 06:13:19 pm »

There are some cards here that help Secret Chamber. It defends a bit against Margrave and Pillage, can even set up Mystic this way. It makes Haven cards to money, even if those are junk. Discarding for Shanty Town might be a thing, i don't know. Problem is, Secret Chamber is still weak. Normally i'd say pick it up if you have $2 to spend and the time is right. The problem's just that the other $2s are throneable, and Pawn especially is a nice target. It also comes without risk, as it's a cantrip worst case.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 06:30:10 pm »
+2

SC looks bad here, you just want to HoP. Even if you ignore that, though, I don't like SC. The thing is, it's just a one time terminal $$. In an engines, you certainly don't want that until very late, it's the least important thing to ever get, and... yeah. SC is really at its best when you are overdrawing so much that you can discard a bunch and redraw it all again, or when actions are plentiful and you have some draw-to-x (or menagerie).
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.