Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Any news on the iphone app?  (Read 12359 times)

Superdad

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
Any news on the iphone app?
« on: December 23, 2011, 11:38:52 am »

There was a bunch of talk a while back about an iphone app being developped, similar to the ascension iphone app. Is this still being pursued?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
Re: Any news on the iphone app?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 01:45:49 pm »
+1

There was a bunch of talk a while back about an iphone app being developped, similar to the ascension iphone app. Is this still being pursued?
I couldn't tell you how similar it will be to whatever other apps, but yes, work proceeds. There will be no release date announced until it's basically done.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 06:31:10 am »

Is this confirmed as a smartphone app then? I was pretty sure it was announced to be "on a number of platforms".

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 04:31:38 pm »

Is this confirmed as a smartphone app then? I was pretty sure it was announced to be "on a number of platforms".
Their goal was to support everything. I do not know what all that includes, but whatever you are asking about, they would certainly like to include it and probably will.

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 05:10:03 pm »

Their goal was to support everything. I do not know what all that includes, but whatever you are asking about, they would certainly like to include it and probably will.
So, will we have a must-pay-for isotropic that will make the current isotropic have to shut down?
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 05:22:38 pm »

So, will we have a must-pay-for isotropic that will make the current isotropic have to shut down?
I don't imagine you are making good guesses for either the income model or how similar to isotropic the program will be, but isotropic will shut down, yes.

Sinfrax

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 07:49:13 pm »

I don't suppose you have any idea what sort of, if any, log or stat support there is? One of my favorite things about iso/council room is that I can analyse my plays and what I did right or wrong.

^_^_^_^

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 02:41:11 pm »

Also, here is the previous thread: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=256.msg3127#msg3127

-Please don't repeat complaints/ whines/ questions that were already answered.

ecq

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 07:41:34 pm »

I got all :( thinking about Isotropic shutting down.  On Christmas, no less.  Then I thought about it some more, and there are actually some cool ways it could work, generate good money, and tick off very few people.

For instance, the official app could be essentially an Isotropic upgrade/rebranding with optional IOS, Android, and possibly desktop client apps.  Isotropic gets bought, it's infrastructure upgraded, and gets redesigned a little to incorporate the official artwork and maybe some branding.  Having looked at the messages the Isotropic server sends, it'd be relatively simple to create native apps that could speak to the same server as the web app.  Keep the web app free (maybe ad-supported, or having some sort of gold membership) and charge for the mobile/desktop apps.  I'd buy two copies for my household without giving it a second thought.

I have no basis for this speculation, but I wanted to illustrate that this could be something to get excited about, as opposed to apprehensive.  Here's hoping.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 08:02:54 pm »

It's not going to be isotropic or particularly like isotropic; apparently Doug Z was offered the job but turned it down.  So it'll be something different.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

^_^_^_^

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 09:19:35 pm »

It's not going to be isotropic or particularly like isotropic; apparently Doug Z was offered the job but turned it down.  So it'll be something different.
Source?

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 09:48:45 am »

As an avid isotropic player, here are my feelings about the pending app.

I'm not bothered by having to pay for it, as long as the price is reasonable (i.e. not the cost of the full physical game plus all the expansions).

I'm not bothered by the possibility of it not including all of the cards at release. I would be very disappointed if it didn't eventually include all of the cards.

What does really worry me is that it will not correctly implement the rules of Dominion. If it's not being programmed, or at least thoroughly tested, by someone who knows the game well, I'm expecting lots of bugs. As a corollary, I'm concerned that when bugs are found, the process for reporting and fixing them will be slow or non-existent.

Donald, can you give any reassurance on this front?

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 09:53:35 am »
+3

We had a topic about all of this already.  Let's not complain too much about software that hasn't been released yet.  I think everyone, Donald included, wants a good app that implements rules correctly and such.  If it's bad, we'll complain then.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 09:55:54 am »
+1

I have faith in the app, and I'm looking forward to pay for it and use it. I think I'll still prefer to play the game IRL, though.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 02:24:35 pm »

What does really worry me is that it will not correctly implement the rules of Dominion. If it's not being programmed, or at least thoroughly tested, by someone who knows the game well, I'm expecting lots of bugs.

This is perhaps the least worrisome thing for me.  The rules for Dominion are so incredibly simple, which is one of the compelling things about Dominion.  Very few cards or combos require any special programming; consider that there are two functioning simulators available, each of which was programmed in short order, and which of course have to follow the rules.

As far as testing, I hope that some of the big-name players here will be invited to beta-test, though it's hard to know.  Again, all we can really do is wait.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2011, 02:47:24 pm »

I think more difficult than programming the game is programming decent opponents (if they use AI opponents). I sometimes play with Androminion when I'm bored, and those opponents make some dumb mistakes. I had one opponent buy 7 Chapels. Granted, the programmer of this app was probably just trying to get the rules down and threw in some rudimentary AI. They normally go Big Money, so that's always been a benchmark for me. If I can't beat the AIs, then I did something wrong.

Granted, we have these simulators now, so there are plenty of things to program in right away that will make the AIs more challenging. I just hope to see more variety other than Big Money while still not doing something foolish like piling up on 6 Saboteurs.
A man has no signature

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2011, 09:35:08 pm »
+1

There are several known bugs on isotropic. There are legitimately difficult subtleties like, what exactly happens when I play Outpost when it won't give me another turn? or Tactician when I have no cards in hand? or I react to Ironworks's gain event with Trader?

Anyway, I'm with theory: it's ludicrous to complain about bugs and missing features in an app that doesn't even exist yet.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 10:43:40 am »
+1

What does really worry me is that it will not correctly implement the rules of Dominion. If it's not being programmed, or at least thoroughly tested, by someone who knows the game well, I'm expecting lots of bugs.

This is perhaps the least worrisome thing for me.  The rules for Dominion are so incredibly simple, which is one of the compelling things about Dominion.  Very few cards or combos require any special programming

Yes, but will it be properly programmed to not walk a red horse after you have fed a blue dog?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 12:00:44 pm »

Yes, but will it be properly programmed to not walk a red horse after you have fed a blue dog?

Call me daft, but I simply do not recognize this reference.

The best I can come up with using Google is that it's a Pokemon reference(?). If so, that would explain why this eludes me.
A man has no signature

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2011, 12:23:29 pm »

The best I can come up with using Google is that it's a Pokemon reference(?). If so, that would explain why this eludes me.
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/716619/ironworks-and-trader

It's a (very) long rules debate where Donald X. waffles a little at first, and eventually comes to a ruling based on analogies involving blue dogs.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2011, 10:40:32 pm »

and eventually comes to a ruling based on analogies involving blue dogs.

I never expected Donald to get political!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2011, 10:42:11 pm »

I couldn't bother to read the whole thing, i'm lazy. what was the ruling?

biopower

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2011, 10:46:55 pm »
+1

I couldn't bother to read the whole thing, i'm lazy. what was the ruling?

Sweet and short answer from this thread.

So the final final answer is that if I Ironworks an X and then reveal trader and gain a Silver instead, I get no bonus; and if I use Ironworks while Possessing someone, I also get no bonus? Is that right?
Yes.

^_^_^_^

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2011, 09:45:01 pm »

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/716619/ironworks-and-trader

It's a (very) long rules debate where Donald X. waffles a little at first, and eventually comes to a ruling based on analogies involving blue dogs.
It isn't actually that long. Took me only 10 minutes to read it. Threads like that are why I don't play with Possession if I get a choice. The most confusing card ever is Possession >.>
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 21 queries.