Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Another Close Lose!!  (Read 2474 times)

Juice2403

• Baron
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
Another Close Lose!!
« on: February 06, 2015, 04:06:43 am »

Code: [Select]
Fishing Village, Forager, Menagerie, Wishing Well, Nomad Camp, Bandit Camp, Inn, Market, Rebuild, Treasury

LOG:http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20150206/log.539fb259e4b0de4c2f3c49ea.1423213422313.txt

I did not want to do Rebuild and to i thought I could have beaten the Rebuild but i ended up losing by one point :( Please comment on anything in particular i didn't do in a turn.
I (WORK HARD) for what I want!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12867
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Another Close Lose!!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 04:26:37 am »

I don't think your opponent was playing Rebuild very well. With some improvements to your engine strategy, you could definitely beat someone who's playing Rebuild like he was, but I'm not sure if you can beat someone who plays the Rebuild strategy well.

In any case, for the engine I think you should:

• Open Forager/Forager
  • Maybe buy one Silver, definitely not two
  • Skip Treasury, get Bandit Camps and possibly one Gold instead (and possibly one Market for the +buy if you think you need it)
  • Buy more Menageries
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 04:33:08 am »

I approve of the decision not to go for Rebuild.  Rebuild was massively overrated (less so perhaps now) and on a great engine board like this you can definitely play well whilst ignoring it.

Forager is a great opening, but I don't like the Wishing Well.  The normal case for Wishing Well is that you want to see your other buy more often.  Here you can just take a second Forager as you don't have to worry about collisions.  Long term you want to be drawing with Menageries (excellent here with Inn) rather than Wishing Well, so you don't want any later on either.  Although even Menagerie is not so important, as mostly you'll be playing cantrips.

Your goal is to draw your deck every turn, so in addition to the Markets and Treasuries you want at most one each of Silver and Gold, possibly supplemented by Fishing Villages and Nomad Camps with Menageries.  Be careful not to let Spoils ruin Menagerie's draw; the easiest way would be to ignore it, as there are plenty of other good $5's.

PPE: I find Awaclus's Bandit Camp suggestion intriguing.  They certainly ramp up faster than Treasuries, but a handful of Spoils is going to make Menageries sad in the late game.  I think I'd have to see how this felt if I was playing it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12867
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 04:50:14 am »
+1

PPE: I find Awaclus's Bandit Camp suggestion intriguing.  They certainly ramp up faster than Treasuries, but a handful of Spoils is going to make Menageries sad in the late game.  I think I'd have to see how this felt if I was playing it.

Well, the Spoils end up in your discard, so I think you can mostly just play your Menageries before the Spoils start ruining them. Then if you have more than 3 Spoils, you also need some other cantrips to draw the rest, but you don't necessarily even need more than 3 Bandit Camps.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Juice2403

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 06:01:09 am »

I don't think your opponent was playing Rebuild very well. With some improvements to your engine strategy, you could definitely beat someone who's playing Rebuild like he was, but I'm not sure if you can beat someone who plays the Rebuild strategy well.

In any case, for the engine I think you should:

• Open Forager/Forager
  • Maybe buy one Silver, definitely not two
  • Skip Treasury, get Bandit Camps and possibly one Gold instead (and possibly one Market for the +buy if you think you need it)
  • Buy more Menageries

Yea i was thinking opening For/For but I think my process was to get to the cards faster with the WW and get to the cards faster, I guess Menagerie and get the dob done faster on that board and with other supplies to help me. I thought Treasury would be really good on this board with markets and maybe a couple of bandit camps.

Juice2403

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 06:02:38 am »

I approve of the decision not to go for Rebuild.  Rebuild was massively overrated (less so perhaps now) and on a great engine board like this you can definitely play well whilst ignoring it.

Forager is a great opening, but I don't like the Wishing Well.  The normal case for Wishing Well is that you want to see your other buy more often.  Here you can just take a second Forager as you don't have to worry about collisions.  Long term you want to be drawing with Menageries (excellent here with Inn) rather than Wishing Well, so you don't want any later on either.  Although even Menagerie is not so important, as mostly you'll be playing cantrips.

Your goal is to draw your deck every turn, so in addition to the Markets and Treasuries you want at most one each of Silver and Gold, possibly supplemented by Fishing Villages and Nomad Camps with Menageries.  Be careful not to let Spoils ruin Menagerie's draw; the easiest way would be to ignore it, as there are plenty of other good $5's.

Yea i see what you're saying and it is really good support for Menagerie the INN and I guess I overshadowed it and just really have to pay attention what can combo with what.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.