Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Travel!  (Read 18235 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
Re: Travel!
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2015, 02:46:16 pm »

Important question: will you be accompanied?

Yes

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2015, 03:47:30 pm »

I'm offended by the idea that French food could be qualified as only "decent".

Really though, if Germany is what you're into, go to Germany, Germany's awesome ! You could go anywhere in Europe and have tons of stuff to visit. For Germany, Munich is probably your best choice for the variety of things you can see, Berlin is also nice to visit but a lot of its appeal is the night life. I'd try to avoid late September/early October tough, unless you specifically want to go at Oktoberfest.

German food is fine, not amazing though. Well if you're in Munich, the beer is great obviously, there's also Schnitzel, which is Austrian but it's popular there and very good... but there's not the same variety that you'd get in France, Italy or to a lesser extent Spain. That being said, you can always find good food anyway, when I lived in Bonn we had this amazing Argentinian restaurant that served the most delicious beef I've ever eaten (aside from Kobe beef, but that's something else entirely). So if you're in a city like Munich, you can find great food, you'll just have to look for it a little harder (if you do end up going there send me a PM I could ask my sister for tips, she lived there for a year).

It's very obvious, but if you want to visit lots of different stuff in a small area... nothing beats Paris. We kind of are assholes to tourists though, that's not a myth.

Here's a thing you might want to know, regardless of where you go : tipping is not the same thing here. You're only supposed to do it if you really thought the service was great, it's not this automatic thing people depend on (well they still depend on it, but not to the same extent).
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2015, 03:57:28 pm »

It's very obvious, but if you want to visit lots of different stuff in a small area... nothing beats Paris.

Seriously?
I've been to Paris and your 'stuff' are hardly near each other
Have you been to London or Berlin?
Or Barcelona?

I do like Paris, but the 'attractions per square mile' ratio is fairly low in my view.

Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2015, 04:04:06 pm »

And on the food front, unless you are into Fine Dining, much of the food is of the same quality to be brutally honest.

I was going to say that I expect prices to be a lot higher in Western Europe than New York, but actually that doesn't seem to be the case when double checking. London is a lot cheaper, Munich about the same
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2015, 04:25:01 pm »

It's very obvious, but if you want to visit lots of different stuff in a small area... nothing beats Paris.

Seriously?
I've been to Paris and your 'stuff' are hardly near each other
Have you been to London or Berlin?
Or Barcelona?

I do like Paris, but the 'attractions per square mile' ratio is fairly low in my view.

Really ? Well I haven't been to Barcelona, but Paris is so small and everything is in a 30 minute walking radius ! I guess the City is similar, but Berlin is really huge compared to Paris, I remember the distances between stuff being much bigger (been there twice).
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2015, 04:35:56 pm »
+4

Hm, well I just tried to reformulate one right now and I'm not feeling it anymore, rereading him. His flip-flopping on Hydrad especially actually reads like genuinely hesitant town to me.

unvote

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2015, 04:45:22 pm »
+6

Hm, well I just tried to reformulate one right now and I'm not feeling it anymore, rereading him. His flip-flopping on Hydrad especially actually reads like genuinely hesitant town to me.

unvote

Best travelling advice ever.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2015, 05:36:09 pm »

Ahem. Sorry about that. I could delete it, but then you'd look like a crazy person so I'll leave it here.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2015, 05:43:51 pm »

Remember, I was traveling France as a college student, and while in Germany I had Thanksgiving cooked for me by German friends...  We did have a few more upscale French meals and those were great.  The biggest thing I miss from France though:  The bread.  Super cheap and better than anything you'll get here.

pedroluchini

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +205
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2015, 03:46:33 am »

Amsterdam is a relatively small city, but you can get lots of mileage out of it by exploring it twice -- once on foot, and once in a canal cruise. It's also very picturesque (I heard it's actually illegal to build ugly things in the city center), and you might get a kick out of seeing hundreds-years-old buildings that are still standing in defiance of logic and physics.

On the other hand, Dutch food is so awful that serving it should be considered a war crime.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2015, 09:55:05 am »

So current thought is:

NYC-> Fly into Paris -> Train to Munich -> Train to Vienna -> Train to Venice -> Fly back to NYC.

It would be around two weeks, so a few days in each place.  A couple of the trains would probably be overnight trains with a sleeper car.  Seems to have an advantage of getting to spend the day time in the city and not needing a hotel for that night.

I'd like to spend a little extra time in Munich.. really, Munich and Vienna are where I want to hang out and explore.  Paris and Venice I want to see, but the big reason they're included is because of the girl~

Teproc, do you live in Paris?

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2015, 10:04:57 am »

I do not, I live in Le Havre. I do spend basically every other weekend in or near Paris though. When will you be there ?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2015, 10:13:57 am »

I do not, I live in Le Havre. I do spend basically every other weekend in or near Paris though. When will you be there ?

It's looking like the first week of May, around May 6.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2015, 12:04:17 pm »

Venice

Remember to pack your umbrella and your hunting rifle.

FYI, you will have to come back to Europe to see the South. The North is booooooriiiiiiiing.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5158
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2015, 12:06:25 pm »

So current thought is:

NYC-> Fly into Paris -> Train to Munich -> Train to Vienna -> Train to Venice -> Fly back to NYC.

It would be around two weeks, so a few days in each place.  A couple of the trains would probably be overnight trains with a sleeper car.  Seems to have an advantage of getting to spend the day time in the city and not needing a hotel for that night.

I'd like to spend a little extra time in Munich.. really, Munich and Vienna are where I want to hang out and explore.  Paris and Venice I want to see, but the big reason they're included is because of the girl~

I certainly cannot approve of your choosing Munich over Berlin.

Well, it really depends on what you want. Munich is in a way nicer to look at and "cleaner", but Berlin is certainly more vivid and diverse - and cheaper of course. Munich's nickname is "the largest village in the world" for a reason ;)
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2015, 12:23:33 pm »

So current thought is:

I certainly cannot approve of your choosing Munich over Berlin.

Well, it really depends on what you want. Munich is in a way nicer to look at and "cleaner", but Berlin is certainly more vivid and diverse - and cheaper of course. Munich's nickname is "the largest village in the world" for a reason ;)

Well, they'd probably both be cool.  One of the reasons I went for Munich was location.. it's closer to Italy and Vienna.  And, largest village in the world sounds kind of like what I want.  I work in NYC and live directly across the river, so for a vacation I sort of wanted to avoid the larger metropolitan places.  (I wasn't originally planning Paris.)

I haven't ever been to any of these places, so I can't really be making the most educated decision.  But Munich fits nice with what I think I would want to see and what works with the other locations of interest.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2015, 03:39:13 pm »

I'll probably be in Paris that week-end if you stay that long.

One advice : don't go up the Eiffel Tower. The view is good, but not "waiting for hours" good. If you really want the view, go up the Tour Montparnasse instead, it's pretty expensive (more than 10€ IIRC) but at least it's quick and the view is better anyway.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2015, 03:42:13 pm »

I'll probably be in Paris that week-end if you stay that long.

One advice : don't go up the Eiffel Tower. The view is good, but not "waiting for hours" good. If you really want the view, go up the Tour Montparnasse instead, it's pretty expensive (more than 10€ IIRC) but at least it's quick and the view is better anyway.

Cool.  I'll  keep you updated.  Whether I'll be there over a weekend depends mostly on air fair.  I'm basically going to fly in when tickets are the cheapest and spend some number of nights (like 2-3) there, then take the train out (maybe an overnight train to Munich).

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2015, 05:01:55 pm »

I have to disagree with Teproc about the Tour Eiffel. Yes, it is hardly worth it to go up. No, you are not leaving Paris without doing it, especially if it's your first visit to Europe with your significant other.

You can buy tickets online in advance and avoid the queue. The really long one, at least.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2015, 05:53:08 pm »

I've been to Venice like 20 times, so let me know if you need suggestions.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2015, 03:07:51 am »
+2

If it's canals you're after, Birmingham has more of those than Venice!

No, I've never found that particularly convincing either.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2015, 11:29:09 am »

Okay, I bought plane tickets.

I fly into Paris on May 6 around 1:00 PM and fly out of Munich on May 21st around 2:00 PM.  Tentative plans are to stay in Paris 3 or 4 nights, then take a train to Munich for maybe one night, then visit Venice, Vienna, and back to Munich for the rest of the vacation.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2015, 12:35:11 pm »

Can we please get a picture of you trying to catch a pigeon at Piazza San Marco?

You know, pics or it didn't happen and all that.

post 1234
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 12:36:34 pm by pacovf »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2015, 12:38:19 pm »

Can we please get a picture of you trying to catch a pigeon at Piazza San Marco?

post 1234

I don't get this reference, but sure, okay.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2015, 12:42:49 pm »
+1

post 1234

I don't get this reference, but sure, okay.
It's a trap!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.