Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Travel!  (Read 18186 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
Re: Travel!
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2015, 12:44:22 pm »

Like steal your camera kind of thing?  I sort of assumed that would be what would happen :)

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2015, 12:47:09 pm »

There's two of you, right? No camera will be stolen.

There's nothing to fear, really! You're just trying to catch a pigeon, what could possibly go wrong?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2015, 12:52:19 pm »

Actually I'm probably going alone now.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2015, 01:00:06 pm »

Ack. Your camera is definitely getting stolen then. Never trust those Italians.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2015, 04:40:53 pm »

We have some Italians on the forum who can help.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2015, 12:10:04 am »
+2

Like steal your camera kind of thing?  I sort of assumed that would be what would happen :)
Odds are you would not have been tricked into anything, because, you'd walk into the piazza, and be marveling at the computer-game-like repeated archways, and then you'd see someone with a crust of bread get completely engulfed in pigeons. If someone tells you they ate a sandwich in that piazza, they're either a liar or an astronaut.

ghostofmars

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +71
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2015, 01:09:30 am »

Okay, I bought plane tickets.

I fly into Paris on May 6 around 1:00 PM and fly out of Munich on May 21st around 2:00 PM.  Tentative plans are to stay in Paris 3 or 4 nights, then take a train to Munich for maybe one night, then visit Venice, Vienna, and back to Munich for the rest of the vacation.
Depending on how flexible you want to be, I would consider different options to travel between the cities. If you fix the dates now, you can still get some offers around 60-80 Euro for each trip. As most of your trips are from or to Germany you could book them from the DB site
http://www.bahn.de/p_en/view/index.shtml

However that fixes you to certain trains, if you want to book all tickets as you go you should be aware that the regular ticket price is ~140Euro (I only checked Paris-Munich, but I would assume a similar price for the other trips).

Someone already mentioned Eurail already
http://www.eurail.com/
which is a good option and gives you 5 trips 1st class for 413 Euros. There is an additional fee if you want to use the very fast trains TGV/ICE, though. This price does not increase significantly if you want to add an additional stop, so it's a good option if you may want to add another stop (as long as it's in France, Germany, Austria, or Italy).

Notice that flights may be cheaper than train tickets (though not necessarily faster depending how close the airport is to the city).

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2015, 09:41:28 am »

Thanks for the info.  My tentative plan right now is:

Stay 3 nights in Paris
Train from Paris->Munich, possibly overnight in a Sleep Car
Stay 1-2 nights in Munich, take train to Venice (probably in the morning, see some scenery?)
Stay 1 night in Venice, take train to Vienna (day or night, not sure)
Stay maybe 2 nights in Vienna, take train back to Munich
Stay the rest (4ish nights) in Munich

I guess I could consider doing something different on the first Paris->Munich.  Maybe I could go Paris->Zurich?->Venice or something.

Luckily, I can afford to not worry too too much about train ticket prices, as long as it's not excessive.  I have a certain budget for the trip that I will get reimbursed, and there is no benefit for going under budget.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2015, 11:56:44 am »

So I have an official schedule now:

May 6--May 11: Paris
May 11--May 12: Heidelberg
May 12--May 15: Munich
May 15--May 17: Vienna
May 17--May 21: Munich

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2015, 12:21:33 pm »
+1

Make sure you take at least a day trip to Fussen to see Neuschwanstein while you're in Munich!
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2015, 10:48:11 am »

Im off to portugal for some sunshine next week.....same week as a heatwave hits london!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2015, 12:49:25 pm »

Make sure you take at least a day trip to Fussen to see Neuschwanstein while you're in Munich!
Definitely do this.  I didn't realize how close I was to Fussen when I was there visiting friends, but they took us there and it was incredible.  Can't speak to how it is in May, but in the winter it's beautiful.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2015, 01:01:00 pm »

Definitely do this.  I didn't realize how close I was to Fussen when I was there visiting friends, but they took us there and it was incredible.  Can't speak to how it is in May, but in the winter it's beautiful.

I went in August and it was gorgeous.  It actually hailed at one point.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2015, 01:00:26 pm »
+3

So I landed in Paris.  Already ran into some awkwardness at the airport.  So as in other cities (especially around New York), there are official Taxis and random guys that grab you before you get to the taxis.  I was semiconscious of this, but also found myself unwittingly giving the guy attention and not wanting to be rude.  I also did not see the official taxis anywhere, so I thought perhaps something was different here.  I began to regret not just walking past him when it was clear he wasn't just parked outside, but was talking me elsewhere.  It turns out, to the parking garage.  I was on guard, but didn't really know how to break away from this gracefully. 

When we get to his parked car, he my luggage in his trunk and says he'll pull out so that I can get in the passenger's seat (the front seat; which was too close to a wall to enter).  Well, at this point my luggage was in his trunk, and I began thinking maybe his thing was to just drive away while he was pulling out and steal whatever was in the trunk, or something.  So I got in the back seat.  He was insistent that the front seat was more comfortable with more room, and I insisted that I was okay in the back.  (Also, you always get in the back in cabs.)  He then showed me his taxi license, saying that it was "very important".  (Red flag #47525, but recall by this time I was somewhat committed as he had one of my bags.  For what it's worth, the license looked legitimate enough, but how would I know?) He kept on saying I should go in the front seat, and he stopped before the exit turnstile and wouldn't proceed without me moving to the front seat.  Finally I said that I want my bag and want to get out, and he was actually amiable enough.  So I got my bag and went back and found the official taxis.

I think the most likely scenario was that it is illegal for unofficial taxis to pick up people from the airport.  (NYC has a law like that, I believe.)  So if the police saw me in the back seat, it would be fairly obvious I was a fared passenger, and he could get cited.  The possibility that he was going to steal from me or kidnap me in some way was less likely, but it was still in my mind.

When I got in the normal taxi, I tried to ask the taxidriver about it, and showed him the business card the other guy gave me, but he did not speak any English, and I only know enough French to converse on the level of a particularly slow three-year old, so I couldn't make him understand.  Anyway, I made it to the hotel, napped/passed out, and now I'm ready to go explore~

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2015, 02:21:12 pm »
+1

At least you didn't arrive with a friend whose father is Liam Neeson, otherwise this would have ended pretty badly for you.

For some reason the way taxis work is very different from one country to another. It's a good idea to ask about it at the Airport Information counter.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2015, 02:52:28 pm »
+2

At least you didn't arrive with a friend whose father is Liam Neeson, otherwise this would have ended pretty badly for you.

For some reason the way taxis work is very different from one country to another. It's a good idea to ask about it at the Airport Information counter.

That's why it's safer to travel alone.  You never know whose offspring you might be traveling with. 

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2015, 03:05:13 pm »

Any of you guys been to / live in Arizona? I'm going for 8 days at the end of the month, we've got Antelope Canyon, the Grand Canyon, and Sedona already planned, but have a few days extra -- any cool places to go see?

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2015, 07:53:47 pm »

I have no idea how close this is to where you will be, but Zion National park in Utah (google maps says 2 hour drive from the Grand Canyon) is also incredible with some very cool hikes to go on.  When I was out there, I went to Zion, Bryce canyon, and the Grand canyon.  All incredible. 

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2015, 11:37:04 pm »

Meteor Crater due East of Flagstaff is pretty neat too. (If you're into that sort of thing.) I also agree with visiting the other canyons in the area. And Hoover Dam is not too far away either.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2015, 07:02:21 am »
+1

(Also, you always get in the back in cabs.) 

Not necessarily (in Germany you get to choose), but you are right that passenger in back seat and empty front seat is a strong sign that passenger is a child or riding a taxi.

EDIT: It is currently used as a visual cue in a TV commercial to instantly clarify that it's a taxi scene even though the passenger is unlikely to voluntarily be crammed in the back seat when he could choose. (The passenger is Dirk Nowitzki.)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 02:12:27 am by ipofanes »
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2015, 08:20:07 pm »

So, how's Europe treating you, ww?

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2015, 01:47:21 am »
+1

So, how's Europe treating you, ww?

He suffered the aftermath of the train strike, but yesterday his camera was still with him. He doesn't treat Europe very well in return, as he gave me a good beating, twice, while introducing me to the Adventures expansion.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2015, 04:02:20 am »
+1

It's been pretty great so far.  I saw a good deal of Paris, and walked around for most of it, and though it was tiring, it was fun to navigate streets and see everything.  There is a lot to see there; I didn't even go inside most of the major places.

Ipofanes was kind enough to show me around Heidelberg, which is a really nice little city.  Also has a big (somewhat in ruins) castle, which is really cool.  Ipofanes is a good tour guide, and I'd recommend this city to anyone else. 

We got to play two games with Adventures (one random with Adventures/Hinterlands and one with Adventures/Intrigue) over the course of, well, quite a while.  The games lasted pretty long, which was probably mostly my fault for going for a Champion with (now nonterminal) draws so I was cycling and shuffling every turn. 

I have taken more pictures so far in Paris and Heidelberg than I probably ever have taken before in my life.  So far I've taken none of me, though.  I found it really funny that there were so many people selling these "selfie sticks" in Paris, and so many people taking pictures of themselves.  I kept thinking, "You're in one of the most beautiful cities of the world; why would anyone want to see you?"  So I neglected to get a picture of Ipofanes and myself, but I did take a couple of the kingdom for our second game.  E.g.:

Well, you can see his elbows there; hopefully he won't mind.

Oh, I also got to try some liver and a bite of blood sausage (bloodwurts?  blutwurst?) here.  And schweinshaxe, which is good and also fun to say (or pretend to say).
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 04:05:45 am by Witherweaver »

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2015, 08:26:17 pm »

My only real trip to Germany was to Heidelberg.  Definitely awesome.

Tangentially -- does anyone use TripAdvisor?  I've found myself more and more into it, and adding reviews.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 20 queries.