Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Travel!  (Read 18187 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
Travel!
« on: February 04, 2015, 09:12:27 pm »

So I kind of was awarded a trip, and I can go wherever I want and have it covered up to some amount.

I'm leaning towards going to Germany (Munich?), because I really want to see Europe, and I've always thought I would like Germany.  So that's where I'm leaning, but I'm open to other ideas.  I know this is a widespread group of people, so I thought you might have input.

Also, I think it's best to minimize travel (air) cost so that I can maximize a nicer place to stay, food, events, etc.  Any ideas on the best time to travel, or tricks?  I assume it's pretty dependent on where I go.  I can pretty much take the trip whenever I want to this year, but I think I'd prefer around the spring time.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
Re: Travel!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 09:21:29 pm »
+1

I went to Germany for a few days and it was a really nice place.  If you're there, especially in wintertime, I would recommend going to see Neuschwanstein castle because it's beautiful.  I really wanted to go drive on the Nurburgring, but I wasn't anywhere near there (let alone have enough money to rent a car to do it...).  The other nice thing about Germany is pretty much wherever you go, people will be willing to speak English.  At least, moreso than in France.  In France they really didn't like/know how to speak English.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 09:24:32 pm »
+1

The other nice thing about Germany is pretty much wherever you go, people will be willing to speak English.  At least, moreso than in France.  In France they really didn't like/know how to speak English.

Seconded. From my limited experience, Germans are happy to speak English to you (if they know it). I met a few derisive people during my short stay in France.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 09:31:13 pm »

I like the idea of Germany a lot.  My girlfriend wants to go to Italy or France, mostly because of the food.  Anything about the merits of German food?

Also, I would be flying out of the NY area, if anyone has ever done that and has an idea on what prices are like. It would be cool to make that flight cheap so that there is more to spend on other stuff.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 09:35:36 pm »
+1

I've lived in a number of countries, and visited many others.  You are flying from the US?

I'd say that my top recommendations to people are always Tokyo/Japan and Florence/Italy.  I enjoyed Germany, France, UK, etc. and I've lived in more exotic locales like Mauritius and Iraq (don't go to Iraq), but those two places continue to be my top.  And that's coming from someone currently living in Sydney, another of the world's gems.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +613
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 09:43:05 pm »
+1

I like the idea of Germany a lot.  My girlfriend wants to go to Italy or France, mostly because of the food.  Anything about the merits of German food?

I think German food is the best cuisine in the world.
But your opinion may vary based on just how much you like eating enormous quantities of meat.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 09:48:02 pm »

I've lived in a number of countries, and visited many others.  You are flying from the US?

I'd say that my top recommendations to people are always Tokyo/Japan and Florence/Italy.  I enjoyed Germany, France, UK, etc. and I've lived in more exotic locales like Mauritius and Iraq (don't go to Iraq), but those two places continue to be my top.  And that's coming from someone currently living in Sydney, another of the world's gems.

Yeah, I really want to go everywhere.  I would love to see Tokyo, but I think I'll save that for the next time I go traveling.  Italy is another big attraction.  Though maybe with some place like Munich it gives the option to split the trip up between Germany/Italy. 

I'm flying from the US, yes.  NY area. 

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 09:52:46 pm »

I think German food is the best cuisine in the world.
But your opinion may vary based on just how much you like eating enormous quantities of meat.

I'm a big fan of meat

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 09:58:42 pm »

Yeah, I really want to go everywhere.  I would love to see Tokyo, but I think I'll save that for the next time I go traveling.  Italy is another big attraction.  Though maybe with some place like Munich it gives the option to split the trip up between Germany/Italy. 

I'm flying from the US, yes.  NY area.

With the ease of both train and no-frills flying in Europe, you could set up your base just about anywhere and see the rest of the continent.  Obviously I don't know your budget, but I think it's pretty easy to do.

There's the Thailand/Bali beach resort option, too...

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 10:05:53 pm »
+1

What ashersky said.  Trains are the way to go in Europe.  For fairly cheap, I was able to travel from western France, to eastern France, then to Switzerland (also a pretty cool place to visit), to Germany and back to western France.  So if you go to Europe, once you're there seeing other countries is pretty simple.  and German food is delicious.  Very hearty.  Also beer.  If that's your thing.  French food is decent too.  Can't speak for Italy, but my friends who went to Rome said it's too commercialized/touristy and crowded. 

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 10:09:53 pm »
+1

You can see all of Japan for "cheap" too, if you buy a rail pass.

When you decide where you are going, post it.  If it's a city I know well, I can provide a list of sights/restaurants/etc.  I'm sure many others can too.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 04:13:01 am »
+1

Come to Saint Petersburg!

According to current situation in Russia we may as well start butchering people who don't support The One And Only Party and The One And Only President, but that probably won't happen for a couple more years.

And as for now the architecure is still beautiful, the people are still nice (some of them), and the weather still sucks.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 09:10:50 am »
+1

Come to Saint Petersburg!

According to current situation in Russia we may as well start butchering people who don't support The One And Only Party and The One And Only President, but that probably won't happen for a couple more years.

And as for now the architecure is still beautiful, the people are still nice (some of them), and the weather still sucks.

I'm sold.

If I go to Russia, will fathers try to sell me their daughters?  If so, I'm definitely in.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 09:11:05 am »

You can see all of Japan for "cheap" too, if you buy a rail pass.

When you decide where you are going, post it.  If it's a city I know well, I can provide a list of sights/restaurants/etc.  I'm sure many others can too.

Thanks!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 09:14:39 am »

What ashersky said.  Trains are the way to go in Europe.  For fairly cheap, I was able to travel from western France, to eastern France, then to Switzerland (also a pretty cool place to visit), to Germany and back to western France.  So if you go to Europe, once you're there seeing other countries is pretty simple.  and German food is delicious.  Very hearty.  Also beer.  If that's your thing.  French food is decent too.  Can't speak for Italy, but my friends who went to Rome said it's too commercialized/touristy and crowded.

That sounds promising.  What's the order of "fairly cheap"?  I actually have a pretty generous budget, but I want to make sure I don't go crazy.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 09:25:38 am »

I haven't looked into this in a LONG time, but Eurail passes used to be a great deal.  Caveat: You have to buy them here in the US before you leave.  They give you a certain number of (or perhaps unlimited use of) train segments anywhere in Europe.

This info may be way out of date.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2015, 09:26:04 am »

If I go to Russia, will fathers try to sell me their daughters?  If so, I'm definitely in.

I think you can find women for sale in almost every country if that is what you are looking for.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 11:07:20 am »

That sounds promising.  What's the order of "fairly cheap"?  I actually have a pretty generous budget, but I want to make sure I don't go crazy.
If I recall correctly, all those trains were around 200 Euros total.  Our most expensive one was like 60 euro

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2015, 11:08:17 am »

Granted, I had some kind of student pass that gave me a discount on trains, but I don't think it was super big.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2015, 12:14:42 pm »

Only been to Berlin in Germany, was pretty awesome though.
Wierdly quiet by day, massive party central at night after midnight.

Lots of memorials and stuff.
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2015, 12:17:06 pm »

All of those other places are nice and everything, but really, you know you are going to Spain.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2015, 12:19:38 pm »
+1

What are you actually looking for in a trip though? Ive been to quite a bit of Europe by now I reckon.
Do you want to drive to out of the way places? Mainly stay in cities for ease of use.
Night Life, beaches, relaxing, landscapes?

I think you can get a 10 day pass for around £250 last time I had a look. No idea what that is in new world money though.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2015, 12:21:36 pm »
+1

All of those other places are nice and everything, but really, you know you are going to Spain.

Yeah, head to the Costa Del Sol and hang out with the wasted Brits!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2015, 12:26:24 pm »

What are you actually looking for in a trip though? Ive been to quite a bit of Europe by now I reckon.
Do you want to drive to out of the way places? Mainly stay in cities for ease of use.
Night Life, beaches, relaxing, landscapes?

I think you can get a 10 day pass for around £250 last time I had a look. No idea what that is in new world money though.

Hm, well, I want to see new things and experience new cultures.  I don't really like wild partying... I like bars/pubs well enough, but not clubs.  I want to see cool buildings, old stuff, some nice scenery.  I want to stay in a city for general comfort, supplies, food, and also more stuff to do (shops, museums, galleries, etc.), but would probably be willing to do a day trip to see other stuff.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2015, 01:04:40 pm »

Important question: will you be accompanied?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2015, 02:46:16 pm »

Important question: will you be accompanied?

Yes

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2015, 03:47:30 pm »

I'm offended by the idea that French food could be qualified as only "decent".

Really though, if Germany is what you're into, go to Germany, Germany's awesome ! You could go anywhere in Europe and have tons of stuff to visit. For Germany, Munich is probably your best choice for the variety of things you can see, Berlin is also nice to visit but a lot of its appeal is the night life. I'd try to avoid late September/early October tough, unless you specifically want to go at Oktoberfest.

German food is fine, not amazing though. Well if you're in Munich, the beer is great obviously, there's also Schnitzel, which is Austrian but it's popular there and very good... but there's not the same variety that you'd get in France, Italy or to a lesser extent Spain. That being said, you can always find good food anyway, when I lived in Bonn we had this amazing Argentinian restaurant that served the most delicious beef I've ever eaten (aside from Kobe beef, but that's something else entirely). So if you're in a city like Munich, you can find great food, you'll just have to look for it a little harder (if you do end up going there send me a PM I could ask my sister for tips, she lived there for a year).

It's very obvious, but if you want to visit lots of different stuff in a small area... nothing beats Paris. We kind of are assholes to tourists though, that's not a myth.

Here's a thing you might want to know, regardless of where you go : tipping is not the same thing here. You're only supposed to do it if you really thought the service was great, it's not this automatic thing people depend on (well they still depend on it, but not to the same extent).
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2015, 03:57:28 pm »

It's very obvious, but if you want to visit lots of different stuff in a small area... nothing beats Paris.

Seriously?
I've been to Paris and your 'stuff' are hardly near each other
Have you been to London or Berlin?
Or Barcelona?

I do like Paris, but the 'attractions per square mile' ratio is fairly low in my view.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2015, 04:04:06 pm »

And on the food front, unless you are into Fine Dining, much of the food is of the same quality to be brutally honest.

I was going to say that I expect prices to be a lot higher in Western Europe than New York, but actually that doesn't seem to be the case when double checking. London is a lot cheaper, Munich about the same

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2015, 04:25:01 pm »

It's very obvious, but if you want to visit lots of different stuff in a small area... nothing beats Paris.

Seriously?
I've been to Paris and your 'stuff' are hardly near each other
Have you been to London or Berlin?
Or Barcelona?

I do like Paris, but the 'attractions per square mile' ratio is fairly low in my view.

Really ? Well I haven't been to Barcelona, but Paris is so small and everything is in a 30 minute walking radius ! I guess the City is similar, but Berlin is really huge compared to Paris, I remember the distances between stuff being much bigger (been there twice).
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2015, 04:35:56 pm »
+4

Hm, well I just tried to reformulate one right now and I'm not feeling it anymore, rereading him. His flip-flopping on Hydrad especially actually reads like genuinely hesitant town to me.

unvote

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2015, 04:45:22 pm »
+6

Hm, well I just tried to reformulate one right now and I'm not feeling it anymore, rereading him. His flip-flopping on Hydrad especially actually reads like genuinely hesitant town to me.

unvote

Best travelling advice ever.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2015, 05:36:09 pm »

Ahem. Sorry about that. I could delete it, but then you'd look like a crazy person so I'll leave it here.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2015, 05:43:51 pm »

Remember, I was traveling France as a college student, and while in Germany I had Thanksgiving cooked for me by German friends...  We did have a few more upscale French meals and those were great.  The biggest thing I miss from France though:  The bread.  Super cheap and better than anything you'll get here.

pedroluchini

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +205
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2015, 03:46:33 am »

Amsterdam is a relatively small city, but you can get lots of mileage out of it by exploring it twice -- once on foot, and once in a canal cruise. It's also very picturesque (I heard it's actually illegal to build ugly things in the city center), and you might get a kick out of seeing hundreds-years-old buildings that are still standing in defiance of logic and physics.

On the other hand, Dutch food is so awful that serving it should be considered a war crime.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2015, 09:55:05 am »

So current thought is:

NYC-> Fly into Paris -> Train to Munich -> Train to Vienna -> Train to Venice -> Fly back to NYC.

It would be around two weeks, so a few days in each place.  A couple of the trains would probably be overnight trains with a sleeper car.  Seems to have an advantage of getting to spend the day time in the city and not needing a hotel for that night.

I'd like to spend a little extra time in Munich.. really, Munich and Vienna are where I want to hang out and explore.  Paris and Venice I want to see, but the big reason they're included is because of the girl~

Teproc, do you live in Paris?

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2015, 10:04:57 am »

I do not, I live in Le Havre. I do spend basically every other weekend in or near Paris though. When will you be there ?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2015, 10:13:57 am »

I do not, I live in Le Havre. I do spend basically every other weekend in or near Paris though. When will you be there ?

It's looking like the first week of May, around May 6.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2015, 12:04:17 pm »

Venice

Remember to pack your umbrella and your hunting rifle.

FYI, you will have to come back to Europe to see the South. The North is booooooriiiiiiiing.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2015, 12:06:25 pm »

So current thought is:

NYC-> Fly into Paris -> Train to Munich -> Train to Vienna -> Train to Venice -> Fly back to NYC.

It would be around two weeks, so a few days in each place.  A couple of the trains would probably be overnight trains with a sleeper car.  Seems to have an advantage of getting to spend the day time in the city and not needing a hotel for that night.

I'd like to spend a little extra time in Munich.. really, Munich and Vienna are where I want to hang out and explore.  Paris and Venice I want to see, but the big reason they're included is because of the girl~

I certainly cannot approve of your choosing Munich over Berlin.

Well, it really depends on what you want. Munich is in a way nicer to look at and "cleaner", but Berlin is certainly more vivid and diverse - and cheaper of course. Munich's nickname is "the largest village in the world" for a reason ;)
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2015, 12:23:33 pm »

So current thought is:

I certainly cannot approve of your choosing Munich over Berlin.

Well, it really depends on what you want. Munich is in a way nicer to look at and "cleaner", but Berlin is certainly more vivid and diverse - and cheaper of course. Munich's nickname is "the largest village in the world" for a reason ;)

Well, they'd probably both be cool.  One of the reasons I went for Munich was location.. it's closer to Italy and Vienna.  And, largest village in the world sounds kind of like what I want.  I work in NYC and live directly across the river, so for a vacation I sort of wanted to avoid the larger metropolitan places.  (I wasn't originally planning Paris.)

I haven't ever been to any of these places, so I can't really be making the most educated decision.  But Munich fits nice with what I think I would want to see and what works with the other locations of interest.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2015, 03:39:13 pm »

I'll probably be in Paris that week-end if you stay that long.

One advice : don't go up the Eiffel Tower. The view is good, but not "waiting for hours" good. If you really want the view, go up the Tour Montparnasse instead, it's pretty expensive (more than 10€ IIRC) but at least it's quick and the view is better anyway.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2015, 03:42:13 pm »

I'll probably be in Paris that week-end if you stay that long.

One advice : don't go up the Eiffel Tower. The view is good, but not "waiting for hours" good. If you really want the view, go up the Tour Montparnasse instead, it's pretty expensive (more than 10€ IIRC) but at least it's quick and the view is better anyway.

Cool.  I'll  keep you updated.  Whether I'll be there over a weekend depends mostly on air fair.  I'm basically going to fly in when tickets are the cheapest and spend some number of nights (like 2-3) there, then take the train out (maybe an overnight train to Munich).

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2015, 05:01:55 pm »

I have to disagree with Teproc about the Tour Eiffel. Yes, it is hardly worth it to go up. No, you are not leaving Paris without doing it, especially if it's your first visit to Europe with your significant other.

You can buy tickets online in advance and avoid the queue. The really long one, at least.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2015, 05:53:08 pm »

I've been to Venice like 20 times, so let me know if you need suggestions.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2015, 03:07:51 am »
+2

If it's canals you're after, Birmingham has more of those than Venice!

No, I've never found that particularly convincing either.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2015, 11:29:09 am »

Okay, I bought plane tickets.

I fly into Paris on May 6 around 1:00 PM and fly out of Munich on May 21st around 2:00 PM.  Tentative plans are to stay in Paris 3 or 4 nights, then take a train to Munich for maybe one night, then visit Venice, Vienna, and back to Munich for the rest of the vacation.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2015, 12:35:11 pm »

Can we please get a picture of you trying to catch a pigeon at Piazza San Marco?

You know, pics or it didn't happen and all that.

post 1234
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 12:36:34 pm by pacovf »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2015, 12:38:19 pm »

Can we please get a picture of you trying to catch a pigeon at Piazza San Marco?

post 1234

I don't get this reference, but sure, okay.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2015, 12:42:49 pm »
+1

post 1234

I don't get this reference, but sure, okay.
It's a trap!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2015, 12:44:22 pm »

Like steal your camera kind of thing?  I sort of assumed that would be what would happen :)

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2015, 12:47:09 pm »

There's two of you, right? No camera will be stolen.

There's nothing to fear, really! You're just trying to catch a pigeon, what could possibly go wrong?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2015, 12:52:19 pm »

Actually I'm probably going alone now.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2015, 01:00:06 pm »

Ack. Your camera is definitely getting stolen then. Never trust those Italians.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2015, 04:40:53 pm »

We have some Italians on the forum who can help.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2015, 12:10:04 am »
+2

Like steal your camera kind of thing?  I sort of assumed that would be what would happen :)
Odds are you would not have been tricked into anything, because, you'd walk into the piazza, and be marveling at the computer-game-like repeated archways, and then you'd see someone with a crust of bread get completely engulfed in pigeons. If someone tells you they ate a sandwich in that piazza, they're either a liar or an astronaut.

ghostofmars

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +71
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2015, 01:09:30 am »

Okay, I bought plane tickets.

I fly into Paris on May 6 around 1:00 PM and fly out of Munich on May 21st around 2:00 PM.  Tentative plans are to stay in Paris 3 or 4 nights, then take a train to Munich for maybe one night, then visit Venice, Vienna, and back to Munich for the rest of the vacation.
Depending on how flexible you want to be, I would consider different options to travel between the cities. If you fix the dates now, you can still get some offers around 60-80 Euro for each trip. As most of your trips are from or to Germany you could book them from the DB site
http://www.bahn.de/p_en/view/index.shtml

However that fixes you to certain trains, if you want to book all tickets as you go you should be aware that the regular ticket price is ~140Euro (I only checked Paris-Munich, but I would assume a similar price for the other trips).

Someone already mentioned Eurail already
http://www.eurail.com/
which is a good option and gives you 5 trips 1st class for 413 Euros. There is an additional fee if you want to use the very fast trains TGV/ICE, though. This price does not increase significantly if you want to add an additional stop, so it's a good option if you may want to add another stop (as long as it's in France, Germany, Austria, or Italy).

Notice that flights may be cheaper than train tickets (though not necessarily faster depending how close the airport is to the city).

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2015, 09:41:28 am »

Thanks for the info.  My tentative plan right now is:

Stay 3 nights in Paris
Train from Paris->Munich, possibly overnight in a Sleep Car
Stay 1-2 nights in Munich, take train to Venice (probably in the morning, see some scenery?)
Stay 1 night in Venice, take train to Vienna (day or night, not sure)
Stay maybe 2 nights in Vienna, take train back to Munich
Stay the rest (4ish nights) in Munich

I guess I could consider doing something different on the first Paris->Munich.  Maybe I could go Paris->Zurich?->Venice or something.

Luckily, I can afford to not worry too too much about train ticket prices, as long as it's not excessive.  I have a certain budget for the trip that I will get reimbursed, and there is no benefit for going under budget.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2015, 11:56:44 am »

So I have an official schedule now:

May 6--May 11: Paris
May 11--May 12: Heidelberg
May 12--May 15: Munich
May 15--May 17: Vienna
May 17--May 21: Munich

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2015, 12:21:33 pm »
+1

Make sure you take at least a day trip to Fussen to see Neuschwanstein while you're in Munich!
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2015, 10:48:11 am »

Im off to portugal for some sunshine next week.....same week as a heatwave hits london!

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2015, 12:49:25 pm »

Make sure you take at least a day trip to Fussen to see Neuschwanstein while you're in Munich!
Definitely do this.  I didn't realize how close I was to Fussen when I was there visiting friends, but they took us there and it was incredible.  Can't speak to how it is in May, but in the winter it's beautiful.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2015, 01:01:00 pm »

Definitely do this.  I didn't realize how close I was to Fussen when I was there visiting friends, but they took us there and it was incredible.  Can't speak to how it is in May, but in the winter it's beautiful.

I went in August and it was gorgeous.  It actually hailed at one point.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2015, 01:00:26 pm »
+3

So I landed in Paris.  Already ran into some awkwardness at the airport.  So as in other cities (especially around New York), there are official Taxis and random guys that grab you before you get to the taxis.  I was semiconscious of this, but also found myself unwittingly giving the guy attention and not wanting to be rude.  I also did not see the official taxis anywhere, so I thought perhaps something was different here.  I began to regret not just walking past him when it was clear he wasn't just parked outside, but was talking me elsewhere.  It turns out, to the parking garage.  I was on guard, but didn't really know how to break away from this gracefully. 

When we get to his parked car, he my luggage in his trunk and says he'll pull out so that I can get in the passenger's seat (the front seat; which was too close to a wall to enter).  Well, at this point my luggage was in his trunk, and I began thinking maybe his thing was to just drive away while he was pulling out and steal whatever was in the trunk, or something.  So I got in the back seat.  He was insistent that the front seat was more comfortable with more room, and I insisted that I was okay in the back.  (Also, you always get in the back in cabs.)  He then showed me his taxi license, saying that it was "very important".  (Red flag #47525, but recall by this time I was somewhat committed as he had one of my bags.  For what it's worth, the license looked legitimate enough, but how would I know?) He kept on saying I should go in the front seat, and he stopped before the exit turnstile and wouldn't proceed without me moving to the front seat.  Finally I said that I want my bag and want to get out, and he was actually amiable enough.  So I got my bag and went back and found the official taxis.

I think the most likely scenario was that it is illegal for unofficial taxis to pick up people from the airport.  (NYC has a law like that, I believe.)  So if the police saw me in the back seat, it would be fairly obvious I was a fared passenger, and he could get cited.  The possibility that he was going to steal from me or kidnap me in some way was less likely, but it was still in my mind.

When I got in the normal taxi, I tried to ask the taxidriver about it, and showed him the business card the other guy gave me, but he did not speak any English, and I only know enough French to converse on the level of a particularly slow three-year old, so I couldn't make him understand.  Anyway, I made it to the hotel, napped/passed out, and now I'm ready to go explore~

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2015, 02:21:12 pm »
+1

At least you didn't arrive with a friend whose father is Liam Neeson, otherwise this would have ended pretty badly for you.

For some reason the way taxis work is very different from one country to another. It's a good idea to ask about it at the Airport Information counter.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2015, 02:52:28 pm »
+2

At least you didn't arrive with a friend whose father is Liam Neeson, otherwise this would have ended pretty badly for you.

For some reason the way taxis work is very different from one country to another. It's a good idea to ask about it at the Airport Information counter.

That's why it's safer to travel alone.  You never know whose offspring you might be traveling with. 

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2015, 03:05:13 pm »

Any of you guys been to / live in Arizona? I'm going for 8 days at the end of the month, we've got Antelope Canyon, the Grand Canyon, and Sedona already planned, but have a few days extra -- any cool places to go see?

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2015, 07:53:47 pm »

I have no idea how close this is to where you will be, but Zion National park in Utah (google maps says 2 hour drive from the Grand Canyon) is also incredible with some very cool hikes to go on.  When I was out there, I went to Zion, Bryce canyon, and the Grand canyon.  All incredible. 

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2015, 11:37:04 pm »

Meteor Crater due East of Flagstaff is pretty neat too. (If you're into that sort of thing.) I also agree with visiting the other canyons in the area. And Hoover Dam is not too far away either.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2015, 07:02:21 am »
+1

(Also, you always get in the back in cabs.) 

Not necessarily (in Germany you get to choose), but you are right that passenger in back seat and empty front seat is a strong sign that passenger is a child or riding a taxi.

EDIT: It is currently used as a visual cue in a TV commercial to instantly clarify that it's a taxi scene even though the passenger is unlikely to voluntarily be crammed in the back seat when he could choose. (The passenger is Dirk Nowitzki.)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 02:12:27 am by ipofanes »
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2015, 08:20:07 pm »

So, how's Europe treating you, ww?

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2015, 01:47:21 am »
+1

So, how's Europe treating you, ww?

He suffered the aftermath of the train strike, but yesterday his camera was still with him. He doesn't treat Europe very well in return, as he gave me a good beating, twice, while introducing me to the Adventures expansion.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2015, 04:02:20 am »
+1

It's been pretty great so far.  I saw a good deal of Paris, and walked around for most of it, and though it was tiring, it was fun to navigate streets and see everything.  There is a lot to see there; I didn't even go inside most of the major places.

Ipofanes was kind enough to show me around Heidelberg, which is a really nice little city.  Also has a big (somewhat in ruins) castle, which is really cool.  Ipofanes is a good tour guide, and I'd recommend this city to anyone else. 

We got to play two games with Adventures (one random with Adventures/Hinterlands and one with Adventures/Intrigue) over the course of, well, quite a while.  The games lasted pretty long, which was probably mostly my fault for going for a Champion with (now nonterminal) draws so I was cycling and shuffling every turn. 

I have taken more pictures so far in Paris and Heidelberg than I probably ever have taken before in my life.  So far I've taken none of me, though.  I found it really funny that there were so many people selling these "selfie sticks" in Paris, and so many people taking pictures of themselves.  I kept thinking, "You're in one of the most beautiful cities of the world; why would anyone want to see you?"  So I neglected to get a picture of Ipofanes and myself, but I did take a couple of the kingdom for our second game.  E.g.:

Well, you can see his elbows there; hopefully he won't mind.

Oh, I also got to try some liver and a bite of blood sausage (bloodwurts?  blutwurst?) here.  And schweinshaxe, which is good and also fun to say (or pretend to say).
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 04:05:45 am by Witherweaver »

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2015, 08:26:17 pm »

My only real trip to Germany was to Heidelberg.  Definitely awesome.

Tangentially -- does anyone use TripAdvisor?  I've found myself more and more into it, and adding reviews.

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 20 queries.