Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Travel!  (Read 18247 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
Travel!
« on: February 04, 2015, 09:12:27 pm »

So I kind of was awarded a trip, and I can go wherever I want and have it covered up to some amount.

I'm leaning towards going to Germany (Munich?), because I really want to see Europe, and I've always thought I would like Germany.  So that's where I'm leaning, but I'm open to other ideas.  I know this is a widespread group of people, so I thought you might have input.

Also, I think it's best to minimize travel (air) cost so that I can maximize a nicer place to stay, food, events, etc.  Any ideas on the best time to travel, or tricks?  I assume it's pretty dependent on where I go.  I can pretty much take the trip whenever I want to this year, but I think I'd prefer around the spring time.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
Re: Travel!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 09:21:29 pm »
+1

I went to Germany for a few days and it was a really nice place.  If you're there, especially in wintertime, I would recommend going to see Neuschwanstein castle because it's beautiful.  I really wanted to go drive on the Nurburgring, but I wasn't anywhere near there (let alone have enough money to rent a car to do it...).  The other nice thing about Germany is pretty much wherever you go, people will be willing to speak English.  At least, moreso than in France.  In France they really didn't like/know how to speak English.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 09:24:32 pm »
+1

The other nice thing about Germany is pretty much wherever you go, people will be willing to speak English.  At least, moreso than in France.  In France they really didn't like/know how to speak English.

Seconded. From my limited experience, Germans are happy to speak English to you (if they know it). I met a few derisive people during my short stay in France.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 09:31:13 pm »

I like the idea of Germany a lot.  My girlfriend wants to go to Italy or France, mostly because of the food.  Anything about the merits of German food?

Also, I would be flying out of the NY area, if anyone has ever done that and has an idea on what prices are like. It would be cool to make that flight cheap so that there is more to spend on other stuff.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 09:35:36 pm »
+1

I've lived in a number of countries, and visited many others.  You are flying from the US?

I'd say that my top recommendations to people are always Tokyo/Japan and Florence/Italy.  I enjoyed Germany, France, UK, etc. and I've lived in more exotic locales like Mauritius and Iraq (don't go to Iraq), but those two places continue to be my top.  And that's coming from someone currently living in Sydney, another of the world's gems.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +613
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 09:43:05 pm »
+1

I like the idea of Germany a lot.  My girlfriend wants to go to Italy or France, mostly because of the food.  Anything about the merits of German food?

I think German food is the best cuisine in the world.
But your opinion may vary based on just how much you like eating enormous quantities of meat.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 09:48:02 pm »

I've lived in a number of countries, and visited many others.  You are flying from the US?

I'd say that my top recommendations to people are always Tokyo/Japan and Florence/Italy.  I enjoyed Germany, France, UK, etc. and I've lived in more exotic locales like Mauritius and Iraq (don't go to Iraq), but those two places continue to be my top.  And that's coming from someone currently living in Sydney, another of the world's gems.

Yeah, I really want to go everywhere.  I would love to see Tokyo, but I think I'll save that for the next time I go traveling.  Italy is another big attraction.  Though maybe with some place like Munich it gives the option to split the trip up between Germany/Italy. 

I'm flying from the US, yes.  NY area. 

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 09:52:46 pm »

I think German food is the best cuisine in the world.
But your opinion may vary based on just how much you like eating enormous quantities of meat.

I'm a big fan of meat

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 09:58:42 pm »

Yeah, I really want to go everywhere.  I would love to see Tokyo, but I think I'll save that for the next time I go traveling.  Italy is another big attraction.  Though maybe with some place like Munich it gives the option to split the trip up between Germany/Italy. 

I'm flying from the US, yes.  NY area.

With the ease of both train and no-frills flying in Europe, you could set up your base just about anywhere and see the rest of the continent.  Obviously I don't know your budget, but I think it's pretty easy to do.

There's the Thailand/Bali beach resort option, too...

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 10:05:53 pm »
+1

What ashersky said.  Trains are the way to go in Europe.  For fairly cheap, I was able to travel from western France, to eastern France, then to Switzerland (also a pretty cool place to visit), to Germany and back to western France.  So if you go to Europe, once you're there seeing other countries is pretty simple.  and German food is delicious.  Very hearty.  Also beer.  If that's your thing.  French food is decent too.  Can't speak for Italy, but my friends who went to Rome said it's too commercialized/touristy and crowded. 

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 10:09:53 pm »
+1

You can see all of Japan for "cheap" too, if you buy a rail pass.

When you decide where you are going, post it.  If it's a city I know well, I can provide a list of sights/restaurants/etc.  I'm sure many others can too.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 04:13:01 am »
+1

Come to Saint Petersburg!

According to current situation in Russia we may as well start butchering people who don't support The One And Only Party and The One And Only President, but that probably won't happen for a couple more years.

And as for now the architecure is still beautiful, the people are still nice (some of them), and the weather still sucks.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 09:10:50 am »
+1

Come to Saint Petersburg!

According to current situation in Russia we may as well start butchering people who don't support The One And Only Party and The One And Only President, but that probably won't happen for a couple more years.

And as for now the architecure is still beautiful, the people are still nice (some of them), and the weather still sucks.

I'm sold.

If I go to Russia, will fathers try to sell me their daughters?  If so, I'm definitely in.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 09:11:05 am »

You can see all of Japan for "cheap" too, if you buy a rail pass.

When you decide where you are going, post it.  If it's a city I know well, I can provide a list of sights/restaurants/etc.  I'm sure many others can too.

Thanks!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 09:14:39 am »

What ashersky said.  Trains are the way to go in Europe.  For fairly cheap, I was able to travel from western France, to eastern France, then to Switzerland (also a pretty cool place to visit), to Germany and back to western France.  So if you go to Europe, once you're there seeing other countries is pretty simple.  and German food is delicious.  Very hearty.  Also beer.  If that's your thing.  French food is decent too.  Can't speak for Italy, but my friends who went to Rome said it's too commercialized/touristy and crowded.

That sounds promising.  What's the order of "fairly cheap"?  I actually have a pretty generous budget, but I want to make sure I don't go crazy.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 09:25:38 am »

I haven't looked into this in a LONG time, but Eurail passes used to be a great deal.  Caveat: You have to buy them here in the US before you leave.  They give you a certain number of (or perhaps unlimited use of) train segments anywhere in Europe.

This info may be way out of date.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2015, 09:26:04 am »

If I go to Russia, will fathers try to sell me their daughters?  If so, I'm definitely in.

I think you can find women for sale in almost every country if that is what you are looking for.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 11:07:20 am »

That sounds promising.  What's the order of "fairly cheap"?  I actually have a pretty generous budget, but I want to make sure I don't go crazy.
If I recall correctly, all those trains were around 200 Euros total.  Our most expensive one was like 60 euro

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2015, 11:08:17 am »

Granted, I had some kind of student pass that gave me a discount on trains, but I don't think it was super big.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2015, 12:14:42 pm »

Only been to Berlin in Germany, was pretty awesome though.
Wierdly quiet by day, massive party central at night after midnight.

Lots of memorials and stuff.
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2015, 12:17:06 pm »

All of those other places are nice and everything, but really, you know you are going to Spain.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2015, 12:19:38 pm »
+1

What are you actually looking for in a trip though? Ive been to quite a bit of Europe by now I reckon.
Do you want to drive to out of the way places? Mainly stay in cities for ease of use.
Night Life, beaches, relaxing, landscapes?

I think you can get a 10 day pass for around £250 last time I had a look. No idea what that is in new world money though.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2015, 12:21:36 pm »
+1

All of those other places are nice and everything, but really, you know you are going to Spain.

Yeah, head to the Costa Del Sol and hang out with the wasted Brits!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2015, 12:26:24 pm »

What are you actually looking for in a trip though? Ive been to quite a bit of Europe by now I reckon.
Do you want to drive to out of the way places? Mainly stay in cities for ease of use.
Night Life, beaches, relaxing, landscapes?

I think you can get a 10 day pass for around £250 last time I had a look. No idea what that is in new world money though.

Hm, well, I want to see new things and experience new cultures.  I don't really like wild partying... I like bars/pubs well enough, but not clubs.  I want to see cool buildings, old stuff, some nice scenery.  I want to stay in a city for general comfort, supplies, food, and also more stuff to do (shops, museums, galleries, etc.), but would probably be willing to do a day trip to see other stuff.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2015, 01:04:40 pm »

Important question: will you be accompanied?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 20 queries.