Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: I'm lost on this board!  (Read 3694 times)

Juice2403

• Baron
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
I'm lost on this board!
« on: February 03, 2015, 11:38:14 pm »

Code: [Select]
Embargo, Develop, Scheme, Bridge, Death Cart, Herald, Remodel, Sea Hag, Bandit Camp, Mint

Played this board in real life and I got so confused to knowing what to do it was ridiculous. Someone play this board and stream it and see if they can play this board better. I think i opened Sea Hag/Develop and some bridges, Herald and scheme. They way I played it i just wanted to quit lmao
I (WORK HARD) for what I want!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: I'm lost on this board!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 03:51:28 am »

I think you want to go for a Herald engine with Bridges as your payload, and for that, I'd open Remodel/Scheme to turn your Estates into Heralds, then buy more Heralds and a Mint as soon as you can, and then start getting Bridges, but I'm not sure if you want a Bridge before that for the economy. Also, I think the best move is to not go for Sea Hag at all, but if your opponent goes for it, then you probably want to do something about it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Juice2403

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 05:38:59 am »

I think you want to go for a Herald engine with Bridges as your payload, and for that, I'd open Remodel/Scheme to turn your Estates into Heralds, then buy more Heralds and a Mint as soon as you can, and then start getting Bridges, but I'm not sure if you want a Bridge before that for the economy. Also, I think the best move is to not go for Sea Hag at all, but if your opponent goes for it, then you probably want to do something about it.

This was a Shelters game and I actually opened Sea Hag/Develop forgetting that it was a shelter game. I was also thinking about the bridge as my pay load then when i bought develop i was like shoot its a shelters game.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 06:22:14 am »

This was a Shelters game and I actually opened Sea Hag/Develop forgetting that it was a shelter game. I was also thinking about the bridge as my pay load then when i bought develop i was like shoot its a shelters game.

Well, that makes things more complicated. Then I think you want to open either Bridge/Scheme or Sea Hag/Scheme.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 07:14:18 am »
+2

Well, this is really a hard board.

The Herald engine has a problem - it needs Heralds. A Big Money player can just Embargo the Heralds, and then you're in a lot of trouble, because the ways to deal with Curses are meh. I don't think you can avoid the Hag here... Hag/Scheme is solid, and then look at what your opponent does. As P2, depending on how my opponent opens, I'd consider opening Embargo if he already commits to a strategy.

The 5/2 of Mint/Embargo is probably devastating if you get it.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 07:22:22 am »

I'd imagine Sea Hag would make Embargo less of a concern, right? Still would slow you down a lot, but...

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 07:39:03 am »

The Herald engine has a problem - it needs Heralds. A Big Money player can just Embargo the Heralds, and then you're in a lot of trouble, because the ways to deal with Curses are meh. I don't think you can avoid the Hag here... Hag/Scheme is solid, and then look at what your opponent does. As P2, depending on how my opponent opens, I'd consider opening Embargo if he already commits to a strategy.

This is probably what I would do.  If they're obviously going Herald, I'd Embargo it and let them do it.  I think the Embargo tokens + Hag/Scheme could slow them down enough to make it too slow.  I could see the game ending on Curse-Herald-Duchy, so I'd probably just junk them as much as possible, then Death Cart stuff away at the end or something.  I just don't see Herald engine really taking off because there's no real thinners or draw here, other than chaining a bunch of Heralds together.  A Smithy or something here would be a game changer.  As is, I don't see it taking off until like turn 15 or something -- too slow.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 07:42:57 am by Dingan »

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 08:05:23 am »
+1

Sea Hag is one of my favorite cards to ignore. With any sort of decent trashing it's an easy call to ignore it, mostly because they're playing a terminal that does nothing every shuffle to give you a Curse and you're playing a "decent card" every shuffle to get rid of it. This is an oversimplification but it holds pretty well.

Here it's a tough call, Develop is effectively a terminal that does nothing when it trashes a Curse, but the Sea Hag player had a 4-card hand to work with and you only had a 3-card hand. Develop isn't very good with Shelters, despite the presence of Embargo. If you're going for an engine here (which is probably best regardless) then yellow = purple anyways, so that's really bad. Thinning is just such a priority and it's so hard to do I don't think you can ignore the lovely lady here.

I would open Sea Hag/Scheme on a 4/3 here. On a 5/2 I suppose I'd open with Mint/Embargo but I probably wouldn't be all THAT happy about it. The nice part is that you have the Necro so you don't mind picking up a Develop next and turning your other Shelters into Embargoes for economy, Also that Mint is a nice Develop target.

What would the game probably look like? Well hopefully you can get a decent enough action density at some point to justify going for Heralds, otherwise the game will just end on piles too quickly for building to be worth it.

I don't know when I'm streaming next, but if I remember I'll be happy to play this board on stream if you want.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Juice2403

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 08:16:41 am »
+1

Sea Hag is one of my favorite cards to ignore. With any sort of decent trashing it's an easy call to ignore it, mostly because they're playing a terminal that does nothing every shuffle to give you a Curse and you're playing a "decent card" every shuffle to get rid of it. This is an oversimplification but it holds pretty well.

Here it's a tough call, Develop is effectively a terminal that does nothing when it trashes a Curse, but the Sea Hag player had a 4-card hand to work with and you only had a 3-card hand. Develop isn't very good with Shelters, despite the presence of Embargo. If you're going for an engine here (which is probably best regardless) then yellow = purple anyways, so that's really bad. Thinning is just such a priority and it's so hard to do I don't think you can ignore the lovely lady here.

I would open Sea Hag/Scheme on a 4/3 here. On a 5/2 I suppose I'd open with Mint/Embargo but I probably wouldn't be all THAT happy about it. The nice part is that you have the Necro so you don't mind picking up a Develop next and turning your other Shelters into Embargoes for economy, Also that Mint is a nice Develop target.

What would the game probably look like? Well hopefully you can get a decent enough action density at some point to justify going for Heralds, otherwise the game will just end on piles too quickly for building to be worth it.

I don't know when I'm streaming next, but if I remember I'll be happy to play this board on stream if you want.

Yea that would be great so i can see what I did wrong. My girl opened Bridge/Develop and I opened the Hag/Develop which should of been a scheme and I forgot it was totally a shelters game and I was like this board is ridiculous hard. But I thought bridge would be good here if i had enough trashing and used it to pick up heralds and such. I will be playing more games in real life always everyday and if I come across another complicated board or a interesting board, I will post it for others to give it a shot to see different strategies and what not.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 08:18:23 am by Juice2403 »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 10:28:35 am »

Scheme/Sea Hag here, too. Probably get a Remodel later to get rid of Sea Hag. 5/2 seems worse, but i'd probably go Embargo/Bandit Camp, though there's no real idea behind that. I'm just awful with Mint.

TheExpressicist

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 11:07:46 am »

If it were me, I'd open Scheme/Sea Hag. I'd keep picking up Schemes with $3 hands, and alternate Remodels and Heralds, depending on how the game goes. By turn 10, the curses will probably be close to gone if your opponent goes for the mirror, and if you have enough Schemes you should be able to get in a Remodel almost every turn. Then you've got some flexibility in the endgame; you can either try to remodel your deck into BM, or you can go for a Bridge and pile out Estates if your opponent has also gone after Schemes.

Edit: if you get 5/2, I think you go Mint-Embargo. You've got about an 80% chance of hitting a $3 hand T3, then grab a Silver. Mint your silver, then grab Remodel, Schemes, and Heralds. With Necro you should be able to draw your whole deck by like T5, at which point you have a bunch of different options; you can remodel Silver into Bandit Camp/Estates into Bridges and go Engine. Or you can go BM and Mint your Gold, then Remodel Provinces into Provinces in order to speed up the end.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 11:24:19 am by TheExpressicist »

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 03:59:49 pm »
+1

It is entirely unsafe and very sketchy, but...

Remodel/Scheme, Remodel Shelters into Schemes and 1 Develop. Pick up Heralds and 1 Sea Hag with your buys. If they detour to buy Embargo, you can fall back on Remodel/Develop to gain Herald. If you can gain enough Schemes in time, you should be able to maintain trashing enough to beat out a Sea Hag open. Abuse Develop - topdeck actions - Herald to get surprisingly good turns. The tricky part is feeding stuff to Develop, ideally you can feed in $3 costs to topdeck Herald/Embargo, but odds are that won't happen.

3 pile is a bit of a worry, but if your opponent goes for a 3-pile in the non-mirror they have to spend many turns buying Duchies so that they actually have VP. In the meantime I think you have enough time to get the Bridges you need.

I'm not confident it'll work out that way, but it's what I would try. If Hag hits your Remodel, you almost certainly lose. If it hits your Scheme, you're also in a bad spot.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 21 queries.