Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: from 5 to 6: a turbulent change  (Read 1419 times)

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
from 5 to 6: a turbulent change
« on: February 02, 2015, 07:22:01 pm »
+9

Welcome to season 6 of the league everyone!

I really enjoyed the finals of season 5 last night (duh) and I think Adam and WanderingWinder did a marvelous job.
In the meanwhile season 6 has arrived.

Two mysterious forces at work. We have a new record in both players joining and players leaving. The former is welcome and leads us to having two E groups this season. Whoever caused this - feel free to do it again :). The latter is something I'd like to understand better before I can even begin to do something about it.

The result of many players leaving at the higher levels is a lot of free promotions. You got lucky if you ended as #5 in B or #2 in C. Some free promotions from D to C.
We also have 2 new players at B level.

Some cascading effect of players leaving - perhaps taking it too serious and unable to handle the disappointment / stress that losing sometimes brings - especially on livestream. Dominion has a lot of randomness in it, it's the essence of the game. The upside is that it keeps the game interesting even after playing thousands of games. Nobody can fully solve it because you will always end up in new game states. The downside is that sometimes you play a lot better and still lose. Some people also consider that part of its charm - you can compete against someone much better and still have a chance to win. Acceptance.
Join the Dominion League!

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
Re: from 5 to 6: a turbulent change
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 10:18:10 pm »
+6

Yeah so I had a rough time at the end of last season. You don't have to believe me, but I was probably going to sit this season out before those matches, mostly for personal reasons unrelated to the league.

I had tried to schedule some matches earlier on in the season and through a combination of a couple of things (Goko problems included) I ended up with 3 matches I needed to play in the last weekend.

There's been a tendency the last few seasons to put matches off more and more towards the end of the season. There are seasons I end up doing that for one reason or another, but those seasons are much less fun for me AND I tend to do worse. It got to a point where a game I find lots of fun turned into something I got upset over, but that was because I set it up to be that way.

You could say I made my own shuffle luck  ;)

Anyways, my point is that you're all going to have a lot more fun if you are proactive about getting your matches played. My point is also that if you're in one of the divisions I'm modding, I'm probably going to poke you with PMs and stuff to try and get more of your matches scheduled early.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
Re: from 5 to 6: a turbulent change
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 02:30:08 am »

I think other people have made this comment previously, but school is in full swing for some people. I backed out a couple seasons ago because scheduling games was starting to become a hassle, and I felt I needed to cool off on playing Dominion.

Although I cared about winning, it was always more about playing Dominion against strong players. It turns out that having to schedule 6 games a week was just becoming too much work and wasn't fun enough.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 21 queries.