Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Combinations that actually make Scout do something useful  (Read 20869 times)

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3961
    • View Profile
Combinations that actually make Scout do something useful
« on: February 01, 2015, 03:43:56 pm »

This thread is not a joke thread.  I love Scout jokes.  I really do.  A little too much, actually.  But this thread is about quirky combos that make one of the worst cards in the game stand out as doing something in a sort of above average kind of way.  Since this is a tall task, I might overestimate a combo, but I'm trying the best I can here.

Warehouse/Tunnels/Scout

The "Scout + Intrigue" combos have been sort of meh in my experience.  This combo actually makes Scout medium-strong in context.  Open with Warehouse and Tunnels.  Pick up a Scout or three eventually, but have more Warehouses and Tunnels than anything else.  You'll have Provinces to draw pretty early, too.  Gain more Golds, and have enough money in hand to buy Provinces on turns where you gain Golds.  Yay.

If you can get a Crossroads or two in the mix too, then it can get crazy (if not totally consistent).  Ideally, you'll be trashing your Copper early as well.

Possession/Scout

I read about this in another thread once.  Not exactly a combo, but Scout is one of the best cards to have in your hand when you want your *next* turn to be a lot better than *this* turn.  That's a backhanded compliment to be sure, but in a Possession game, this has been reported to be a legitimate strategy.  Slog through the Duchies and alt VP.  Maybe snag a Possession for yourself too - I'm not sure or it depends on the board.

Admittedly, this isn't as good as Rats/Bishop or Militia when it comes to cards your enemies won't want to play goes, but oh well.  You have to take what the board gives you.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Re: Combinations that actually make Scout do something useful
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 03:47:50 pm »

Is Scout/Crossroads not a thing?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 03:49:31 pm »

Is Scout/Crossroads not a thing?

It isn't.  You're usually better off getting another Crossroads.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 04:11:58 pm »
+2

Scout seems to be more of a smoothing supplement to other strategies, rather than something that actively combos with another card.  Obviously, Cartographer is better, but Scout is a little cheaper.  For example, if you're using Ironworks to get lots of Actions for Vineyard, grabbing a Scout will both boost your points and smooth out your draw by pulling in your Vineyards.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 04:13:32 pm »

In my experience, almost nothing really combos with Scout.  Hoping to get Crossroads and Scout in the same hand while having two or more Victory cards in the next 4 is pretty iffy.

If you're running a really heavy draw-and-sift engine, then you can skew the rest of your deck in favor of Victory cards, maybe.  And then Scout is more likely to draw them for more Cellar fodder.  But I don't know how often this pays off.  Even then, it's probably just one Scout and a lot of engine.

I did get to play Warehouse/Tunnels/Scout in a bot game, and that was fun and unique.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 04:17:07 pm »

Scout seems to be more of a smoothing supplement to other strategies, rather than something that actively combos with another card.  Obviously, Cartographer is better, but Scout is a little cheaper.  For example, if you're using Ironworks to get lots of Actions for Vineyard, grabbing a Scout will both boost your points and smooth out your draw by pulling in your Vineyards.

I get the feeling that if you're super-pro, then you might buy one at just the right time on 20% of the boards, but the rest of us are better off ignoring it 95% of the time.  And even then, you risk getting burned with the zero-card draw.

Cartographer is a god.  The nice thing about the Warehouse/Tunnels combo, though, is that Scout does something that Cartographer can't do, for once.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 04:21:31 pm »

Oh wow, I forgot about Mystic.

Mystic/Scout might be the only two-card Scout combo that is sort of ok.  Draw the green, and pick exactly what card you actually draw.  If you have one Scout and two Mystics in hand, all the better.  What's nice about Scout/Mystic is that unlike Cartographer/Mystic, there's no price point conflict.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 04:22:40 pm »
+1

Mystic/Scout might be the only two-card Scout combo that is sort of ok.  Draw the green, and pick exactly what card you actually draw.  If you have one Scout and two Mystics in hand, all the better.  What's nice about Scout/Mystic is that unlike Cartographer/Mystic, there's no price point conflict.

Wishing Well as well.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 04:23:21 pm »

Wishing Well as well.

It's better with Mystic.  Still needs +Buy, though.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 04:26:08 pm »
+4

I'm pretty sure warehouse/tunnel/scout is worse than warehouse/tunnel.

Scout + Wishing well is like, worse to have in hand than wishing well + wishing well usually. Same for mystic, unless you have like 1 scout and a bunch of mystics.

Scout/crossroads doesn't work, scout/hybrid victory doesn't work.

The only semi-reasonable reason to buy scout that I can think of is in some sort of apothecary deck which is getting clogged up by victory cards.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 04:28:58 pm »

Scout + Wishing well is like, worse to have in hand than wishing well + wishing well usually. Same for mystic, unless you have like 1 scout and a bunch of mystics.

The only semi-reasonable reason to buy scout that I can think of is in some sort of apothecary deck which is getting clogged up by victory cards.

Rabble. Although that is more of a counter than a combo...
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 04:31:39 pm »

By the way, pacovf - I see you live in Spain.  Has Guilds been translated into Spanish yet?

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 04:36:31 pm »

It's like Possession, in that it's an attack that makes you consider buying a Scout.  The other benefit of Scout is that Rabble might discard a Scout instead of what you really wanted to draw.

Of course, Scout doesn't really hard-counter either of these.  Rabble essentially leaves you with a four-card hand when "countered" in this way.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12867
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2015, 04:37:31 pm »
+1

Wishing Well as well.

And Band of Misfits as Well as well!
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2015, 04:41:00 pm »
+5

uh, scrying pool.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2015, 04:43:06 pm »

Scout has a better chance if you reshuffle by playing Warehouse right before you play it.  Lots of Warehousing can stack the deck with green, and on a big turn, Scout has a decent chance of making your next turn less awful.  This can maybe justify one Scout if you expect to draw/sift your whole deck in a turn.

With Scout/Mystic, you would never buy Scout with a $5 hand.  One Scout and a few Mystics might be good, but I haven't tried it yet.  A lot of other $3-$4 cards might take priority, though.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2015, 04:44:04 pm »

Wishing Well as well.

Wait what?  Is there a special reason to have your Misfits imitate Scout?

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2015, 04:45:28 pm »

uh, scrying pool.

Scrying Pool is just wicked good.  I'd still rather have Cartographer than Scout, but if you get stuck with $4, then ok.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2015, 04:53:18 pm »
+3

uh, scrying pool.

Scrying Pool is just wicked good.  I'd still rather have Cartographer than Scout, but if you get stuck with $4, then ok.
or just play kingdoms without cartographer... they can't all be the best combo with scrying pool ever.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12867
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2015, 05:08:32 pm »
+1

Wishing Well as well.

No, your Misfits is imitating Wishing Well. The joke is funny because there's "as well" twice.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2015, 05:12:06 pm »
+1

Wishing Well as well.

No, your Misfits is imitating Wishing Well. The joke is funny because there's "as well" twice.

Oh, see.  My brain's auto-filter just cut that right out of the sentence.  Carry on.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2015, 07:39:22 pm »

uh, scrying pool.

To be fair, Ruins/Cellar combos with Scrying Pool...

TheExpressicist

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2015, 09:10:21 am »

Vineyard/Silk Road, Scout, Ironworks, Great Hall/Island.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2015, 09:40:28 am »

Prince of Scouts is vaguely useful.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2015, 12:36:36 pm »

Prince of Scouts is vaguely useful.

Unlike King's Court, yeah.  I can see that.  But I would probably pick something else...
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.