Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Tom Vasel's Top 10 (Favourite) Cards  (Read 22275 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Tom Vasel's Top 10 (Favourite) Cards
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2015, 01:13:15 pm »
+2

I like degenerate games. This list is off the top of my head, so I didn't go through card-by-card and actually consider, so I may have just forgotten some stuff.

10. Tactician
9. Hamlet
8. Vineyards
7. Horn of Plenty
6. Chapel
5. Goons
4. Grand Market
3. King's Court
2. Wharf
1. Fishing Village
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2015, 01:29:57 pm »

I like degenerate games. This list is off the top of my head, so I didn't go through card-by-card and actually consider, so I may have just forgotten some stuff.

10. Tactician
9. Hamlet
8. Vineyards
7. Horn of Plenty
6. Chapel
5. Goons
4. Grand Market
3. King's Court
2. Wharf
1. Fishing Village

No censored cards?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2015, 01:30:48 pm »
+4

probably could have as soon as he said he gets explorer as soon as he can.

They can't all be the best card list ever.
I'm interested in the top 10 top 10 card lists.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2015, 02:26:35 pm »

How about the top 10 of those?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2015, 02:38:10 pm »

How about the top 10 of those?

To have a top 10, you need at least 10 things to list.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2015, 02:53:46 pm »
+2

10. Tactician
9. Hamlet
8. Vineyards
7. Horn of Plenty
6. Chapel
5. Goons
4. Grand Market
3. King's Court
2. Wharf
1. Fishing Village

No censored cards?

There's at least 3 off the top of my head that could definitely make the list. Especially *Censored*.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

theJester

• Bishop
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2015, 10:52:08 am »

In no particular order:

Laboratory
Stewart
Highway
Black Market
Stables
Menagerie
Monument
Moneylender
Fishing Village
Graverobber

noughtpointzero

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2015, 03:38:36 pm »

Love how he clarifies that the $2 "isn't the reason this is my favourite card" - well, yeah.

In no order:

Baker
Count
Wharf
IGG (sorry, but I like it)
Ambassador
Junk Dealer
Scavenger

elahrairah13

• Spy
  • Respect: +73
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2015, 04:55:01 pm »

eight cards I love more than I should:

Forge
Tournament
Menagerie
Duke
Knights
Rats
Swindler
Black Market

I sadly haven't played with Guilds enough to have real favorites there.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2015, 01:10:57 pm »

King's Court
Tactician
Watchtower
Apprentice
Governor
Council Room
Trusty Steed
Masterpiece
Farming Village
Poor House

Farming Village just seems so fun to play with, Watchtower can do anything, and Poor House decks are fun to set up. Most of the rest - I like big effects.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2015, 02:27:44 pm »

Hot Air Balloon
Drop Table
Merry Go Round
Etc
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2015, 02:39:14 pm »

Hot Air Balloon
Drop Table
Merry Go Round
Etc

Don't forget the Bacon Double Cheeseburger.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2015, 03:01:27 pm »
+2

Even in his list, Explorer is not the best $5 card.

Simon Jester

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: hockeyzemlan
  • changed life, changed everything
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2018, 09:27:06 am »
+1

Necroing because it's possible.

1) King's Court

Yes. I'm just that guy, but the thing with KC is that it was one of the card that to the strongest effect showed me that Dominion has several different games within itself. A KC-game is like no other and now I sure understand how some can find the card just random and frustrating, but how much fun this card has brought me. The totally insane things that can happen with KC even if you are a pretty bad player is just so great. There is no card like KC.

2) Goons

Goons is the card that you understand is totally OP already from the first read. It's payload, +buy, attack AND a VP-gainer in the same card?? Wow. The thing with Goons in difference to most other OP cards in the game is that it's not easy to play with regardless of this. You need to figure out how to play many of them and fast too. Even when you have this figured out somewhat there is a lesson more to get - you can't just spambuy coppers and expect to win anyway but you need to figure out your endgame as well. Goons has been such a massive teacher to e and I'm pretty proud that I feel so confident playing with the card now. Not a master of the game in anyway but I know the Goons.

3) Monument

Another VP-chips card and I really enjoy that mechanism. Monument is my favorit vanilla and even though it's not very good in the long run it's very fun to have it as ones main VP-source when it's actually the right way to go. Good job, DXV.

4) Bishop

Trashing for benefit is my fav uh type of cards. To realise that it's actually an advantage to trash good cards for something that it's even better for you was such a huge deal in my way to understand the game. Bishop brings you VP-chips too. Impossible för me to not love to bits.

5) Count

For me, the best trasher in the game. Sorry Chapel, you are sure more solid but the fact that Count never dies makes it so yummy in comparison. To me it's better than Sentry and Junk dealer however of course it differs where they are able to shine the most. And it's the lone star likeningwise for me in Dark Ages. Buffs it a bit on the list.

6) Festival

I think this is the card that is Dominion for me. Gives a bit of everything and only need draw support to be the star of the kingdom. One of the first cards to be depleted in most games it appeared in and well, it has been with us since the very beginning. Love where love is due.

7) Mystic

A card that never hurts your deck and therefor can be a severe trap due to it's price. There is often something even better to go for, but nevertheless, this is the card on the list I found to be most underrated by the community. You have to work a bit to make Mystic work, but when it's worth it it's very worth it. 

-8) Grand Market

Another prosperity-card and there's nothing to hide there. Grand market was that weird-costing card that didn't seem to be worth the difference from Market. To understand how much difference +1$ really does was a huge epiphany. The GM-decks was so amazing where the same thing with Market was a waste of time. Power to the people, all hail GM.

9) Salvager

Another TfB and Salvager is such a fun card to play in the right way. It took me a long time to understand that it was a waste of time using it to trash junk but it was a star as the main payload but since then, yeah, Salvager is great.

10) Doctor

Will never forget the first game of Guilds. Baker opening with 5 and I went for Doctor. Boom. My opponent couldn't do the same and I won in the most splendid way ever. Can sometimes be a trap, but when it's good it's bonkersly good.

HM: Bridge, Farming Village, Shanty Town, Harem, Wishing Well

Nothing from the latest expansions which I found a bit interesting. I think it's mainly due to that I more than anything else like the variation in the game and after the major learning experience the novelty lies in new interactions between cards rather than in any single card of it self. The new expansions are great but no single kingdom cards pops out as extra likeable to me. Instead new game-warping mechanisms as events, landmarks and heirlooms is what makes me tick thinking of them. Ah well.   
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 09:28:59 am by Simon Jester »
S

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2018, 09:48:24 am »
+1

6) Festival

I think this is the card that is Dominion for me. Gives a bit of everything and only need draw support to be the star of the kingdom. One of the first cards to be depleted in most games it appeared in and well, it has been with us since the very beginning. Love where love is due.

If there's any other village in the kingdom it's usually very skippable, actually. The main places it shines is in draw-up-to-x and if there's no other village (and in that case your engine can still dud due to the lack of drawing.) I like Festival okay, but power-wise it's mediocre.

7) Mystic

A card that never hurts your deck and therefor can be a severe trap due to it's price. There is often something even better to go for, but nevertheless, this is the card on the list I found to be most underrated by the community. You have to work a bit to make Mystic work, but when it's worth it it's very worth it. 

Mystic never hurts your deck? If your guess fails, you just played an Action-Silver. Mystic is actually one of my favorite cards, too, and I also think it's underrated, but I'll be the first to admit it's mediocre.

Simon Jester

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: hockeyzemlan
  • changed life, changed everything
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2018, 10:02:29 am »

If there's any other village in the kingdom it's usually very skippable, actually. The main places it shines is in draw-up-to-x and if there's no other village (and in that case your engine can still dud due to the lack of drawing.) I like Festival okay, but power-wise it's mediocre.

But it's still bring +buy and payload to the table. Sure, Festival is not on my top-10 power list for sure, the lack of draw is often significant enough to ignore it, but it's still a very a cute card.

Mystic never hurts your deck? If your guess fails, you just played an Action-Silver. Mystic is actually one of my favorite cards, too, and I also think it's underrated, but I'll be the first to admit it's mediocre.

Yup. Agree, but that's why it's a trap. A non-terminal silver never hurts your deck in the way terminal silver might and therefor it's so easy to bulk up on them, but if you don't have a plan for how to use the wishing-effect you will turn out with a rather mediocre deck. Bad cards are not traps, mediocre cards that show itself as awesome deluxe to you - as in my case with Mystic - are though.   
S

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2018, 11:12:45 am »

I'm pretty sure the censored card I first talked about in this thread was Giant. 

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2018, 11:38:48 am »

I'm pretty sure the censored card I first talked about in this thread was Giant.

Mine were probably Hireling, Champion, Teacher. Guessing.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2018, 12:15:05 pm »

Yup. Agree, but that's why it's a trap. A non-terminal silver never hurts your deck in the way terminal silver might and therefor it's so easy to bulk up on them, but if you don't have a plan for how to use the wishing-effect you will turn out with a rather mediocre deck. Bad cards are not traps, mediocre cards that show itself as awesome deluxe to you - as in my case with Mystic - are though.

A non-terminal Silver (including Silver itself) totally can hurt your deck, though, by making it harder to draw everything.

weesh

• Conspirator
  • MOAR MAGPIES
  • Respect: +351
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2018, 12:24:28 pm »
+1

jester (i ALWAYS overbuy.  if jester is in the game, I'm not trying that hard to win.)
magpie!
chariot race
conclave
necromancer
rats
horn of plenty
minion
masquerade
fortress (this card feels like you're cheating!)

Honorable mention:
Baker (but just for the starting coin flexibility)

7) Mystic

I think the thing that makes mystic so much fun for for me is that it has so many amazing combinations.  it works with draw to X, it combos with anything that looks at the top cards of your deck....it's the kind of card that is just BEGGING you to turn it into a good card.
power wise, it's fine. 

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2018, 01:26:36 pm »

Off the top of my head....

Black Market
Knights
Tournament
Castles
Golem
Grand Market
Goons
Peddler
KC
Tunnel
in that order, ish.
HM: Bishop, Tac, Necromancer, Hoard, Jester, Fool

Least favorite just for fun:
Ghost Ship
Pirate Ship
Torturer
IGG
any Landmarks that hinder my ridiculous engines
Coppersmith
Counting House
Rebuild
JoaT
Duchess
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chase Adolphson
  • I love dominion!
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2018, 07:39:11 pm »

Top 20
20 native village
19 miser
18 scheme
17 fortress
16 den of sin
15 tunnel
14 treasury
13 bank
12 garden
11 catacomb
10 baker
9 alchemist
8 coppersmith
7 familiar
6 hireling
5 shepherd
4 jester
3 crown
2 tournament
1 black market
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 06:43:24 pm by Chase Adolphson »
I'm glad to be talking with people that like dominion as well.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 21 queries.