Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Card idea  (Read 3231 times)

Domus

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Card idea
« on: January 27, 2015, 05:44:25 pm »

Hi.

Looking for some feedback. Want to try out a card which costs 5, it gives +3 copper, +Action but you have to pick up two coppers and put them on top of your deck.

Any feedback on this would be much appreciated. I guess the main draw back is that you clog your hand with coppers everytime. Too powerful??? Any advice? Maybe take a Estate and put it on your deck every time you use it??

Thanks

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
Re: Card idea
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 05:49:20 pm »

I'm guessing you're meaning something like this?

Card Name - $5 Action

+1 Action
+$3
Gain two coppers, putting them on top of your deck.

I personally don't know how good or bad it is.  The biggest thing to me is that it's not that exciting.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 05:57:00 pm »

It reminds me of Beggar. Beggar gains three Coppers and puts them in your hand. Your card gains only two Coppers, but it puts them on your deck. Your card gives an action, but Beggar costs much less ($2). Lastly, your card doesn't fail if Coppers are out, but Beggar has a mediocre reaction part against attacks. All in all i think it's weak. It costs a lot more than Beggar but isn't that much stronger, especially when you consider that each play reduces the use of the +1action (as your action card density decreases each play).

Domus

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 06:21:36 pm »

Ok. How about a card which lets you guess the top card on the deck of every other player then once you spy on them, for each card you guess right you can choose to gain a copy of it or make the owner gain a copy of it??

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 06:54:25 pm »
+3

Sounds like an even more painful Cache.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 07:09:17 pm »

Sounds like an even more painful Cache.

Wow, i can't believe i didn't realize this similarity.

In case you didn't know, Domus: Cache is a Treasure card costing $5 that gives $3, like Gold. It's only drawback is that you gain two Coppers when you gain it.

Ok. How about a card which lets you guess the top card on the deck of every other player then once you spy on them, for each card you guess right you can choose to gain a copy of it or make the owner gain a copy of it??

This is the card Jester from the Cornucopia expansion, which is very similar to your idea:

Jester, $5, Action-Attack
+$2
Each other player discards the top card of his deck. If it is a Victory card, he gains a Curse. Otherwise, either he or you gains a copy, your choice.

Domus

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 05:52:08 pm »

Hi. Apologies I am mainly familiar with the original set and seaside only.

What about an Action card, costs $5, gives + 1 Action, + 1 Buy and everyone must check their hand and give the player a copper if they have one, the coppers go into the player's hand but must get trashed at the end of the round. Any thoughts?

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 05:54:14 pm »
+3

Hi. Apologies I am mainly familiar with the original set and seaside only.

What about an Action card, costs $5, gives + 1 Action, + 1 Buy and everyone must check their hand and give the player a copper if they have one, the coppers go into the player's hand but must get trashed at the end of the round. Any thoughts?

I think this is actually good for the other players because it trashed their coppers for free.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

TheOthin

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 06:11:05 pm »

Cutpurse presents a way of getting Coppers out of opponents' hands without cleaning their decks for them. You could make a variant that produces coins based on the Coppers stolen, but it'd scale pretty heavily with player count, being weak with just two players but potentially very strong with more. Pirate Ship presents a way of addressing that by having a set bonus based on if you stole anything at all, but it'd be weird to get more than a coin from stealing just one Copper. Pirate Ship also has an answer for that but taking it too much out of that would just turn it into a hybrid between Pirate Ship and Cutpurse.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 07:00:39 am »

This card also has... interesting interactions with various other cards. Trader is one that springs to mind.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Domus

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 10:10:46 am »

Well I suppose that was the bittersweet aspect of the card, that you could potentially get loads of coppers at the expense of helping others clearing their deck.

Maybe it could be a bit more of a twist so the other players would have to give you a copper or a silver, therefore if they ran out of coppers they would have to give you silver instead? That sound alright?

It would be

Costs $6, gives + 1 Action, + 1 Buy, +3 VP for every Province you own and it makes everyone else give you a copper or a silver.

Sound good?

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 11:31:36 am »

Are the +3VP a bonus you get each play or something you get at the end of the game?
At the end of the game, they are similar to an idea that i think Donald rejected. Giving points for Provinces is a bit boring, as you are trying to get the most of those, anyway. The difference would probably be that this makes you buy your card and Province in an alternating pattern, similar how Duke does with Duchies. Just with the difference that there's no real way to avoid participating in the "Province race".

If it gives the +3VP every time you play it, it's not only too strong, but also takes a while to resolve, as you'll have to look through your deck and discard pile to find all the Provinces.

Copper is usually a card opponents want to get rid of - and you want to, too. You are almost always better off with doing a bonus that doesn't make you gain those bad cards and doesn't scale with different amounts of players. Cutpurse and Pirate ship both avoid it (Pirate Ship gains 1 token regardless of the number of trashed cards, Cutpurse gives straight +$2). Thief does both, but Donald recently said it makes him look bad as a designer, and Noble Brigand does scale with different player numbers but at least provides some non-scaling bonus and doesn't gain  Coppers.

Domus

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 05:10:03 pm »

What I meant is you get the coppers, they go into your hand then get trashed at the end of that round. Maybe just +2 VP for every 10 cards in your pile at the end of the game?? So the card would be

Costs $6, gives + 1 Action, + 1 Buy, +2 VP for every 10 cards in your pileat the end of the game. In addition all players give you a copper which goes into your hand but must get trashed after that round.

TheOthin

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 05:12:35 pm »

How is double Gardens something you just glue onto another card?

Domus

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 07:22:45 am »

Why not?

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 07:42:11 am »
+1

Why not?

A bunch of reasons:

1. Gardens allready exists. Gluing it on another cards is redundant, and therefore, uninteresting.

2. Gardens is a simple but interesting effect. Gluing it on another card doesn't make it more interesting, but does make it less simple. Usually you should try to make your card as interesting AND as simple as possible.

3. On the flip side, there is no particular reason to add the Gardens effect to the card.

4. Considering the price point you gave, it should also be noted that $6 for Double-Gardens is so incredibly cheap and powerful that it not only makes Gardens irrelevant on any board where they both appear on (to avoid), but in fact will make your cards the only valid strategy on the vast majority of board it appears on. This degenerates the game, which is, again, something to avoid.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.