Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Black Market + Trader  (Read 6463 times)

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Sirusc
  • Respect: +218
    • View Profile
Black Market + Trader
« on: January 22, 2015, 08:42:44 pm »
+15

If you play Black Market, buy a card and reveal Trader to get a Silver instead, then what happens with the bought card?
Black Market says to put the unbought cards on the bottom of the Black Market deck. Since the card was bought, this doesn't happen.
Does it just stay in the reveal-area? And if it does, is it then included the next time a card does something with the "revealed cards"?

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
Re: Black Market + Trader
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 08:48:33 pm »

Well on goko the card is stuck back into the BM deck. Not that that's necessarily an indication of anything...
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 09:00:53 pm »

I'm guessing "unbought" would get ruled to include cards that were bought and not gained; I don't think that conflicts with any other wordings?

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +613
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 11:16:53 pm »
+7

According to this discussion on BGG, it goes back on top of the Black Market deck.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 01:38:04 am »
+4

…Because revealed cards go back where they came from when there are no instructions to put them somewhere else.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 02:56:22 pm »
+6

Wow... so many years of playing Dominion, and still new interactions come up that I never would have thought about!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 06:32:11 pm »

…Because revealed cards go back where they came from when there are no instructions to put them somewhere else.
Is there any other case where this applies? I thought all reveal instructions are accompanied by something telling you where the card goes after.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 06:38:10 pm »
+1

Is there any other case where this applies? I thought all reveal instructions are accompanied by something telling you where the card goes after.

When you reveal a card from your hand (reactions), you usually aren't told that the card stays in your hand.

EDIT: and ironmonger doesn't specify what to do with the revealed card if you don't discard it.

As far as I can tell, revealed cards are supposed to still be wherever you are revealing them from. If, say, navigator didn't specify to put the revealed cards back on top of your deck in the order of your choosing, they would have to stay in whichever order they were before, because they haven't actually moved from where they were. Navigator doesn't actually reveal cards.

...But that would be confusing.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 06:43:11 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 07:36:35 pm »

As far as I can tell, revealed cards are supposed to still be wherever you are revealing them from. If, say, navigator didn't specify to put the revealed cards back on top of your deck in the order of your choosing, they would have to stay in whichever order they were before, because they haven't actually moved from where they were. Navigator doesn't actually reveal cards.

That's not the case. If you play Lighthouse and trash Rats or Overgrown Estate, you trash the card after the revealed cards. You don't have to remember which of the revealed non-trashed cards were on the top.

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +576
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 07:37:47 pm »

That's not the case. If you play Lighthouse and trash Rats or Overgrown Estate, you trash the card after the revealed cards. You don't have to remember which of the revealed non-trashed cards were on the top.
Assume you meant Lookout, not Lighthouse.
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 08:20:45 pm »

Lookout "looks" at the cards on the top of your deck, it doesn't reveal them, though.

Scout does reveal them, so my previous post could apply there.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 08:43:33 pm »
+3

As far as i remember, Wishing Well does not tell you where the revealed card goes if you guess wrong, so there's a precedent. Furthermore i think that all cards that reveal multiple cards include the "any order" phrase so people don't have to remember the order they were in originally.

All in all the ruling to put it back on top can be deducted from the reveal ruling, but i can't blame Goko for treating them like unbought cards. IThe way it works certainly doesn't look like a deliberate design decision.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 08:45:12 pm by Asper »

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 07:37:38 am »

Assume you meant Lookout, not Lighthouse.

Lol. Haha. You're right :)
I was pretty tired when I wrote it.

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 07:39:36 am »
+2

Lookout "looks" at the cards on the top of your deck, it doesn't reveal them, though.

Scout does reveal them, so my previous post could apply there.

Ok. Another one then: If a Knight trashes a Rats, the player trashing the Rats will draw the top unrevealed card. Not the other revealed card.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 07:44:31 am »

That's awesome. So if you want a Silver anyway, you can do this to leave that useless Treasure Map for your opponent.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 08:20:05 am »
+2

According to this discussion on BGG, it goes back on top of the Black Market deck.
I don't believe the card goes anywhere during your Black Market phase. Cards only move when you gain them, not when you buy them. That's at least my interpretation.

Donald once explained this with an analogy of buying a CD on Amazon. Buying it just means paying for it, but the CD has to be shipped to you and when you receive it, that's when you finally gain it. You could buy it, quickly cancel your order and it would never move from the warehouse.

So I believe you can buy anything, including cards from the Black Market deck, reveal Trader and the card just stays where it was, in this case on top of the BM deck. The weird part is that it's not an "unbought" card, so it doesn't go to the bottom.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +613
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 03:50:56 pm »

I don't believe the card goes anywhere during your Black Market phase. Cards only move when you gain them, not when you buy them. That's at least my interpretation.

Donald once explained this with an analogy of buying a CD on Amazon. Buying it just means paying for it, but the CD has to be shipped to you and when you receive it, that's when you finally gain it. You could buy it, quickly cancel your order and it would never move from the warehouse.

So I believe you can buy anything, including cards from the Black Market deck, reveal Trader and the card just stays where it was, in this case on top of the BM deck. The weird part is that it's not an "unbought" card, so it doesn't go to the bottom.

Er, I guess in an abstract sense the cards you look at from the Black Market are on the top of the Black Market deck until they are gained or moved to the bottom of the deck. But in an actual, physical, sense you have to turn them over to see what they are. So, this hypothetical card is "staying where it is", but tell people that and they will leave it face up on the table, which is wrong.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 01:31:01 pm »

Oh yeah, I could definitely see a case for removing it from the Black Market deck altogether.

Card is turned over, someone bought it, so it's not added to the bottom of the deck (it's not "unbought").
So it stays turned over forever, without anyone ever being able to buy it again (you can only buy cards you turn over).

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 03:08:16 pm »
+1

Oh yeah, I could definitely see a case for removing it from the Black Market deck altogether.

Card is turned over, someone bought it, so it's not added to the bottom of the deck (it's not "unbought").
So it stays turned over forever, without anyone ever being able to buy it again (you can only buy cards you turn over).

No way.... if you followed that rule, then the card revealed by Wishing Well would be gone from your deck forever if you guessed wrong.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 02:04:57 pm »

Revealing or looking at a card is the same, the only difference is who gets to see the card.

Revealed/looked at cards stay where they are, except if they are in your deck. In that case you technically set them aside while they are revealed/looked at. (See paragraph 15 in the FAQ in my sig, Donald explained this.) Then return them to where they came from unless instructed otherwise (per the printed rules). This is important because if the revealed/looked at cards were still in your deck, you would get weird situations with Lookout etc as has been brought up in this thread, and also Golem.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2015, 02:54:54 pm »
+1

That's awesome. So if you want a Silver anyway, you can do this to leave that useless Treasure Map for your opponent.

You have to pay one more $ than for regular Silver, and it just limits his choices by half. If the next player to use Black Market is you, you basically hindered yourself. With style, of course.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2015, 02:12:37 am »

Would be cool to play Black Market 3 times during your turn and leave a Treasure Map and 2 Potion cards on top (assuming your opponent didn't buy a Potion specifically for the BM deck).

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2015, 02:28:33 am »

Would be cool to play Black Market 3 times during your turn and leave a Treasure Map and 2 Potion cards on top (assuming your opponent didn't buy a Potion specifically for the BM deck).

You can't do that. The first 2 times you leave a card on top, you'll get the card yourself next time you play BM. Only the last card you leave on top will be for your opponent.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 20 queries.