Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Tournament-Province Reveal  (Read 10714 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
Tournament-Province Reveal
« on: January 22, 2015, 02:13:25 pm »

I was playing a game of Dominion (as usual), and I was wondering. Is there EVER a time where you would choose to not reveal a Province when someone plays a Tournament?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Re: Tournament-Province Reveal
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 02:15:52 pm »

The most common reason would be that all 5 prizes are gone, and you don't want a Duchy on top of your deck. Or even if the only prizes left are Followers (with all Curses gone already) and Diadem in certain decks, you might not want them either.

*Edit* Oops, misread the question, never mind.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 02:36:21 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 02:16:45 pm »
+1

The most common reason would be that all 5 prizes are gone, and you don't want a Duchy on top of your deck. Or even if the only prizes left are Followers (with all Curses gone already) and Diadem in certain decks, you might not want them either.

But they would draw the duchy.

Prizes and duchies are out and triggering a reshuffle is really bad for them.

The standard Possession edge case: you're currently possessing them, so you get the benefit.

Information edge case: Letting them know you have a province in hand is worse than giving them the tournament benefit. Maybe they're testing the waters before committing to a KC-Tournament
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 02:20:27 pm by GeoLib »
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 02:38:21 pm »

The standard Possession edge case: you're currently possessing them, so you get the benefit.

Information edge case: Letting them know you have a province in hand is worse than giving them the tournament benefit. Maybe they're testing the waters before committing to a KC-Tournament

Prizes and Duchies don't need to be out; the question doesn't involve the player who played Tournament having had a Province himself.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 02:41:23 pm »
+2

You might not reveal Province if they are about to trigger a really bad reshuffle
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 02:42:04 pm »

That would be awesome.

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 02:46:05 pm »
+1

Sadly one of the subtleties lost on Goko, although there isn't a great way around that.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 02:50:49 pm »
+2

In a multiplayer game you might want to favour one player over another, for instance letting one losing player take the last duchy before it gets to a closer rival.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 02:58:09 pm »

In a multiplayer game you might want to favour one player over another, for instance letting one losing player take the last duchy before it gets to a closer rival.

Revealing Province when another player plays Tournament has no affect on whether or not he gets a Prize/Duchy.

But your scenario could work if you just mean that you want to make sure he gets to $5 to buy a Duchy.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 03:10:58 pm »
+4

Your opponent revealed a hand of Tournament, Tournament, Copper, Curse, Menagerie for whatever reason. You might not want to reveal a Province for the first Tournament in hopes of having him draw another Copper or Curse.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 03:33:24 pm »

Your opponent revealed a hand of Tournament, Tournament, Copper, Curse, Menagerie for whatever reason. You might not want to reveal a Province for the first Tournament in hopes of having him draw another Copper or Curse.

Along the same lines; you've been tracking your opponent's buys well enough to know for sure that he has no more unique cards in his deck; the next draw is guaranteed to be a duplicate.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 03:53:40 pm »
+5

His tournament is Princed, so he has to play it first. He also has KC-Poor House in hand. Having him draw a potential copper gives him 1 from tournament, but takes 3 away from the Poor Houses while giving 1 for the Copper for a net loss of 1.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 03:59:02 pm »
+12

I was playing a game of Dominion (as usual), and I was wondering. Is there EVER a time where you would choose to not reveal a Province when someone plays a Tournament?
The classic reason is, it's a multiplayer game, and someone else already revealed a Province, hooray. You'd just as soon not give more information to in-between players.

GeoLib

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 04:38:27 pm »

Prizes and Duchies don't need to be out; the question doesn't involve the player who played Tournament having had a Province himself.

Good call, yeah.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 04:40:43 pm »

The Inverse question goes something like this, You have 2 or more Tournaments in hand. You play the first Tournament and your opponent reveals a Province. Is there ever a reason to not play the next Tournament from your hand?

The only obvious reason that comes to mind is TFB you might burn the Tournament card with, also Diadem.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 05:03:52 pm »
+4

The Inverse question goes something like this, You have 2 or more Tournaments in hand. You play the first Tournament and your opponent reveals a Province. Is there ever a reason to not play the next Tournament from your hand?

The only obvious reason that comes to mind is TFB you might burn the Tournament card with, also Diadem.

You don't want to be be a dick and waste your opponent's time for no reason?
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

GeoLib

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2015, 05:09:57 pm »

We can do the information thing again here. Why give your opponent information?

Further, you're giving them a choice of whether or not to reveal their province, so this situation can only be worse for you. I think from a game theory perspective, playing the second tournament is strictly worse (unless you've got some other reason to, like conspirator, etc.).
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2015, 06:06:25 pm »

You are about to play a Madman and want a bigger hand. Discarding to Cellar or Storeroom are also possibilities.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 06:34:58 pm by JW »

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2015, 06:16:20 pm »

All sorts of times when you're happy to have extra cards in hand whatever they are.

I don't see Diadem though, as it's fairly important in the design of Tournament that you always get the +1 Action.

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2015, 06:20:35 pm »

Conversely, anything where you want your extra Tournament to no longer be in your hand could be a reason to play it. Maybe you want to play an Altar or Forager or something and you want an empty hand so you don't have to trash anything. Also if it's the only non-terminal in your hand and you have TR or KC or Procession as well as terminal draw, multiplying the Tournament would give you extra Actions to use after playing your terminal draw. Or draw-to-X. Basically any time you'd want to play a Ruined Village, although you'd probably want to trash Ruined Village when you could, unlike Tournament.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 06:22:08 pm by TheOthin »

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2015, 10:43:32 pm »

You are about to play a Madman and want a bigger hand. Discarding to Cellar or Storeroom are also possibilities.

You misread the question. Revealing a Province to an opponent's Tournament does not decrease your handsize.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2015, 10:54:13 pm »

You misread the question. Revealing a Province to an opponent's Tournament does not decrease your handsize.

You misread the question, actually.  It says you have two Tournaments, and the first has just been blocked.  Why not play the second Tournament even though it won't help you?  Playing the second Tournament would decrease your handsize (if blocked again), which you may or may not want depending on what else you have in your hand.

Another reason that I haven't seen here yet is that you might want to play the Tournament with TR/KC to get extra actions.

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2015, 11:31:42 am »

Another simple case is when you want your opponent to have maximum chance to play a poison card. E.g. you really want the opponent to play Governor as remodel so you can grab the pen-ultimate province by trashing a Kc. You want your opponent to play an attack so you can bulk up your Feodums with Beggar. Just about any player interaction can potentially be a poison card (e.g. Witch causes you to gain 7 VP thanks to your Gardens) and you may well want then to have maximum chance to play their entire deck - particularly if you got "lucky" (e.g. you have 3 Beggars in hand this turn, but next will likely have 0).

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2015, 01:50:09 pm »

The classic reason is, it's a multiplayer game, and someone else already revealed a Province, hooray. You'd just as soon not give more information to in-between players.
Goko still gives it away with the slight delay.

Basically, there should always be a button you have to click which says "either I don't have a Province in hand or I don't wish to reveal one".
Likewise, there should always be buttons for Reactions, Stables, Spice Merchant, etc..
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 01:56:02 pm by Davio »

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2015, 01:53:20 pm »

Goko still gives it away with the slight delay.

Basically, there should always be a button you have to click which says "either I don't have a Province or I don't wish to reveal one".
Likewise, there should always be buttons for Reactions, Stables, Spice Merchant, etc..

But at least Moneylender lets you choose which Copper to trash!
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 2.5 seconds with 21 queries.