Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Easy Duke Board?  (Read 1424 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
Easy Duke Board?
« on: January 20, 2015, 06:27:20 pm »

Code: [Select]
Poor House, Pawn, Lookout, Philosopher's Stone, Trader, Cartographer, Duke, Wharf, Adventurer, Hunting Grounds

I mean, I almost lost this game despite my opponent going for a Cartographer/Wharf Province run.

I went for a Duke/Duchy run using Philosopher's Stone and Wharf.

http://dominionlogs.goko.com/20150120/log.516e6dcee4b082c74d7d8423.1421796141803.txt

I got a bit unlucky in the beginning for sure, with my Lookout being drawn with all 3 of my Estates, and I'm not so sure I should have bought Lookout over Silver anyways, but eh.

There was a turn where I could have bought a Duchy and I bought a Phil Stone instead. Maybe that was a mistake too, since my opponent decided to rush Duchies to deny me. I was ahead in Duchy count 3-1, and instead of a 5-3 split, it could have been a 6-2 Split.

Any thoughts on this board in general? Seems kind of a one sided Duke strategy game here to me, but my opponent was pretty close the whole game.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: Easy Duke Board?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 06:49:27 pm »
+2

The duchy/duke thing needs to be much simpler. It doesn't need the lookout or philosopher's stones. All the turns spent buying philosopher's stones should be buying duchies. Philosopher's stones are better for spiking high cost cards rather than 5 coin dukes.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 07:05:28 pm »

What is the optimal Duke strat here? I'm tempted to say wharf, but I think that a Wharf/BM strategy that denies a few duchies might beat that.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 08:33:03 pm »
+3

Trader into Wharf looks like the best support for Duchy/Duke. Depending on how the Duchy split goes, the loser of the split could definitely recover with Provinces, though it will be hard as always. I don't really see buying anything but Trader/Wharf/Silver/Gold no matter what VP source you go for. Hunting Grounds is closest to being viable if you want Provinces.

qdread

• Thief
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 11:31:07 am »
+3

If you want Dukes, Lookout will only weaken your deck by trashing coppers. With Duke you will usually have such a low average treasure value with all the early greening that you would rather keep the coppers. Trader is superior because it increases the money density way more when you trash an estate.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 20 queries.