Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Sales on Humble Bundle  (Read 7742 times)

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Sales on Humble Bundle
« on: January 20, 2015, 04:40:35 pm »
+5

Looks like you can get some of the expansions in the Humble Bundle today, in case you were waiting on one.

https://www.humblebundle.com/

Looks like Seaside is there if you pay $6.63+, and Intrigue/Prosperity if you pay $12+
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
Re: Sales on Humble Bundle
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 05:40:10 pm »

I was all excited when I thought this was for the physical sets. Seaside for $7? Yes please.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 06:26:56 pm »

I have never heard of Humble Bundle. What is it?

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 06:35:44 pm »
+4

I have never heard of Humble Bundle. What is it?

Depending on the amount of free time you have, either the best thing ever or the worst thing ever.

You pay what you want for a bundle of games. If you pay more than the average, you get extra games. Sometimes recent games are included in the bundle, in which case you have to pay a minimum to also get those extra games.

The bundles go from thematic assortment of somewhat unknown games to fantastic packs with the best recent indie games. It is not uncommon to get the whole bundle for 5-6$ if you buy it early.

Note that bundles never last more than two weeks. Usually, extra games are revealed after the end of the first week.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +613
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 06:52:18 pm »
+2

It's also worth noting that you can not only choose how much you pay, but you can also choose where you want your money to go.
The default split is 65% to the game devs, 20% to charity, 15% towards running the Humble Bundle website.
The charities vary from bundle to bundle, so make sure you have a look at what awesome organisations your purchase is helping to support.

I'm not sure the savings are that great to get these 3 expansions for $12 and then have to buy the rest of the Goko expansions at full price, instead of buying the Ultra pack.
However, if you are going to play any of the other games the value goes through the roof.

I already have all the sets on Goko, plus Talisman & Star Realms, so I will have to look at the whether I want the other games to decide if its worth it for me.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 08:17:36 pm »
+4

I was somewhat surprised to see Dominion on the Humble Bundle. I would have thought MF would want to release their new code before getting the spike of demand I'm sure they'll see from it. Maybe they're low on funds and are using it to bring in a few extra bucks to get them through to the mobile release? It seems like a gamble, since if the site doesn't work well they could end up with a lot of unhappy folks.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 08:21:17 pm »

I was somewhat surprised to see Dominion on the Humble Bundle. I would have thought MF would want to release their new code before getting the spike of demand I'm sure they'll see from it. Maybe they're low on funds and are using it to bring in a few extra bucks to get them through to the mobile release? It seems like a gamble, since if the site doesn't work well they could end up with a lot of unhappy folks.

They probably need more funds. Otherwise this promotion makes no sense. Also this deal could have been locked in before the server issues happened

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 08:26:23 pm »
+2

They probably need more funds. Otherwise this promotion makes no sense. Also this deal could have been locked in before the server issues happened

They are only getting a fraction of the purchase price for this, so presumably the plan is that people that buy this bundle will be enticed to buy the other expansions at full price.
Not necessarily a great plan, given that the bundle comes with a bunch of other games that I'm pretty sure, you know, work.

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +576
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 08:27:57 pm »

They are only getting a fraction of the purchase price for this, so presumably the plan is that people that buy this bundle will be enticed to buy the other expansions at full price.
Not necessarily a great plan, given that the bundle comes with a bunch of other games that I'm pretty sure, you know, work.

Well by being in a bundle with things that definitely work, it may attract new people, who are buying the bundles for the other things. And these people might buy more expansions on Goko.
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 01:02:27 pm »

And then there's people like me who still haven't shelled out for all the cards yet... Through the humble bundle (if you're not counting that you might want other games) you save a grand total of $4 by getting those three sets through HB.  So that really isn't a lot, and considering there are people who do pay more than the $12, and a lot of people buying it won't necessarily be doing it just for Dominion, I could definitely see how this is a good move for them.  Granted, they don't make close to 100% of the money given, but I feel like they could do worse...

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 11:57:13 am »

I'm gonna pay a dollar to get scrolls.  I've heard really good things about scrolls.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 01:01:16 pm »

it took me a while to redeem keys, I don't feel like redeeming the star realms key.  star realms is garbage right? someone reassure me it's garbage

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2015, 01:33:00 pm »

it took me a while to redeem keys, I don't feel like redeeming the star realms key.  star realms is garbage right? someone reassure me it's garbage

It's no worse than a base-only game of Ascension.

OK, it's actually slightly worse than that.  Not garbage, but not exactly a strategic masterpiece.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2015, 02:34:47 pm »

Star Realms is not Dominion, but I think it's a fun diversion. I haven't played it that much, but it feels like a mix between knowing how to adapt your plan on the fly and hoping you don't get bad RNG on what cards you add to the supply after buying something.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2015, 04:30:54 pm »

It sounds like I can forgive myself for skipping it then.  I'm gonna keep going with scrolls and decide how much I like it.  Maybe play some of the other steam stuff that was in the bundle.  Convenience is a big factor to me, only Scrolls' reputation made me willing to play it outside of steam
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 04:32:04 pm by popsofctown »

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2015, 04:39:50 pm »
+1

Star Realms is not Dominion, but I think it's a fun diversion. I haven't played it that much, but it feels like a mix between knowing how to adapt your plan on the fly and hoping you don't get bad RNG on what cards you add to the supply after buying something.

Yeah, I enjoy Star Realms, but I find it pretty funny that it uses that mechanic of cycling through different cards in the supply. IIRC, that was Donald's first idea for how the supply would work in Dominion but he quickly dismissed it as too luck-driven. It's especially frustrating that the strongest cards in Star Realms have only one copy, so you just have to weep as they turn over for your opponent.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2015, 05:02:39 pm »

I really like Star Realms.  It's the app itself that isn't that great.  I like star realms a lot better than ascension.  But that's me.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2015, 06:09:23 pm »
+3

Yeah, I enjoy Star Realms, but I find it pretty funny that it uses that mechanic of cycling through different cards in the supply. IIRC, that was Donald's first idea for how the supply would work in Dominion but he quickly dismissed it as too luck-driven. It's especially frustrating that the strongest cards in Star Realms have only one copy, so you just have to weep as they turn over for your opponent.

In a cold, calculated, theoretical persona of someone who studies game mechanics and looks at them and decides if they are good or bad I would strongly agree with you and disapprove of designing a game with that mechanic.

On the other hand there's a joyous enthusiastic emotion that rises up in my heart when I see Black Market in the kingdom.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2015, 06:18:11 pm »

In a cold, calculated, theoretical persona of someone who studies game mechanics and looks at them and decides if they are good or bad I would strongly agree with you and disapprove of designing a game with that mechanic.

On the other hand there's a joyous enthusiastic emotion that rises up in my heart when I see Black Market in the kingdom.
I agree, it's not the best mechanic.  But I think star realms does it better than ascension.  I don't feel like I get screwed over as often by luck in star realms.  Then again, I never really understood how to play ascension well at all...

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2015, 06:26:13 pm »

I enjoy Black Market a lot but I think part of what makes it work is that there's an opportunity cost and delay associated with buying the Black Market. Even if one player does get a Chapel/Ambassador/etc out of the Black Market, they certainly aren't getting it on T1/T2, and probably not on T3/T4 either. That means that you need to construct a strategy from the other kingdom cards that works well enough to get you something good out of the Black Market in the first place and cycle it around so that you can play it enough times before the game ends.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2015, 07:45:44 pm »
+1

I enjoy Black Market a lot but I think part of what makes it work is that there's an opportunity cost and delay associated with buying the Black Market. Even if one player does get a Chapel/Ambassador/etc out of the Black Market, they certainly aren't getting it on T1/T2, and probably not on T3/T4 either. That means that you need to construct a strategy from the other kingdom cards that works well enough to get you something good out of the Black Market in the first place and cycle it around so that you can play it enough times before the game ends.

If it's the moderation that makes it work, maybe it could still be done right in a knockoff game that handles it in a moderated way, then.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2015, 11:39:05 am »

I've just given Star realms a try because, hey, why not.  It occupies a tiny box on my screen.  Disappointing if not so surprising, as I do have a high resolution screen.  So I try reducing my screen resolution to see if I'll be able to read anything.  No: it just renders the same tiny box in lower resolution.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2015, 02:47:05 pm »

I've just given Star realms a try because, hey, why not.  It occupies a tiny box on my screen.  Disappointing if not so surprising, as I do have a high resolution screen.  So I try reducing my screen resolution to see if I'll be able to read anything.  No: it just renders the same tiny box in lower resolution.

I think it's because it was originally meant for tablets.  It runs at full size on my 10-inch tablet though, so it ought to take up more than a little screen real estate on a big screen.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2015, 04:30:39 pm »
+3

Have you tried "Settings" / "Full Screen Mode"?
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2015, 05:56:13 pm »

Have you tried "Settings" / "Full Screen Mode"?

That was it!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.594 seconds with 20 queries.