Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How do YOU process a kingdom?  (Read 3937 times)

TheExpressicist

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
How do YOU process a kingdom?
« on: January 19, 2015, 02:31:48 pm »
+2

As you could probably tell from my previous post, I'm very interested in how other people process information and learn. So I'm curious to know, when you see a kingdom, what actually goes through your mind as you process it? For example: Do you look at the whole thing and just see the interactions between the cards? Or do you look at each individual card first? Or do you look for particular "classes" of cards, etc. etc. etc.

For me, I'm basically scanning through and determining what "type" of game I'm going to be playing. I start by scanning for obvious power cards/combos/strategies. If I don't see any, then I scan for attacks/trashing and determine if the game is going to be a slog-fest. If not, then I scan through to see if there's enough pieces to put together an engine. If not, then I sigh and start playing Big Money. Regardless of what I'm playing, I then try to do a quick evaluation of gameplans. I start by asking myself, "How do I plan on winning and is that realistic?" e.g. three-pile, mega-turn, buy X provinces a turn, etc. Then, I ask myself what pieces I would buy in a perfect world to make that happen. Finally, I make a few contingency plans if things don't go according to plan. From my discussion in that other thread with Mic Qsenoch, it sounds like I am probably putting a bit too much faith in "the plan" and as such I'm not as adaptable when things go "off the rails", as they usually do.

How about you all?  When you see a kingdom for the first time, how do you go about processing it and figuring out your gameplan?

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
Re: How do YOU process a kingdom?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 02:47:58 pm »
+1

TheExpressicist

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 02:58:10 pm »

Like this.

That's a great thread. It's a shame more people didn't chime in with how they personally do it.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 03:00:49 pm »

Like this.

That's a great thread. It's a shame more people didn't chime in with how they personally do it.

There was another thread or two about it around that time, too. Can't find the links. Maybe someone else has them?

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 03:06:04 pm »
+15

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 03:09:06 pm »

This is a little outdated/generic but still mostly applies to me.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 04:08:26 pm »

I find I tend to do best if I read all the card names out loud to myself before beginning.  That way, I don't mistakenly forget that hey, Minion's in this kingdom, oops.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

brokenlasagna

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 04:14:23 pm »
+6

First thing I do, check to see of there's a second page. Nothing like building a strategy and then watching your opponent buy a rebuild off the second page...

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12869
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 04:20:03 pm »
+1

1. Figure out how I want to win by looking for combos, alt-VP cards and payloads
2. Figure out if/how I can do it by looking for enablers and counters (repeat this step for every different option found in step 1)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 04:21:35 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 04:43:38 pm »

I notice if any cards jump out for me first such as rebuild or goons or whatever. I look then to see if an engine can be built that either uses those cards or doesn't. I then look for combos like NV/Bridge, etc. and ask if said combos can beat the engine or power cards like Rebuild. If there are a lack of engine components and power cards, I ask if a "small" engine can be built. I then proceed to see if alt. vp cards are on the board. If not, I begin to decide what is the best BM strategy.

Processing an engine takes longer. Looking at the board, I ask myself what do I want to do exactly, and sometimes I'm not sure. You don't know what you're going to hit and exactly when you're going to hit the amounts you hope for. But, I do try to get a sense of the engine I am building. Some are straightforward and some are not.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 04:49:08 pm »
+11

One easy trap to fall into is to try and elucidate all the combos/synergies on the board, even the pointless/weak ones. Noticing a weak synergy at the start of the game is a surefire way to inflate it's importance in your mind thereafter. A lot of skill in picking correct strategies comes from *ignoring* the small stuff, not noticing everything. So I usually just let whatever good things on the board jump out at me to begin with. Then look for stuff to support the good cards/strats. Once you start building your deck, then you try to exploit the small synergies between cards.

A key thing for me personally is to never remember (or even look at) the 11th card with YW. It helps keep the games exciting.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 04:54:28 pm »

A key thing for me personally is to never remember (or even look at) the 11th card with YW. It helps keep the games exciting.

? ? ? ?

I know you are one of the best ever Dominion players, but this is a joke, right?

TheExpressicist

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 05:08:02 pm »

One easy trap to fall into is to try and elucidate all the combos/synergies on the board, even the pointless/weak ones. Noticing a weak synergy at the start of the game is a surefire way to inflate it's importance in your mind thereafter. A lot of skill in picking correct strategies comes from *ignoring* the small stuff, not noticing everything. So I usually just let whatever good things on the board jump out at me to begin with. Then look for stuff to support the good cards/strats. Once you start building your deck, then you try to exploit the small synergies between cards.

Agreed. Can't count how many times I've thought, "Oooo Tunnel works well with XYZ!" and then derailed an otherwise solid engine. Clever combinations for the sake of clever combinations rarely work out. 

Throwaway_bicycling

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 09:52:48 pm »

? ? ? ?

I know you are one of the best ever Dominion players, but this is a joke, right?

Okay; so I don't know Mic Qsenoch from Adam, although I have grown somewhat addicted to his Dominion videos. That said, I am pretty sure that *could* be a joke.

But I did recently watch a stream of his League match against Stef, who is another of the best ever Dominion players, where in one game there was Baker on the board, and, as Stef, as player one, was plotting out his first move, Mic Q. was also contemplating the board and its possibilities, thinking out loud, giving brilliant insights at every turn but not acknowledging the fact that he had a coin token available. It...was maddening.

Although I only saw the stream weeks after the match had occurred, I was almost to the point of shouting "But...you've got a coin token!" knowing full well that only time travel would be of use.

Then Stef opened, and made a buy that required him to use his coin token, and Our Hero finally noticed that it was indeed a Baker board, and switched gears accordingly.

It was awesome.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 10:06:08 pm »
+9

Mic Qsenoch is the worst Dominion player, except for all the other ones.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.