Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Author Topic: Play Temporum online, single-player against AI!  (Read 42560 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
Re: Play Temporum online, single-player against AI!
« Reply #125 on: February 11, 2015, 03:22:40 am »
+3

Police State: Easy to implement, but if I implement it with the current AI, then you will be able to simply lock the AI down in the Police State since it doesn't know how to visit Time IV. To allow him to visit Time IV means both updating every Time IV zone that provides a choice to handle the AI being there, and also having the AI know when it's a good idea to go to Time IV in the first place.
Obv. handling a visit to Time IV requires specific code for each Zone that has decisions.

To decide whether or not to go there, that's just the basic better algorithm for picking where to go - you make a copy of the game, simulate turns for each option, calculate numbers for the resulting board states, and pick the move that produced the best number. Time IV isn't an exception or anything here, it takes no extra code (beyond the code needed for handling visits to Time IV). This algorithm is pretty simple. The only tricky part is dealing with drawn cards that can't be known (since that would be an unfair advantage) but which are used as if known (such as due to Alien Contact and Age of Toys). Possibly you just define some new cards that are only used by the simulation and only in these cases (so, simulated Age of Toys always gives you a choice between +$12 and +$12).

Anyway I will type something up about the board state evaluation.

Industrial Revolution: Sounds easy, doesn't it? But it's a programming nightmare. This card breaks the Lose Track rule. After you've played a card, who knows where it is. In the discard? In play? Back in your hand? Industrial Revolution simply can't find the card to return it to your hand; it doesn't know where the card is; it doesn't even know what card to look for. All it knows is that some card was played. I may have to update every single player card to handle what to do when it is played from Industrial Revolution.
In almost all situations there are only three places the card can be (play, top of discard, hand). The only exception is if you force a shuffle after the card resolves but before the if-ruling part resolves, which could happen due to Gang of Pickpockets. I feel like, you can pass on faithfully simulating that situation. It's pretty rare.

In practice everyone is treating it as an "instead" - they obv. aren't moving the card to the discard pile and then picking it up. You could just treat it that way. A played card by default goes to discard or play; Bag of Loot goes to hand instead; and if played via Industrial Revolution's ability and they rule there at the moment we are considering this, they pick hand or not (not then meaning discard/play/hand as normal). So, you just track whether the play was via Industrial Revolution or not, and then use that information to help determine the card destination when ready to move it.

[Obv. Industrial Revolution has no effect on cards played there that aren't via its ability (such as via playing Trinket there).]

Age of Cults: Probably not as hard as it sounds; I'll probably do this next, then move on to Donald's "smart History changing" AI heuristic.
Here you just use the same decision algorithm as for discarding, only, put the cards into an array and then dole them back out, skipping the empty slots. Obv. for good play you want to avoid passing someone a game-winning scoring ratio late in the game, but that could be on a list for someday.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 11, 2015, 09:50:37 am »
+1

So, you just track whether the play was via Industrial Revolution or not, and then use that information to help determine the card destination when ready to move it.

[Obv. Industrial Revolution has no effect on cards played there that aren't via its ability (such as via playing Trinket there).]

The reason this is harder (maybe not harder, but at least annoying) than it sounds is that the "on play" code for each card is responsible for moving it to the right place after it's done being played. This means that all 30 cards need to be slightly updated to check and see if it was played from IR. Originally I had the general "play card" method just call the selected cards "on play" method and then discard it after it was done, (so that the code to discard a card when done was in only 1 place instead of part of every card), but that didn't work with Bag of Loot or blue cards.

So it can be done, it's just more work than it sounds like it should be.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 11, 2015, 10:48:00 am »
+2

The reason this is harder (maybe not harder, but at least annoying) than it sounds is that the "on play" code for each card is responsible for moving it to the right place after it's done being played. This means that all 30 cards need to be slightly updated to check and see if it was played from IR. Originally I had the general "play card" method just call the selected cards "on play" method and then discard it after it was done, (so that the code to discard a card when done was in only 1 place instead of part of every card), but that didn't work with Bag of Loot or blue cards.
Well I don't know what the code looks like. If the card is an object, you can just have the base routine for momentary, override it for perpetual, and override it for Bag of Loot, for 3 routines. I mean uh obv. you wouldn't say what to do 30 times when there are 3 cases.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 11, 2015, 11:34:40 am »
+1

Well I don't know what the code looks like. If the card is an object, you can just have the base routine for momentary, override it for perpetual, and override it for Bag of Loot, for 3 routines. I mean uh obv. you wouldn't say what to do 30 times when there are 3 cases.

This gives me good ideas.

Did you Did you see my question about Age of Cats/Toys/Cybernetics? Is there a game-design reason why they have "You may"? It's two less words and one less almost-meaningless decision to make them mandatory, and the edge cases where it's a good idea to visit there without wanting to do the action are very rare.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 11, 2015, 11:58:24 am »
+3

Did you Did you see my question about Age of Cats/Toys/Cybernetics? Is there a game-design reason why they have "You may"? It's two less words and one less almost-meaningless decision to make them mandatory, and the edge cases where it's a good idea to visit there without wanting to do the action are very rare.
I didn't I didn't see it, and still haven't, just this repeating of it.

In my experience, "You may pay $4. If you do..." is simpler than "Pay $4. If you do..." It makes the "if you do" make more sense; there's no, wait why does that say "if" when I'm forced to? So that covers Cats/Toys. And uh obv. for playing irl, that "you may" decision takes absolutely zero time; you decide to go to Age of Cats, you go there and pay your $10.

I am not sure what the reason is for Age of Cybernetics. Possibly no reason.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 11, 2015, 05:41:31 pm »
+4

Ok, cool. Industrial Revolution (Time III Zone) is done! Thanks to ideas given by Donald. So I did have to make a small change to each of the 30 cards, but only because I should have done it better in the first place.

Also fun; I visited Information Age with 4 Crowns in each II and III. When I went to III, I played Anubis Statuette. That interrupts Information Age and I visited a non-real Communist Utopia, where I played a total of 4 cards (because 2 of them were Trinkets). After which Information Age continued and jumped me up to II, where I drew 2 cards. And it all worked properly!

Code: [Select]
You visited Information Age
You visited Bureaucracy
You played Anubis Statuette
You gained $2
You visited Communist Utopia
You played Conspiracy
You gained $0
You played Trinket
You gained $4
You played Trinket
You gained $4
You played Explorer
You gained $6
You visited Pax Buddha
You drew Tulip Stocks
You gained $1
You drew Think Tank
You gained $1
You drew Black Market
You gained $1

So I think I need to fix the end-of-turn / end-of-zone effects now, because those are bugs that can actually happen. At first I was thinking that if you played both Step on a Butterfly and Predict the Future in the same turn that there would be no problem with Butterfly happening first always, but I realize now that you might want to Predict the Future first because it will change what Butterfly actually does. So I need to put in a more complex system for holding a list of events that need to happen at end of zone and end of turn, and then handle them one at a time in player order (and give the player a choice when the same player has more than one).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 05:49:46 pm by GendoIkari »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 11, 2015, 05:50:43 pm »

I just played a game with it.  Seems to be working well.  I ruled 2 ages including Age III, and I used Industrial Revolution to play Gladiator's Gladius a few times.  I stopped with $50 and a big hand, then proceeded to score 3 cards in a row to win.  I wouldn't have had enough money, but Iron Ages helped out a bunch.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 14, 2015, 06:33:44 pm »
+1

Just ran into a bug, but it might be because you are currently updating.

I went to Communist Utopia with $8.  I played Anubis Statuette, which put me at $10, followed by Treasure Map, which took me to $16.  Now I choose to discard Treasure Map to draw 2 more cards.  The log shows that Treasure Map let me draw Crown Jewels and Gladiator's Gladius, but they have not appeared in my hand.  Instead, my hand remains the same and the choice for Treasure Map is still there.  The links only take me to the top of the page.

I also had a bunch of other permanent powers in play: Think Tank, Gang of Pickpockets, Prime Real Estate and Secret Society.

It's probably just because you were updating, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 14, 2015, 06:54:33 pm »
+4

Thanks, but yeah, anything that was wrong the last 30 minutes or so was due to reworking the way end of turn (end end of zone) events work.

But they work now! So Predict the Future and Step on a Butterfly are the only 2 end-of-turn events (Investments is still handled separately; happens after those others). If multiple players have an end-of-turn event waiting (due to Warm Globe), then each player will handle their events in turn order starting with the current player. If you have more than type of event (if you played both Predict & Butterfly), then you choose which one to resolve until only 1 remains, and then the last happens automatically.

Same thing pretty much for end-of-zone events. Anubis Statuette is currently the only End-of-Zone event. (I guess Treasure Map should be as well, but for now that happens after Anubis). If you play multiple Anubis, you get all of them. If multiple players play Anubis (Warm Globe), then they all get Anubis effect, in turn order.

So to test this out, I temporarily change the entire deck to be all Anubis Statuettes, and played a 5 player game and went to Warm Globe. The log:

You visited Warm Globe
You gained $8
You gained $2
Player 4 played Anubis Statuette
Player 4 gained $2
Player 5 played Anubis Statuette
Player 5 gained $2
Player 1 played Anubis Statuette
Player 1 gained $2
Player 2 played Anubis Statuette
Player 2 gained $2
You visited American Civil War
You gained $2
You gained $0
You visited Feudal Japan
You drew Anubis Statuette
You drew Anubis Statuette
Player 4 visited Bureaucracy
Player 4 played Anubis Statuette
Player 4 gained $2
Player 4 visited Feudal Japan
Player 4 drew 2 cards
Player 5 visited Bureaucracy
Player 5 played Anubis Statuette
Player 5 gained $2
Player 5 visited Feudal Japan
Player 5 drew 2 cards
Player 1 visited Bureaucracy
Player 1 played Anubis Statuette
Player 1 gained $2
Player 1 visited Feudal Japan
Player 1 drew 2 cards
Player 2 visited Bureaucracy
Player 2 played Anubis Statuette
Player 2 gained $2
Player 2 visited Feudal Japan
Player 2 drew 2 cards

So there you go!

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 16, 2015, 08:07:00 am »
+2

I used Anubis Statuette to go to an unreal Information Age. I had 4 cubes in times 3 and 1. First it sent me to both Prohibition Era and Plutocracy, despite them both being unreal (and not Age of Discovery, which is correct as I already was there this turn). Then to Primitive Paradise, no problem there.

You visited Age of Discovery
You gained $2
You gained $2
You gained $4
You visited Information Age
You gained $2
You visited Prohibition Era
You played Secret Society
You gained $0
You gained $2
You gained $2
Player 1 gained $1
You visited Plutocracy
You gained $2
You played Kill Your Grandfather
You gained $5
You gained $2
You drew Infected Rat
You drew Barbarian Horde
You scored 1
You visited Primitive Paradise
You paid $16 to score Barbarian Horde
You scored 7
You drew Mayan Ritual Knife

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 16, 2015, 10:52:54 am »
+1

Ah...  when you play Anubis Statuette, in order to let you pick from all the zones, it changes all non-visited zones to "real" until after Anubis is done. I guess it needs to change the real ones back sooner than it is. I'd tested using Information Age to play Anubis plenty, but not the other way around.

Fixed now.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 11:00:47 am by GendoIkari »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 18, 2015, 04:42:41 am »
+2

The AI played Shogun's Katana in Industrial Revolution, and ended up with "Gain $2 per time you rule" on its list of perpetual abilities.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 18, 2015, 10:26:19 am »
+1

The AI played Shogun's Katana in Industrial Revolution, and ended up with "Gain $2 per time you rule" on its list of perpetual abilities.

Oops. For the AI only, Industrial Revolution was moving the card to in-play instead of moving it to in-hand. Should be fixed now, though the AI always chooses to return to hand, even if it's blue and would be smarter to keep in in play. Will hopefully have time soon to implement your smarter AI anyway.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 20, 2015, 03:37:22 pm »
+1

I am P2 in a 2 player game.  P1 is in Stone Age, with timeline pointed to Inquisition (also where I am).  P1 changes timeline to Egyptian America and visits Age of Discovery.  P1 plays Anubis Statuette and then visits Inquisition, causing me to lose $2.  But at the end, P1 is still in Inquisition despite it being unreal.

Edit: this might just be a display bug.  P1's star shifted to Egyptian America right after I made my move (visiting Age of Discovery).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 03:38:36 pm by eHalcyon »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 20, 2015, 07:10:00 pm »
+1

I am P2 in a 2 player game.  P1 is in Stone Age, with timeline pointed to Inquisition (also where I am).  P1 changes timeline to Egyptian America and visits Age of Discovery.  P1 plays Anubis Statuette and then visits Inquisition, causing me to lose $2.  But at the end, P1 is still in Inquisition despite it being unreal.

Edit: this might just be a display bug.  P1's star shifted to Egyptian America right after I made my move (visiting Age of Discovery).

Thanks, fixed! And it wan't presentation only; he really was still in the unreal time until you took an action.

Found another bug that will be fixed later tonight... if the computer plays Investments in Industrial Revolution (while ruling there), the game will crash. If you play it; and choose to return it to hand, you will have the option of discarding Investments for the money at end of turn, but that option won't work.

*Edit* Investments / Industrial Revolution bug fixed now.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 01:36:04 am by GendoIkari »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 01, 2015, 09:38:48 pm »

Some sort of bug happened. 

Player 1 Turn 1
Player 1 visited Plutocracy
Player 1 gained $2
Player 1 played Secret Society
Player 1 gained $0

Player 2 Turn 1
You visited Plutocracy
You played Explorer
You gained $6
You scored 1

Player 1 Turn 2
Player 1 played Step on a Butterfly
Player 1 gained $12
Player 1 scored 1
History changes in all times

Player 2 Turn 2

The problem is that player 1 still has all of their crowns in Age I,even though they were supposed to have "scored 1" from Plutocracy.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 02, 2015, 09:41:54 am »

Some sort of bug happened. 

Player 1 Turn 1
Player 1 gained $2
Player 1 played Secret Society
Player 1 gained $0

Player 2 Turn 1
You visited Plutocracy
You played Explorer
You gained $6
You scored 1

Player 1 Turn 2
Player 1 played Step on a Butterfly
Player 1 gained $12
Player 1 scored 1
History changes in all times

Player 2 Turn 2

The problem is that player 1 still has all of their crowns in Age I,even though they were supposed to have "scored 1" from Plutocracy.

I assume the Primitive Paradise was in play, which was why he got $2 when visiting Plutocracy on turn 1?

Failed to reproduce on my first attempt; anything else noteworthy in play?

Player 1 Turn 1
Player 1 played Papal Tiara
Player 1 gained $4
Player 1 could not afford to score a card

Player 2 Turn 1
You visited Plutocracy
You played Secret Society
You gained $0

Player 1 Turn 2
Player 1 played Prime Real Estate
Player 1 gained $7
Player 1 scored 1

Player 2 Turn 2

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 02, 2015, 12:02:24 pm »

I've forgotten, sorry!  Inquisition, maybe?

It might also have to do with Step On A Butterfly.  Note that it is listed correctly in the log that he scored 1, even though it didn't actually happen on the track.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 24, 2015, 02:42:32 am »
+2

So I recently decided to try out Temporum by using your online implementation, and I found a bug: I'm playing a 3-player game and this happened:  (player 3 is a bot)
Player 3 visited Bureaucracy
Player 3 played Barbarian Horde
Player 3 gained $9
Player 3 discarded Friends in Old Places
Player 3 scored 1
Except all of Player 3's crowns were still on Time 1.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 24, 2015, 02:47:20 am »
+1

So I recently decided to try out Temporum by using your online implementation, and I found a bug: I'm playing a 3-player game and this happened:  (player 3 is a bot)
Player 3 gained $9
Player 3 scored 1

What's the bug?

Player 3 visits Bureaucracy, plays Barbarian Horde.  This gives him $9 and allows him to discard cards to advance crowns.  He discards 1 to advance 1.  The location of the crowns does not matter.

Edit: went to check it out, I see now.  You mean that even though the AI scored something, no crowns were advanced.  I am seeing this too.  It happened with Settlers.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 02:50:45 am by eHalcyon »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 28, 2015, 05:32:00 pm »

Player 3 gained $9
Player 3 scored 1

What's the bug?

Player 3 visits Bureaucracy, plays Barbarian Horde.  This gives him $9 and allows him to discard cards to advance crowns.  He discards 1 to advance 1.  The location of the crowns does not matter.

Edit: went to check it out, I see now.  You mean that even though the AI scored something, no crowns were advanced.  I am seeing this too.  It happened with Settlers.

Are you saying that with both Settlers and Barbarian Horde, when the AI plays it, he doesn't score anything?

Not seeing it:

Player 2 Turn 1
Player 2 visited Great Depression
Player 2 played Settlers
Player 2 gained $8
Player 2 scored 1
Player 1 lost $2
Player 2 lost $2

(Player 2 now has a single crown in Time II).

Could it be that the other player visited Bureaucracy right after, causing him to retreat the crown he'd scored?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 05:35:59 pm by GendoIkari »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 28, 2015, 05:49:03 pm »
+1

It showed up in the log, but it didn't actually advance.

Also, when I checked it out, it was with 2 players only, so Bureaucracy wouldn't have been a factor.

Edit: Just tried it again and it didn't happen.  Maybe it's a bug specific to Bureaucracy, e.g. AI visits the location, ends up with more than $12 and is forced to retreat a crown even though it should only apply to other characters.  I don't remember if it was Bureaucracy when I reproduced the issue before, but it could have been such a coincidence.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 05:59:24 pm by eHalcyon »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 28, 2015, 07:11:32 pm »

Well I checked and Bureaucracy correctly only hurts other players, not the player who played there. Will keep checking; thanks for the input.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 28, 2015, 08:57:19 pm »

Wow, just got an incredibly lucky happening... while trying to reproduce AI playing Settlers at Bureaucracy, resulting in him having $12 or more... Very first turn of the very first game I tried:

Player 2 Turn 1
Player 2 visited Bureaucracy
Player 2 played Settlers
Player 2 gained $8
Player 2 scored 1

So he had $12 total, and he correctly has a single crown moved after. Think I'm gonna have to chalk this one up to random rare occurrence that can't be repeated for now. If it happens again, hopefully that will result in more data.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 29, 2015, 11:10:14 am »

Wow, just now realized that this is the same bug that you reported back in March, where it happened on Plutocracy. So it's not a Bureaucracy thing...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Page created in 0.946 seconds with 21 queries.