Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Play Temporum online, single-player against AI!  (Read 42548 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Play Temporum online, single-player against AI!
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2015, 07:38:22 pm »

Does the log not show if the AI changed history? That would be nice to see.

Also, amazing. A+, even at this early stage.

Thanks! I'll add that to the log right now. I know there's a few other things that should be logged that aren't; so lemme know if any stand out.

Does it currently log when extra crowns are scored (from various locations, powers or cards)?

It does not. That would be a good thing to add.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2015, 07:42:57 pm »

Does the log not show if the AI changed history? That would be nice to see.

Also, amazing. A+, even at this early stage.

Thanks! I'll add that to the log right now. I know there's a few other things that should be logged that aren't; so lemme know if any stand out.

Does it currently log when extra crowns are scored (from various locations, powers or cards)?

It does not. That would be a good thing to add.

It might also be good to log whenever you pay a cost.  You log some money losses (e.g. from Great Depression) but not others (most notably from scoring).

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2015, 11:30:53 pm »
+4

Ok... Warm Globe is added! Pretty sure it works right.

Logging updated; payments and scores are now shown. Other things moved to past tense because some things were already past tense, and past tense is easier to do than present tense because you don't have different conjugation for 2nd vs 3rd person.

Diseased Rats and Plague code updated to match the new "each player does something" code that Warm Globe needed. This means that discarding now happens in the correct order now.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2015, 11:47:30 pm »
+3

Huh. I just played a Trinket, and then played a Gang of Pickpockets. Then I drew a card from the Gang of Pickpockets from playing the Trinket. I think that behavior is correct, since playing the Pickpockets was part of resolving Trinket. It surprised me, though.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2015, 12:01:03 am »

Huh. I just played a Trinket, and then played a Gang of Pickpockets. Then I drew a card from the Gang of Pickpockets from playing the Trinket. I think that behavior is correct, since playing the Pickpockets was part of resolving Trinket. It surprised me, though.

Hmmm... I'm guessing that's not correct actually; but I could see it either way. That's a question for Donald. I mean, I told you earlier that I had to do some special handling for Gang of Pickpockets, because of the whole "after you resolve that card" bit... the problem is, by the time you're done resolving that card, the game has no memory of which card it was that you just finished resolving... so now GoP is in play, so how does it know to not draw for itself? It just knows a card just finished resolving, it doesn't know which card. In real life there's no issue because you only need to remember which card you just finished playing for about 1 second. But for the program, that 1 second may as well be several turns later, it doesn't know or care.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2015, 12:50:05 am »
+1

Inquisition done.

Added a setting to slow down AI turns so you can see what's happening each turn. Hard to set the default, because it really depends on the number of players; for 2 player you probably want 0, but otherwise about 1-2 seems to be good.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2015, 01:53:47 am »
+1

Alien Contact done!

I updated the UI so that when you are selecting a card to score, it reflects bonuses that you have from Friends in Old Places and Conspiracy. If the normal scoring values have been altered, they will turn red to make note of that.

Also added a "new game" button when the game ends. Yes, all it does is refresh the page.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2015, 01:53:57 am »
+4

Hmmm... I'm guessing that's not correct actually; but I could see it either way. That's a question for Donald. I mean, I told you earlier that I had to do some special handling for Gang of Pickpockets, because of the whole "after you resolve that card" bit... the problem is, by the time you're done resolving that card, the game has no memory of which card it was that you just finished resolving... so now GoP is in play, so how does it know to not draw for itself? It just knows a card just finished resolving, it doesn't know which card. In real life there's no issue because you only need to remember which card you just finished playing for about 1 second. But for the program, that 1 second may as well be several turns later, it doesn't know or care.
You draw a card for Trinket. Gang of Pickpockets triggers after resolving Trinket, and at that point you have a Gang of Pickpockets.

It could be that it triggered on playing a card, setting up a delayed effect that happens afterwards, but that seems like a more convoluted interpretation.

Usually I like this kind of thing to trigger for itself, because it's simpler; the two main reasons I don't do that, when I don't, are power level, and consistency within the game. Gang of Pickpockets should say something like "Each time you play a card other than this one;" I've seen someone think the ability only worked once ever. It's clear in the rulebook anyway.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2015, 02:30:33 am »
+1

You draw a card for Trinket. Gang of Pickpockets triggers after resolving Trinket, and at that point you have a Gang of Pickpockets.

It could be that it triggered on playing a card, setting up a delayed effect that happens afterwards, but that seems like a more convoluted interpretation.

Usually I like this kind of thing to trigger for itself, because it's simpler; the two main reasons I don't do that, when I don't, are power level, and consistency within the game. Gang of Pickpockets should say something like "Each time you play a card other than this one;" I've seen someone think the ability only worked once ever. It's clear in the rulebook anyway.

Well cool, I programmed it right by accident even though I thought differently. I definitely thought it was the delayed trigger thing.

And related to exactly when cards are done being played, how exactly does Industrial Revolution work? Does the card ever go to the discard pile? By my reading of things, you first play the card completely, including putting it in the discard. Then you check to see if you rule, and if you do, you take it out of the discard into your hand. Of course, in real life the card will never physically make it to the discard to save time.

But if this is right, this causes problems. What if you have Gang of Pickpockets in play, and the draw deck is empty? The played card should be in the discard pile when GoP makes you shuffle to draw, shouldn't it? So then how do you get the card back in hand? This seems like the exact type of situation for which Dominion created the Lose Track rule. How does Industrial Revolution avoid "lose track"?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 02:32:46 am by GendoIkari »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2015, 03:25:11 am »
+1

And related to exactly when cards are done being played, how exactly does Industrial Revolution work? Does the card ever go to the discard pile? By my reading of things, you first play the card completely, including putting it in the discard. Then you check to see if you rule, and if you do, you take it out of the discard into your hand. Of course, in real life the card will never physically make it to the discard to save time.

But if this is right, this causes problems. What if you have Gang of Pickpockets in play, and the draw deck is empty? The played card should be in the discard pile when GoP makes you shuffle to draw, shouldn't it? So then how do you get the card back in hand? This seems like the exact type of situation for which Dominion created the Lose Track rule. How does Industrial Revolution avoid "lose track"?
Obv. you mean momentary cards; there's no issue here for perpetual cards.

Since Industrial Revolution doesn't have an ultra-confusing "instead" wording, yes, the card is put into the discard pile and then Industrial Revolution fetches it out. In practice the deck is unlikely to empty, ever, even with 5 players, let alone to be empty at the precise moment it matters here, though the players could obv. arrange for it to happen. Gang of Pickpockets would resolve first and Industrial Revolution would fail. The players who emptied the deck would be unlikely to play it that way, which is fine by me, that isn't spoiling the game for them. The intention was that Industrial Revolution was "instead," but again that kind of thing confuses people, so it's not great to do it to cover an exotic situation, and in this case it's extra messy since cards by default go to one of two places. I did cheat wording-wise with Nomad Camp, but I can't here, the rulebook specifically says to finish resolving the card, which includes putting it into the discard pile or into play.

If you Trinket a card in Industrial Revolution, you can get back the Trinket even though another card would be covering it up in the discard pile. The rulebook doesn't even address looking through the discard pile; in practice I allow it as long as someone isn't being a nuisance.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2015, 03:27:15 am »

Inquisition done.
It locks up when I'm supposed to get to pick what to lose; it happened, I started a new game with Inquisition, it happened again.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2015, 03:33:13 am »
+1

The other card would cover up trinket? Doesn't trinket go in the discard after its done everything, which would include playing the other card, thus putting trinket in the discard on top?

Will fix Inquisition tomorrow.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2015, 04:01:47 am »

The other card would cover up trinket? Doesn't trinket go in the discard after its done everything, which would include playing the other card, thus putting trinket in the discard on top?
Oh right, nm.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2015, 04:28:40 am »
+1

I updated the UI so that when you are selecting a card to score, it reflects bonuses that you have from Friends in Old Places and Conspiracy. If the normal scoring values have been altered, they will turn red to make note of that.

I had the power that makes cards cost $2 less to score (Friends in Old Places, I think?).  When I go to score, it accurately reflected the adjusted cost but the text was not highlighted in red.

However, the text is red when scoring with Time of Legends.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2015, 11:04:22 am »
+1

I had the power that makes cards cost $2 less to score (Friends in Old Places, I think?).  When I go to score, it accurately reflected the adjusted cost but the text was not highlighted in red.

However, the text is red when scoring with Time of Legends.

Thanks, fixed. Inquisition is also fixed.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2015, 11:19:20 am »
+1

The money gained from Prime Real Estate doesn't show up in the logs - that would def. be nice to have.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2015, 11:53:33 am »

The money gained from Prime Real Estate doesn't show up in the logs - that would def. be nice to have.

Done, thanks. One thing I'd like to add soon is to tell you WHY you gained money instead of just "you gained $2". Especially for Zones that have you gain money after you play a card; it can be confusing.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2015, 01:07:10 pm »
+1

Typo on Barbarian Horde: "Advance on of your..."

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2015, 01:26:52 pm »

Thanks!

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2015, 04:43:08 pm »

I think Iron Age is buggy, it was giving me a $2 bonus on cost of scoring cards even when I ruled no zones. (Maybe it was considering empty Age IV as a tied ruling?) Maybe I misunderstand how Iron Age works though.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2015, 04:52:05 pm »

I think Iron Age is buggy, it was giving me a $2 bonus on cost of scoring cards even when I ruled no zones. (Maybe it was considering empty Age IV as a tied ruling?) Maybe I misunderstand how Iron Age works though.

I haven't noticed it behaving incorrectly.  How many players did you have?  Did you have Friends in Old Places in play?

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2015, 04:57:31 pm »

I was playing with 4 or 5 players I think. Also, if I do rule in multiple places (say 3) and I score a card that costs $4 to score, it says that I have to pay $-2, and I think it gave me money for scoring.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2015, 04:58:23 pm »

I did not have friends in old places out.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2015, 04:59:29 pm »

How many players? Top 2 rule Zones in 4 and 5 player games.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2015, 05:02:02 pm »
+1

I was playing with 4 or 5 players I think. Also, if I do rule in multiple places (say 3) and I score a card that costs $4 to score, it says that I have to pay $-2, and I think it gave me money for scoring.

I'm pretty sure that with 4 or 5 players, each time is ruled by two players (edit: ninja'd).  I just tested Iron Age with only 2 players and it behaves as expected.

I don't think there's a way to get money by scoring... though there's a power that lets you draw a card when you score, and another that gives you money when you draw a card.

Edit: Oh, I get it.  You ruled 3 zones so you got a discount of -$6, which reduced it to -$2 and might have given you money.  I just got the opportunity to try this, and I confirm -- I gained $2 from it.  Presumably Iron Age should not give you money, but Donald will have to confirm.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 05:09:15 pm by eHalcyon »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.