Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Kingdom Design: Fun with Library and Moneylender...  (Read 2549 times)

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
Kingdom Design: Fun with Library and Moneylender...
« on: January 14, 2015, 03:18:42 pm »
+2

So flies and I played this game in which we both tried a library engine with Upgrades, me using Graverobber as the main payload and him running money with a little GR help.  Afterwards we got to talking about making the Library engine a little better, and also letting Moneylender shine a little more, and wound up with this kingdom:

Code: [Select]
Oasis, Mining Village, Moneylender, Sea Hag, Trader, Worker's Village, Graverobber, Library, Market, Upgrade
Thoughts?  Would you have fun playing it?  Suggest any other cards to work in? 
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
Re: Kingdom Design: Fun with Library and Moneylender...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 04:21:14 pm »
+1

I'd ditch Sea Hag and Trader because getting either of those at any point in a mirror is awful, so why not add something more flavourful or at least something that won't get completely ignored.

You could go for relatively neutral cards that just add a bit to the board (if you added Chancellor, say, I'd open Chancellor/Moneylender), or add combinations of cards that would pull the game in a different direction without ruining the basic premise. I think even strong ones like Mountebank+Rats or Swindler+University (and of course BM+X, where BM doesn't stand for Big Money ;)) could make for interesting variations on the given theme.

Cool board overall!

theblankman

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 05:56:44 pm »

I definitely considered Black Market for the ability to play treasures mid-turn.  I also ran some test games with Menagerie as another draw card, but that seems to make Library not even worth it.  I'm curious why you'd open Chancellor... it doesn't seem that strong here to me? 

Also just thought of this but haven't tried it yet... what about replacing Hag and Trader with Procession and something else?  Probably another 3-cost since there are several 4s and 5s already, maybe Chancellor fits there?

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 07:38:07 pm »
+1

With both Worker's Village and Mining Village, you have lots of actions, so Chancellor being terminal doesn't hurt too badly. I'm not sure if I'd open it with Moneylender, I prefer ML/Silver because I really don't like missing $5 turn 3/4 on this board, but it's definitely fine. Maybe the benefit of turn 3 Chancellor + 3 Copper to get an Upgrade in faster is worth the risk.

Once you get going, it's a disappearing action that give you money for Library. You shouldn't be too starved of actions with both Worker's and Mining as +Action sources, can always Upgrade/Graverobber/skip with Library if you have to.

Bishop might be a fun replacement for Trader - the VP is clearly nice to have in the endgame, but when do you pick it up? Pick it up too early and your opponent uses it to help their Libraries...
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

theblankman

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 12:28:50 am »

Ooh I kind of like Bishop.  With all the available actions you could even consider a payload of a few Bishops and Graverobbers to regain the trashed card (probably a Gold), and look to get all your points on chips instead of letting green cards into the deck... I'm not sure if you can beat a Province-based strategy that way but it might be interesting to try.

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 02:27:24 pm »

agree that bishop looks good - yet another payload.  I'm also liking how black market rewards you for having treasure in the deck.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 02:58:53 pm »

Adding Possession to a kingdom always makes it several times more fun.

theblankman

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 08:30:24 pm »

So I tried a few games with Bishop and Black Market in place of Hag and Trader.  It was fun but the BM deck can make a huge difference... if you pull a better draw card than Library that's pretty huge, and one game I pulled a Fortress and started upgrading bunches of free $5s.  I definitely like Bishop, and I suspect I might prefer Chancellor over Black Market but I'll have to try it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.