Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Pestilence  (Read 39952 times)

Vislor

• Bishop
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Pestilence
« Reply #125 on: April 10, 2015, 05:42:24 am »

No, because once you have revealed it, you put it back into your hand, and then you can reveal "another" one and there's no way to tell if or not it's the one you already revealed. It's going to look a bit suspicious at the point when you have revealed more copies of the card than you have cards in hand, though.

Ah, good point. Okay thanks! It's probably better like this then:

Witch Doctor $3 - ACTION REACTION

Draw until you have 6 cards in hand.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
When one of your cards is trashed you may discard this. If you do, discard one of your Plague tokens and draw a card.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 12:02:23 pm by Vislor »

Vislor

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 10, 2015, 07:05:23 am »

BTW, a general comment about this set is that it mixes better than it plays on its own. Plague tokens also lengthen the game considerably allowing longer term strategies to really come into their own which I quite like. A Pestilence heavy game plays for about 1.5 - 2 hrs rather than the usual 45 mins - 1 hr.

Oh, and the "Miracle cure" effect when someone else gains a disease is fun and makes for interesting strategic decisions!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 07:50:45 am by Vislor »

Vislor

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 14, 2015, 04:56:16 am »

OK, so it's back to being only when you buy Victory cards that the cost is increased by plague tokens.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 18, 2015, 10:07:55 am »
+1

Ok, I've been waiting almost 3 months for this day. Ratcatcher has now been revealed, and I really want to see what people say about this cantrip trashing discussion now.

When I first saw Ratcatcher, I didn't understand how it could exist. Cantrip trashing for $2. Ok, so of course the reserve makes it a little different from the hypothetical card discussed here. Being a reserve means 2 drawbacks. It will miss the shuffle more often, like a Duration. And, you get the benefit at least 1 turn later than normal. Though that only matters if you reshuffle during that turn. Oh, also since it only works at start of turn, you can't rely on drawing the cards you want to trash during your turn. But on the other side, it has things that make it better than normal cantrip trasher; mainly that it never becomes a dead card or a risk to play.  And you never have trouble lining it up with your junk.

Anyway, it was said here that cantrip trasher is far stronger than cantrip coin, and that it cannot cost less than $4. I would have agreed, except I'd seen Ratcatcher. Now I don't know what to think. Should you open double Ratcatcher every time? Does it cost $2 because at $3 it would be unfair to someone who opens 5/2, like Chapel? Is Hospital balanced because Ratcatcher exists?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 10:10:57 am by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 18, 2015, 10:42:08 am »

Ok, I've been waiting almost 3 months for this day. Ratcatcher has now been revealed, and I really want to see what people say about this cantrip trashing discussion now.

When I first saw Ratcatcher, I didn't understand how it could exist. Cantrip trashing for $2. Ok, so of course the reserve makes it a little different from the hypothetical card discussed here. Being a reserve means 2 drawbacks. It will miss the shuffle more often, like a Duration. And, you get the benefit at least 1 turn later than normal. Though that only matters if you reshuffle during that turn. Oh, also since it only works at start of turn, you can't rely on drawing the cards you want to trash during your turn. But on the other side, it has things that make it better than normal cantrip trasher; mainly that it never becomes a dead card or a risk to play.  And you never have trouble lining it up with your junk.

Anyway, it was said here that cantrip trasher is far stronger than cantrip coin, and that it cannot cost less than $4. I would have agreed, except I'd seen Ratcatcher. Now I don't know what to think. Should you open double Ratcatcher every time? Does it cost $2 because at $3 it would be unfair to someone who opens 5/2, like Chapel? Is Hospital balanced because Ratcatcher exists?

I think the extra turn makes a significant difference, and that it actually will miss the reshuffle often.   You'll be getting it early, when shuffles are short, and its trashing keeps it that way.  I also think double Ratcatcher could totally be a thing.  Will have to think about it more, but it hasn't changed my opinion on a pure cantrip trasher yet.

Vislor

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 20, 2015, 05:03:41 am »

I've not seen Ratcatcher yet but have playtested Hospital quite a bit. It is good at $5 because it is not only village trasher but the removal of plague makes it a double benefit. It does however get interesting later in the game when you have to trash better cards to remove any extra plague you may have been given by some other means. Of course if you have no plague it is just a village, but they cost 3 on their own anyway, so yes, I think $5 is a good cost for the hospital card.

Vislor

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 20, 2015, 05:30:41 am »

I have actually been rethinking Hospital a bit now because of how it turns plague into being something too good (well, early game in particular). Maybe it should be like this:

Hospital $4+ - ACTION

+1 Card. +2 Actions. Discard one of your plague tokens.

Vislor

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 21, 2015, 07:18:01 am »

Am now thinking about this for Hospital as it may still have been too good and favours the 5/2 split.

Hospital $4 - ACTION

+1 Card. +2 Actions. You may discard a plague token. If you don't, trash a card from your hand.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 21, 2015, 12:53:16 pm »

Am now thinking about this for Hospital as it may still have been too good and favours the 5/2 split.

Hospital $4 - ACTION

+1 Card. +2 Actions. You may discard a plague token. If you don't, trash a card from your hand.

This card is stronger than the overpay version.  It's just the unlimited trasher again. The overpay one sounds fine, actually.

Edit: auto-correct typo
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 07:41:07 pm by eHalcyon »

Vislor

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 16, 2017, 07:38:38 am »

Am in the process of revisiting this set and just came up with a new card:

Dirty Silver $4 - TREASURE DURATION

$2 now and next turn. While this is in play another player may steal it from you during their buy phase. If they do they gain a plague token.

It is totally untested so far! As far as stealing goes my first instinct is that it would be better seen as a gain to the discard pile rather than to be put straight into the player's hand. Any feedback appreciated, I have a feeling it is going to need some changes! Would a treasure duration even work?!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Page created in 0.874 seconds with 21 queries.