Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13  All

Author Topic: Rio Grande page for Dominion: Adventures is live  (Read 117080 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
Re: Rio Grande page for Dominion: Adventures is live
« Reply #125 on: February 12, 2015, 06:37:46 pm »

I'll use the Thimble or Moneybag.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 12, 2015, 06:41:00 pm »
+2

I'll just take all the green tokens, thank you. What do you mean they're not worth VP?

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #127 on: February 12, 2015, 10:58:21 pm »
+1

If MF does the "standard" thing and decides that P1 is always blue and P2 is always red and blah blah blah, I might try and just play all of my games as second player. I'm one of those guys in the gaming group that always plays red, and if someone else gets red: 1. they're just doing it to troll me and 2. I'm super-confused the whole game and red usually ends up winning.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 12, 2015, 11:01:51 pm »
+3

If MF does the "standard" thing and decides that P1 is always blue and P2 is always red and blah blah blah, I might try and just play all of my games as second player. I'm one of those guys in the gaming group that always plays red, and if someone else gets red: 1. they're just doing it to troll me and 2. I'm super-confused the whole game and red usually ends up winning.

And then everyone will call being player two the Horton Advantage.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 12, 2015, 11:07:48 pm »

Totally besides the point, but somehow not: I always like to play achromatic colors. Black or white, but preferredly grey. Is that weird?

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #130 on: February 12, 2015, 11:32:45 pm »
+8

Totally besides the point, but somehow not: I always like to play achromatic colors. Black or white, but preferredly grey. Is that weird?
At least you have Fifty Shades to choose from.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 12, 2015, 11:44:36 pm »

I tried to find an original answer to this, but sadly "As long as one of them is 'Dorian'." doesn't work.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 09:11:43 am by Asper »

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #132 on: February 12, 2015, 11:51:15 pm »
+1

I tried to find an original answer to this, buz sadly "As long as one of them is 'Dorian'." doesn't work.
Behind every exquisite thing that existed, there was something tragic.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 13, 2015, 12:07:53 am »

I tried to find an original answer to this, buz sadly "As long as one of them is 'Dorian'." doesn't work.

Those who find ugly meanings in beautiful things are corrupt without being charming. This is a fault. Those who find beautiful meanings in beautiful things are the cultivated. For these there is hope. They are the elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 12:09:07 am by Seprix »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 13, 2015, 12:14:16 am »

I've never understood this.  My favorite color is purple, and I try to play as it in games if possible, but I never get "confused" if someone else takes it first.  Seriously, it's not that hard to just remember the color you were handed.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #135 on: February 13, 2015, 12:23:05 am »
+4

I've never understood this.  My favorite color is purple, and I try to play as it in games if possible, but I never get "confused" if someone else takes it first.  Seriously, it's not that hard to just remember the color you were handed.
Remember this is the guy that needs to make his own shuffle luck in order to play. I'd expect his other habits to be just as strange.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 13, 2015, 01:02:09 am »
+2

Those who find ugly meanings in beautiful things are corrupt without being charming. This is a fault. Those who find beautiful meanings in beautiful things are the cultivated. For these there is hope. They are the elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty.
I seen every blue-eyed floozy on the way
But their beauty and their style
Went kind of smooth after a while

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #137 on: February 13, 2015, 05:50:32 am »
+2

I've played a game of Carcassonne where someone destroyed his own most important meeple with the dragon. He was all smug about it too.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 08:13:10 am by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 13, 2015, 07:05:56 am »
+2

More expansion info!

Quote from: Donald X at BGG
I also see that Adventures will have tokens of some sort. Will these be a new design, or more of one of the existing kinds of tokens? Do you know how many will be included?

There are 60, 10 per player color, and they are chits.
This gives a jumping point for more speculation. It seems to me that the only good reason to have different colours for the tokens is that they have an owning player and get mixed up in some common area. Current Dominion tokens either have an owning player or get put in a common area, but not both at the same time.

My first thought is that it might be a mechanic vaguely similar to Temporum's Primitive Paradise, triggered by the presence of a certain card in the kingdom, like how Trade Route and Baker have setup rules involving tokens. Each kingdom pile could start with a token for each player, and the first time that player gains that card, they could remove the token, and maybe get some kind of bonus as a result, like say keeping the token for 1VP at game end, or powering up the card that put out the tokens (like with Pirate Ship). That would also explain why you want a mat to put them on.

The issue with that: Young Witch can make the kingdom have 11 kingdom cards. That makes putting in 11 tokens seem more friendly, since otherwise the wording+FAQ will need to be especially careful to handle the Young Witch case in an appropriate way. Although on the other hand, maybe only every kingdom pile _except_ the triggering card gets a token. So it's not impossible.

Another possibility is that players can play a one-shot to put a token of their colour on a supply pile, similar to Embargo. The token could trigger some penalty when another player tries to buy/gain the card, or better, a bonus when you do. This doesn't really explain what the mat is for though, so I'm not convinced. Also, Embargo came with 15 tokens, so this only having 10 would be strange.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #139 on: February 13, 2015, 07:24:50 am »

Another possibility is that players can play a one-shot to put a token of their colour on a supply pile, similar to Embargo. The token could trigger some penalty when another player tries to buy/gain the card, or better, a bonus when you do. This doesn't really explain what the mat is for though, so I'm not convinced. Also, Embargo came with 15 tokens, so this only having 10 would be strange.

Not necessarily. Everyone uses the same Embargo tokens, so maybe they assumed that it wouldn't be a single player who Throne Rooms all of the new one-shot cards.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 13, 2015, 07:27:47 am »
+1

I've played a game of Carcassonne where someone destroyed his own most important meeple with the dragon.
I'm always green, but I don't know if I would be confused if someone else were green, because I'm always green. In dominion I sometimes forget whose deck is whose and accidentally make my own deck an engine that doesn't work instead of my opponents. Now that I can be green all the time again I'm sure I will be a much better dominion player.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 13, 2015, 09:38:23 am »

I seen every blue-eyed floozy on the way
But their beauty and their style
Went kind of smooth after a while

Sick crossover.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #142 on: February 13, 2015, 11:22:58 am »
+2

Yes it is.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 13, 2015, 12:16:12 pm »

I'm surprised you didn't paint the saxophone red.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #144 on: February 13, 2015, 12:17:36 pm »

I'm surprised you didn't paint the saxophone red.

Have you seen red saxophones? They're hideous. Plus, after that practice, every part of the sax that I touched was red anyways.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 13, 2015, 12:20:41 pm »
+2

I played Saxophone in high school.  After I got a real one, I took my old (cheap) one and painted it blue, just for fun.  It looked kind of cool, though there were a couple of rods that I couldn't get back in place. 

I learned that taking apart and putting back together a saxophone is not that easy.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #146 on: February 13, 2015, 01:04:46 pm »
+2

I learned that taking apart and putting back together a saxophone is not that easy.

How many extra parts you had left after you had finished putting it back together?

ThaddeusB

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 13, 2015, 01:10:17 pm »
+2

The fact that the new mats are Seaside sized suggests they are for putting cards on, especially considering Donald guessed they would be that size (presumably based on mechanics) - if they were for the new tokens they would probably be Prosperity sized.

As to the tokens, the fact they are color coded suggests they go in the common area, which at current would mean on supply piles. My guess is they modify the effects of a given card, but only for the token placer. It will probably.rewrote the play of a one-off card to place a token, so I would think the effects would have to be pretty strong to justify the delay (of course something as simply as +1 action can be extremely powerful on the right card.)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 13, 2015, 01:28:29 pm »

How many extra parts you had left after you had finished putting it back together?

Like, 3-5.  There was one key (or maybe it was a piece that held a couple keys) that I couldn't find the right way to put back on (i.e., to have the spring or whatever keep it out and be able to close it correctly when pressing. 

But, I never used the old saxophone, so it really wasn't an issue.  I had thoughts to march with it for marching band (I didn't want to march with the expensive sax, and our school colors were blue), but I stopped band early so that I could graduate early, and I ended up marching with Tenor instead of Alto because we were short there.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 13, 2015, 01:48:25 pm »
+2

Posted in a fan cards thread yesterday:

This is the 9th addition to the game of Dominion. It has 400 cards, 6 mats, and 60 tokens. There are 30 new Kingdom cards, including the return of Duration cards that do things on future turns, plus Reserve cards that can be saved for the right moment. There are also 20 Event cards that give you something to buy besides cards, including tokens that modify cards.

My thought is mainly about that last line -- tokens that modify cards, which are things you can buy via events.  I figured that there would be a common supply of tokens which would modify cards for all players, but the recent reveal that there are player colours makes it even more compelling.

I don't know how Events will be incorporated.  Maybe they will just be things chosen at the start of the game, as you described in the OP.  Maybe there will be specific cards that trigger events. 

Anyway, I figure there will be an event that lets players buy "Progress Tokens" (arbitrary name here).  You put the token on a card in the supply (maybe restricted to action cards, maybe not).  Copies of cards have the bonuses associated with tokens on their supply pile.  I suppose they should only last while the card is still in the supply, but maybe you could keep the effects and trust that people can remember, or you could use the randomizers maybe.

In my original idea, I also figured that the cost of the cards should increase by $1 for each token on them.  But with player colours, it's simpler.  You pay the upfront cost for the token and the benefit is only for you.  If it's only a blue token on the card, only the blue player gets that bonus.

There are 10 tokens for each player.  So what could the effects be?  The vanilla bonuses are 4 obvious ones.  Another obvious one is a token that makes each copy of the card worth 1VP more.  You could also have a simple cost reduction token.  An interesting bonus would be a cost increase, which is only a bonus in combination with TfB (or Border Village).  Maybe a token could add "trash a card" as an effect.  Maybe a token could transform a card into a Reserve card, whatever that means.  A token could make the card untrashable like Fortress.  Or a token could give a card the Moat reaction.  There are many possibilities, though they should be kept simple.

For clarity -- the effects of tokens on a card should be resolved before you resolve the actual card text, for the tokens that give it bonuses on play.  This is just to make it easier to track things (think tokens on KC).

These token shenanigans need not be restricted to event cards.  For example, here's one idea:

Circus
$4 - Action
Swap one of your Progress tokens on a Supply pile with another from your reserve.

Setup: Each player randomly places 3 of their Progress tokens on the Circus Supply pile.

Clarifications:
- Need better wording; "reserve" isn't great here because it could be confused with the Reserve mechanic, whatever it is.
- You would get the current Circus bonuses before having to swap a Progress token.  The swap is mandatory, and it could indeed change Circus does between plays.
- As currently written, the setup means each player's Circus could be different.  The rule could be changed so that all players start with the same 3 tokens on the card though.

Anyway, that's my idea.  As a quick addendum, I figure that Reserve cards will be pretty simple.  I figure they'll be like long-lasting Durations that trigger when you want them to trigger.  That is, when you play a Reserve card, it goes directly to your Reserve mat.  You can play a card from your Reserve mat for free at any time during your turn (other than in the middle of resolving another action, of course).  Maybe some of them will have an effect when you first play them, and maybe some will have a while-in-reserve effect that could be good or bad.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13  All

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 21 queries.