Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13  All

Author Topic: Rio Grande page for Dominion: Adventures is live  (Read 117074 times)

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
Re: Rio Grande page for Dominion: Adventures is live
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2015, 06:10:31 pm »
+18

So is the mat just an Event mat?
The paragraph can't hear you - it's just text on a website. It just says 6 mats, that's all there is to go on. I guess one day we'll know what they are.

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2015, 06:13:28 pm »
+4

Also, for Dark Ages and Guilds, release ended up being a month after revealing box art and description.  Does this mean we're looking at a February/March release?
Not February. The initial earliest projected date was March. It's printed in the US now (and printed in Europe for European versions), so shipping won't be a random holdup. It may easily fail to make March though. It's on track, but April is a safer guess.

And if we're lucky, it might be playable on Goko by Christmas!!
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2015, 06:15:56 pm »
+11

It's printed in the US now (and printed in Europe for European versions), so shipping won't be a random holdup. It may easily fail to make March though. It's on track, but April is a safer guess.

To prevent anyone else falling into the sad misreading I just did: RGG now prints Dominion in the US. The quoted sentence does not mean, as I so sadly thought at first, that copies of Adventures are all already somehow printed.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2015, 06:16:52 pm »
+1

*cough* napkin *cough*

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2015, 06:17:14 pm »

So there are 20 events. Does this mean 20 of the 30 new kingdom cards are event cards, or is this separate? That is, 20 unique event cards referenced by some other cards. I'm guessing 20 separate unique cards. They give you something to buy besides cards? As in:

Event Card, Action, $2
+ 1 card
+ 1 action
You may spend any number of coins. If you do, add a +1 coin token to a supply pile costing that amount. When anyone plays a card from that pile it gives an additional coin per +1 coin token.

I don't think it's giving too much away to say: Events are themselves things you buy that are not cards. As in when you buy them, you do not gain them. As in the example in the blurb, you might instead be buying tokens that modify cards.

I'm guessing there's 1 of each Event card.  But there has to be some rule as to when you play with Events.  Do you put all of them in?  Do you always play with them?  Is it like the Colonies/Shelters rules for Prosperity/Dark Ages?

I'm guessing Reserve is a Kingdom card type.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2015, 06:54:29 pm »

So there are 20 events. Does this mean 20 of the 30 new kingdom cards are event cards, or is this separate? That is, 20 unique event cards referenced by some other cards. I'm guessing 20 separate unique cards. They give you something to buy besides cards? As in:

Event Card, Action, $2
+ 1 card
+ 1 action
You may spend any number of coins. If you do, add a +1 coin token to a supply pile costing that amount. When anyone plays a card from that pile it gives an additional coin per +1 coin token.

I don't think it's giving too much away to say: Events are themselves things you buy that are not cards. As in when you buy them, you do not gain them. As in the example in the blurb, you might instead be buying tokens that modify cards.

Uuuuhh, i wonder whether those will be staying advantages like those i speculated about. So excited.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2015, 06:56:51 pm »
+1

No, it's this:

Reserves Action Card - Cost: 3 Coin
+1 Action
Reveal the top card of your deck. Put it in your hand or discard it. If you discard it, +1 Card.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2015, 06:58:21 pm »
+2

No, it's this:

Reserves Action Card - Cost: 3 Coin
+1 Action
Reveal the top card of your deck. Put it in your hand or discard it. If you discard it, +1 Card.

Did you memorize that whole set?

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
Re: Rio Grande page for the new expansion is up
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2015, 07:48:40 pm »
+2

I don't get the florst vs. forth thing.

It wasn't supposed to be forth.  The joke is that 'florst' is the fifth direction, since usually the four directions are north, west, east, and south.  Now that I have explained the joke, it is much funnier.

Okay.. it's currently at 50% funny.. I still don't get why the word is "florst".
Because it's not          Moat        .
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2015, 07:54:03 pm »
+1

Awesome write-up, my favourite so far.

Event cards!  I was thinking that might be a thing, but I don't know if I actually posted it in the predictions thread.  Though perhaps the Event cards in this set will be different than our previous conception of Event cards.  LF's comment suggests this is the case.

Based on comments in the thread so far from people in the know, it sounds like Event cards are something you buy that let you do something immediately, but don't gain you a card.  So each of the 20 Event cards are actually separate Events.

How would you include them in the game?  I imagine that you could set it up like you do Colonies, or optionally choose to include them outright, if you so desire.  And if you use Events, maybe randomly choose 3 and that's it for the whole game?  Maybe once an Event is purchased, it is replaced by a new one from the stack?

There could be cards with set-up rules that make more Events available from the start.  Or maybe you can only purchase an Event if you play a certain card.  Maybe a card could provide you with a bigger selection of Events from the stack, Black Market-style.

As for what they could do... it's already been revealed in this thread that they might allow you to add modification tokens to cards (presumably to those in the Supply, which tells you how all copies of that card are modified).  Maybe an Event could immediately give you a bonus for that turn, like +2 Buy, or variable +coins (e.g. +$ equal to the number of Copper in play for a sort of Coppersmith effect).  There could be more situational powers, like immediately trashing a Supply pile (which could be game breaking if you can trigger the same Event multiple times in one turn).  Maybe an Event could swap out one Supply pile for another one.

Maybe some Events could change major rules in the game -- when you buy it, it turns on the rule change.  Maybe another player can buy it again to toggle it back off.  An Event that requires an additional empty pile for the game to end?  An Event that makes Estates worth more VP?  An Event that changes card costs while it is active?  An Event that disables Attacks, or one that disables Reactions?

Man, this is exciting.

As for Reserve cards, they sound like a new type similar to Durations, and maybe similar to LF's Activation cards.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 07:55:36 pm by eHalcyon »

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2015, 07:57:59 pm »

I doubt events are like shelters/colonies... my guess is that they're more like ruins/knights/black market. Some cards add the event pile in some form or another. I hope they aren't too swingy.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2015, 08:22:22 pm »
+6

Surprising as it may seem, some of the cards I'm most excited for from the meetup weren't new durations or ones using the new mechanics (though I'm excited for those too)
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2015, 08:37:23 pm »
+13

Surprising as it may seem, some of the cards I'm most excited for from the meetup weren't new durations or ones using the new mechanics (though I'm excited for those too)

Are you saying that there are exciting vanilla cards?

Monstrous Cow
$16 - Action
+10 Cards

Loyal Jungles
$16 - Action
+∞ Actions

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2015, 09:09:59 pm »
+3

Soooo... I'll just say that the reserve mechanic is super-hott and Donald came up with some really, really cool things to do with it. Events are just so much fun and I'm really happy that design space got explored.

Basically, I could probably squee about almost every card in this set. Except for Bacon Cheeseburger. You know.

I have prototype cards for all of this stuff and I'm so pumped that I'll probably have my copy before June.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2015, 09:30:41 pm »

This set sounds so amazing. I can't wait

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2015, 10:10:36 pm »
+6

Can someone who's played with the new cards at least answer the most important question of all:

Are any of them more powerful than Bureaucrat?
Is one of them an Ironic Tiller?
Is it Moat?
Is isotropic getting shut down?
Won't someone please think of the blue dogs?
How do they combo with Scout?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2015, 10:47:36 pm »
+3

The paragraph can't hear you - it's just text on a website. It just says 6 mats, that's all there is to go on. I guess one day we'll know what they are.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2015, 11:20:54 pm »

Events? Probably something like being able to do things. Like you get an extra $3 to spend but your opponents get an extra $1 to spend. This can be expanded to +actions, +buys, card draw, card draw scouting, coin token gaining, and some other mechanic that we don't know of yet. Perhaps setting a card aside as if it were a reserve, like Prince?

I feel like there might be a new curse variant. Something new that is bad like ruins maybe.

Reserve Cards. Ah. Nice. Native Village is kind of a pseudo reserve card. It'll probably be somewhat similar, except you can just hold onto it and use it. It uses up an action though, so that will be interesting for sure. What if the reserve card was only for 1 time? Then once you used it, you would use it as it were any other action card.

I feel like Reserves are the color of Green. But they could be Red.

Just some thoughts.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2015, 11:42:37 pm »
+8

...Events are just so much fun...

(not so) hidden bit of information: Events are not like Black Market CONFIRMED!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2015, 12:02:28 am »

To any playtesters (or Donald), would it be fair to say that the themes are timing and modification?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2015, 01:28:10 am »
+8

To any playtesters (or Donald), would it be fair to say that the themes are timing and modification?
There will be previews in the week leading up to the set coming out.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2015, 03:44:13 am »

That's good news, I always liked the previews doing one card per week or something like that.

I wasn't happy when Dark Ages (was it DA?) leaked.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2015, 03:54:00 am »
+1

This set is a beast

400 cards total, 30 kingdom cards (already second biggest set ever)
60 tokens (most tokens ever)
Plus, we are getting more Durations! Hell yah! Reserve cards  :) And, event cards  ;D

I am so excited!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2015, 08:19:30 am »
+1

That's good news, I always liked the previews doing one card per week or something like that.

I wasn't happy when Dark Ages (was it DA?) leaked.

Some DA cards got leaked to beta testers on Goko *after* the previews.  It was Hinterlands that had the cards leaked *during* the previews.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2015, 08:39:11 am »

Yeah, Hinterlands it was.

Anyway, I liked to have some time to discuss the new cards one by one and be totally wrong about them.
JoaT was one of the preview cards, how wrong we were...

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13  All

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 21 queries.