Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Discard for benefit  (Read 3541 times)

market squire

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +201
    • View Profile
Discard for benefit
« on: January 12, 2015, 06:55:22 am »
+5

Hi there!

I recognized that in Dominion there is an invisible currency: handsize.
The normal case is that you convert your handsize into $ by having Treasures or other cards providing +$.
Now, cards that let you "discard for benefit" do other things with your handsize. This means you discard a number of cards to get a reward - prior, after, or conditioned by the discarding.

Official examples of this concept are mostly Sifters (like Cellar or Embassy) and turning cards into $ (like Vault or Horse Traders). Man, I really like Hinterlands for having Sifting as core concept. Using a broader definition, we could include disappearing cards as well (like Workshop or Festival) - not sure whether those should belong here.
But all of these cards have in common to synergize well with Library (or Watchtower/ Jack), Tactician, and Minion.

Are there other things to turn handsize into? I highly appreciate your comments!

COURIER (Action – Reaction) P
+1 Card
+1 Action
Discard any number of cards. Gain a card costing exactly $1 per card discarded.

This (at cost $4) was my suggestion for the Hinterlands Treasure Chest Design Contest card. Meanwhile, I came up with tons of variants of Courier. I think the easiest fix is the Potion cost so that you can't gain other Couriers. Maybe a non-Victory clause would make sense for the Action?

BUTLER (Action) $3
Discard a card. Gain a card costing less than it.

Simplified version from the Queue pile thread where it got zero feedback. It is quite strong when you discard a Province, but Explorer rewards Provinces as well. Maybe it needs some vanilla addition or a cost tweak a la Border Village/ Peddler?

CASTLE GATE (Action) $5
+1 Action
Discard any number of cards. Draw until you have 5 cards in your hand.

A mix of Grand Cellar and Dungeon. It wants to be a new enabler in the Library/ Minion family.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: Discard for benefit
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 10:35:30 am »

Butler seems pretty weak except for in the cases where it gains Victory cards, where it's somewhat strong. Consider reducing the cost to $2.

market squire

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 01:42:15 pm »
+3

This is not my own idea, but it is so crazy that I'd like to know what you think about it:

BALLROOM (Action) $6
Discard all cards but one from your hand. For each card discarded, play the remaining card one time.

Can be used both on Actions and Treasures.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 04:06:00 pm »
+1

I realized with Courier you might want a non-victory clause because you can keep on drawing everything again and again (especially with Scrying Pool or something).
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

market squire

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 05:01:53 pm »

I realized with Courier you might want a non-victory clause because you can keep on drawing everything again and again (especially with Scrying Pool or something).

Hum, maybe it could even work at $4 like this (dropping the +1 Card)?

COURIER (Action - Reaction) $4
+1 Action
Discard any number of cards. Gain a card costing exactly $1 per card discarded that is not a Victory card.

When you would gain a card other than during your Buy phase, you may discard this from your hand. If you do, gain a card costing up to $2 more instead.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 07:33:41 pm »

I actually think dropping the action would be better.  It makes it nice because then you might be fine discarding terminals too, but it makes it harder to chain them.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

market squire

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 05:22:17 am »

I actually think dropping the action would be better.  It makes it nice because then you might be fine discarding terminals too, but it makes it harder to chain them.

The Action is just a fun thing, most times it is not worth much because you want to discard everything. You can't really chain them anyway if you don't want only cheap cards.
But maybe it would make sense without the Action as well.

+1 Card
Discard any number of cards. Gain a card costing exactly $1 per card discarded that is not a Victory card.

When you would gain a card other than during your Buy phase, you may discard this from your hand. If you do, gain a card costing up to $2 more instead.

Note that if you use Courier's Reaction on another Courier you played, you can still gain a Victory card!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 09:42:59 am »
+2

+1 Card

Note that if you use Courier's Reaction on another Courier you played, you can still gain a Victory card!

I read this as "discarded Victory cards don't count toward the total" instead of "you cannot gain a Victory card". It should say, "Gain a non-Victory card costing exactly $1 per card discarded."
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 09:44:13 am by LastFootnote »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 01:57:11 pm »
+1

+1 Card

I read this as "discarded Victory cards don't count toward the total" instead of "you cannot gain a Victory card". It should say, "Gain a non-Victory card costing exactly $1 per card discarded."

Both the original and your wording have the problem that you can read them as "For each discarded card, gain a non-victory card costing $1". May i suggest to use "Gain a non-victory card costing $X, where X is the number of discarded cards.".

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 05:07:14 pm »
+1

This is not my own idea, but it is so crazy that I'd like to know what you think about it:

BALLROOM (Action) $6
Discard all cards but one from your hand. For each card discarded, play the remaining card one time.

Can be used both on Actions and Treasures.

I think it is crazy enough to be worth testing, but I expect that there are going to be enough ridiculous broken combos that it'll have to be scrapped or heavily tweaked.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.585 seconds with 20 queries.