Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: My Escape  (Read 17380 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3228
    • View Profile
My Escape
« on: January 07, 2015, 06:32:35 pm »

A little bit less than a month ago, I discovered Prismata, and started playing that a lot. Since then, I've rapidly lost interest in dominion, and by now I honestly don't want to play it anymore. The problem is that I'm hyper competitive, and take tournaments very seriously. That was fine while I was in good shape, but now playing league matches is a nuisance, and playing in the world cup is truly horrible, because other people depend on me and I know that I'm doing much worse than I would have a month ago.

So, I'm out of the league. I'd probably demote anyway, and no-one benefits if I grind through the games against the rest of my group. As for the world cup... I don't know. Staying means probably losing almost every upcoming match, bad results for the german group, and a lot of frustration on my part; leaving means, well, leaving as a team leader, which sucks. I think it'd be best for everyone if RTT takes my position and assemble joins the main team. I could stay, but I would perform poorly, no matter how much I try.

Either way, I'm very sorry for this. I didn't see any of it coming.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
Re: My Escape
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 06:42:14 pm »

That's a real shame :( Hope you can exit the tournaments without shaking too much up.  I could feel this starting to happen to me too actually and have played prismata less since... because I don't want to lose interest in dominion.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 06:47:07 pm »
+7

I hope the people who drop out in the middle of a season like this for no other reason than they lost a couple matches are not allowed back in the league at any point. It's completely ridiculous.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 07:09:19 pm »
+2

Oh boy, and here I am, all out of popcorn.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 07:12:22 pm »
+2

This is cowardice in its purest and most despicable form.

If you're really as "competitive" as you rationalize yourself to be (being competitive isn't the same as really hating to lose), and you even have the slightest sense of honor, you'd repack yourself and give it your best to be an example to your team.

The first to jump ship in the face of adversity isn't a captain, it's a rat.

And please spare me the inevitable nonsense about how rude and inconsiderate I am, or of how hard this decision has been for you to make. I've captained a soccer team of aggressive 15-16yos and have had to endure occasions where I received literally hundreds of expletives directed at me personally over the course of 10 minutes. Giving up is always the easiest option in the world, and it always only serves to sooth your own ego.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 07:14:09 pm by SheCantSayNo »

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 07:28:52 pm »
+8

I hope the people who drop out in the middle of a season like this for no other reason than they lost a couple matches are not allowed back in the league at any point. It's completely ridiculous.

I do understand your sentiment here and I'm not happy with it either. I started worrying after his rather unsportsmanlike comments in our league match, then started really worrying after seeing his turn 3 resignation against you. Now I'm convinced silverspawn has a long long road to go learning to deal with his own perfectionism / sore losing.

I would like to be pissed at him, but I can't. I've been there myself and I know that although his current actions really hurt his surroundings (the league), he will still be mostly hurting himself. No need to add anything to that. The only thing I can do is try to minimize the damage inflicted on others. So yes silverspawn will be banned from the league. Bans are not indefinite, but it would require a lot more then just signing up again for him to return.

In the meanwhile, @Silverspawn: Best of luck and I hope you'll get to the bottom of whatever it is that is troubling you. Switching from Dominion to Prismata won't solve it though. Neither will quitting competitive play altogether.

Wishing him luck might sound strange to some. I don't blame others for being pissed at Silverspawn. In fact, it's probably healthy to let him know how much he's off track right now by just yelling at him. I just can't do it myself.
Join the Dominion League!

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 07:31:33 pm »

I am not mad at silverspawn, I just prefer to not have people who are willing to do this in the league. He should do whatever the heck he feels like doing. I just want his ability to be a nuisance in the future restricted.

Which is to say, I'm perfectly satisfied with Stef's response.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 07:33:27 pm by Mic Qsenoch »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 08:37:15 pm »

This is cowardice in its purest and most despicable form.

If you're really as "competitive" as you rationalize yourself to be (being competitive isn't the same as really hating to lose), and you even have the slightest sense of honor, you'd repack yourself and give it your best to be an example to your team.

The first to jump ship in the face of adversity isn't a captain, it's a rat.

And please spare me the inevitable nonsense about how rude and inconsiderate I am, or of how hard this decision has been for you to make. I've captained a soccer team of aggressive 15-16yos and have had to endure occasions where I received literally hundreds of expletives directed at me personally over the course of 10 minutes. Giving up is always the easiest option in the world, and it always only serves to sooth your own ego.

Maybe my post wasn't clear. I only decided to leave the league (because that's a clear decision), i didn't decide to leave the cup. I just explained why I think it would be best, but if people think it's absolutely bad sportsmanship, I can stay and play the remaining games. Really, it was meant to let others decide, because I wasn't sure how big of a problem people thought this was. Maybe you find that cowardly too, but that's what I wanted to do. And no, you're not being overly rude, you just stated your opinion.

man, I don't want to leave because I lost games against you. I want to leave because I will underperform if I don't. The games just have showed me that I'm incapable of playing well, the result isn't the point.

Look, just forget my interest completely. If you think it's better for the rest of my team if I stay, then I'll stay.

I clearly made a poor job explaining my position.

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 04:52:13 am »

I dont mind you quitting the cup. I want to play with a motivated team and have everyone play the best he can. I dont mind if someone looses but i watched the stream yesterday and was very sad about you playing sort of BM on any board and resigning pretty fast even if on one board (the ambassador one) the loose wasnt even sure.

I mean i played a game vs adam where i opened 5/2 on familiar board and opened Potion/- then gettin 2P on turn three and still winning the game. Sometimes games can be turned around.

I can take the Captain position again like last Year if the rest of the team is ok with it.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 08:08:12 am »

That's sad and disappointing news. I mean you can do whatever you want but I rather hope it's not because you lost high against Mic Q twice. Such things happen and you might play better soon. But if you lost interest in playing Dominion in general, it's better if you leave the World Cup and let Assemble Meme take your position because if you're not motivated you're not playing well automatically. Ask yourself what the real reasons are and decide then.

Psyduck

• Bishop
  • Respect: +135
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 02:11:27 pm »

This is my point of view as well.
Silverspawn, you really should pull your socks up. At least this is what I would do in such a situation. I don't believe that you lose your skill by playing a different game for some weeks. If you are concentrated, motivated and focused during your games, you will still play well. If you don't, it's because you didn't put yourself into a "competitive" mood. And that's your deliberate decision. Instead, you blame it on the circumstances.

I'm honestly disappointed.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 02:40:25 pm »

I don't believe that you lose your skill by playing a different game for some weeks.

This. I haven't really played MtG for like two years except for some random games and online tournaments maybe every two or three months, and whenever I play in a tourney, I don't really do any worse than I used to when I was active. The main difference between that and playing Prismata instead of Dominion is that whenever I happen to feel like playing MtG, I'm super motivated.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

theright555J

• Moneylender
  • Dragged into engines kicking and screaming!
  • Respect: +171
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 03:23:23 pm »
+1

I can relate to the frustration that silverspawn describes. Maybe it's just the vast number of combinations in Dominion, or the reality that the community as a whole is getting much better at the game, or simply variance, but the rate of decline in winrate, ISO level, and Goko pro rating can be striking at times. This makes it challenging to accurately gauge how you are doing at times, and then on top of that during a losing streak I tend to just play worse which exacerbates the mess.

You're a very good player silverspawn, I hope you have fun with whatever games you choose to play.
Wondering what my name refers to?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cribbage_statistics

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 03:28:05 pm »

This is my point of view as well.
Silverspawn, you really should pull your socks up. At least this is what I would do in such a situation. I don't believe that you lose your skill by playing a different game for some weeks. If you are concentrated, motivated and focused during your games, you will still play well. If you don't, it's because you didn't put yourself into a "competitive" mood. And that's your deliberate decision. Instead, you blame it on the circumstances.

I'm honestly disappointed.

I don't believe that you lose your skill by playing a different game for some weeks.

This. I haven't really played MtG for like two years except for some random games and online tournaments maybe every two or three months, and whenever I play in a tourney, I don't really do any worse than I used to when I was active. The main difference between that and playing Prismata instead of Dominion is that whenever I happen to feel like playing MtG, I'm super motivated.

I don't really know what to say about this, except that the fact that you doubt my sincerity genuinely hurts me.

That's sad and disappointing news. I mean you can do whatever you want but I rather hope it's not because you lost high against Mic Q twice. Such things happen and you might play better soon. But if you lost interest in playing Dominion in general, it's better if you leave the World Cup and let Assemble Meme take your position because if you're not motivated you're not playing well automatically. Ask yourself what the real reasons are and decide then.
I meant what I said: I hate playing the game, I'm incapable of playing it well, I'm willing to stay in the tournament anyway if you want me to, which I take it you don't.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 03:49:16 pm »

I don't really know what to say about this, except that the fact that you doubt my sincerity genuinely hurts me.

I don't doubt that you believe everything you said. However, it sounds like you're mistaking your problem for this:

• you don't want to play Dominion because you're bad at it
  • you're bad at Dominion because you haven't been playing it

which would be a difficult problem to solve, but in reality, the problem is this:

• you don't want to play Dominion because you're bad at it
  • you're bad at Dominion because you don't want to play it

You can solve this by starting to want to play Dominion.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

theright555J

• Moneylender
  • Dragged into engines kicking and screaming!
  • Respect: +171
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2015, 04:58:06 pm »
+2

I read the kickstarter page for Prismata...I can totally see how a Dominion player would get addicted to that and bored with Dominion. If Dominion is like heroin to a strategy player, Prismata appears to be methamphetamine!
Wondering what my name refers to?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cribbage_statistics

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2015, 05:05:53 pm »

Okay, look. I am perfectly aware that the problem is one of mindset, and I've never said anything else. I easily get frustrated, that's just how it is. It used to be like that even when I enjoyed dominion, but good moments totally made up for it.

Now, if I play dominion, it is nothing but frustration. I'm frustrated by terminal collision, I'm frustrated by first player advantage, I'm frustrated by my opponent taking a long time to think, I'm extremely frustrated by comebacks, I'm frustrated by hitting 7$, and so on and so forth.

Frustration causes me to be unable to track stuff properly, which is always the first sign for bad play on my part. If I'm in a good mindset, I will usually know what the VP difference is, how many villages/terminals I have, and some specific things about the game, like how many junk cards I have left. If I lose track of that stuff, I already failed and playing my best game, and it instantly causes me to make hasty decisions. I am powerless against this effect, even if I see it coming.

The reason for this is that I now play another game. And because I play that game so much and like almost every aspect about it, I also think about it constantly. Playing dominion just feels silly and like a distraction and a waste of time, and I even catch myself thinking about aspects of Prismata as though they were part of dominion before I realize what I'm doing.

Obviously, all of these are personal issues and not related to the game itself, which I still respect as being very good, but it doesn't matter. This is not something I can overcome, I did try my best in the last two tournament games that I played, and I made a big effort to stay nice and not let any of my frustration show. It's fine that you ask about this, but I think you could have phrased it as a question rather than as "I think you're wrong about this, here is why", when you really don't know me anywhere near as good as I do. But whatever. At least you weren't being rude about it.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2015, 05:17:15 pm »
+8

Wait, is there money on the line ? People need to take it down a notch, namecalling because some guy quits a league ? I understand that's annoying but I'm a little shocked by the virulence of some of the responses (SCN's particularly).
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2015, 05:20:38 pm »

It's fine that you ask about this, but I think you could have phrased it as a question rather than as "I think you're wrong about this, here is why", when you really don't know me anywhere near as good as I do. But whatever. At least you weren't being rude about it.

I assumed that you would have just said that you don't want to play Dominion anymore instead of a long explanation like that if you basically just wanted to say that you don't want to play Dominion anymore.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 05:33:31 pm »
+1

I assumed that you would have just said that you don't want to play Dominion anymore instead of a long explanation like that if you basically just wanted to say that you don't want to play Dominion anymore.

Well, it obviously goes beyond not wanting to play it anymore, if that was all I would just do it anyway. I felt like several people in this thread seemed to believe that I could just continue to play if I chose to, so an explanation was in order.

I'd also like to point out that if I just wanted to solve in the easiest way possible for me, there'd be at least a dozen more comfortable ways to go about it, like signing off via pm, staying in the tournament and playing the matches without trying, letting someone else play them for me, leaving the forum without explanation, or really anything else but opening a public thread where I openly explain my situation, leave the final decision to Qvist, and give every single member of the forum the chance to weigh judgement.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2015, 05:34:02 pm »
+4

Dropping out of the League mid-season is definitely an annoyance to those affected, but I don't think it's rude to drop out of the World Cup.

Dropping of the League mid-season is an inconvenience to either the players the person dropping out played against or to the ones that weren't played against, depending on how dropouts are handled.

In the World Cup though, everyone should be acting in the best interest of the team, mainly by giving the team the best odds of winning. If Silverspawn feels that a substitute can play better than him in his current state, then by all means make the swap. That's what sub's are for isn't it? Feeling like you're weighing down the team is an awful feeling. The opposing teams don't miss out on games because of a substitution. The only real inconvenience comes from how Silverspawn was previously the captain for the team, so the replacement has to take on that responsibility.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2015, 05:41:30 pm »
+1

leave the final decision to Qvist

The final decision is yours not mine. Do whatever you like. If you want to drop out, do it. We have replacement. It would be a totally different story if we didn't have any replacement.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2015, 06:01:00 pm »
+2

The issue isn't your lack of interest in Dominion, nor is it your recent losses or how they happened. This is about you making a commitment to everyone involved in this competition and not fulfilling this commitment. Go ahead and stop playing Dominion, you can do whatever you want with your life. But what you're doing right now is selfish. It's all about you and not about anybody else. Yes, I understand we're talking about board games here but it's more than that. You made a promise to everyone involved and you can't just break that promise whenever you feel like it.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +576
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2015, 06:17:30 pm »
+4

I don't see much of a problem with leaving the World Cup, since there's a clear replacement, and so is probably beneficial to your team. Like someone said, it's a team game, and you're the captain, so can choose to drop yourself, if it's best for the team.

Dominion League is a commitment, the rules clearly state if you think you're not going to play all the games, then don't sign up. Having been in Dominion Leagues where people leave mid-season, it's annoying, and can make the final positions seem unfair if close (for instance, if Mic keeps his 6-0, then is that fair on other people who didn't get the chance to play you, and might have increased their average by doing so). Even if you're playing badly, I think you should see out your match commitment. This isn't really meant to be a direct criticism of you, but more of people leaving the League mid-season in general.

Although I do think that if you're not enjoying Dominion, you should stop playing, I've done it a couple of times and come back, and enjoyed it a lot more when returning.

Best of luck with other things though :)
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2015, 06:39:21 pm »
+4

As far as the League goes, I personally would have preferred if you (and anyone else who drops out of the league) would have resolved this via PMs with the organizers and the people in your group rather than making a public thread.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 2.471 seconds with 21 queries.