Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: My Escape  (Read 17366 times)

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: My Escape
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2015, 07:08:35 pm »
+1

Since everyone's giving their opinions then ...

If you're really not enjoying playing then don't. Make your apologies, leave, and accept some restrictions if you rejoin. It's a game and Dominion will carry on without you. It's not like there are 10 people standing on a cold football pitch waiting for you to join them.

As for the mental side of things ... well you're only depriving yourself of something you enjoy. Sure, you can get frustrated with yourself for not having the focus required for good play, the expectation you have of yourself, but nothing good can come from turning that frustration into rage. You probably can't control your focus right now but you can control the frustration. While you're frustrated you'll never regain your focus. It's quite natural to lose the focus for a while if you plan to play a game like Dominion over a number of years.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2015, 08:03:03 pm »
+1

As far as the League goes, I personally would have preferred if you (and anyone else who drops out of the league) would have resolved this via PMs with the organizers and the people in your group rather than making a public thread.

I agree with this. I don't like all the negativity in public. I guess the only good thing is that more people will now realize what a mess you leave behind if you leave the league mid-season.

We (as in, Adam, group moderator for A) still need to come up with a decision on how to handle this one. Not only has Silverspawn been throwing games against MicQ (turn 3 resignation, really?), he also was 3-0 ahead in a match against DG. So far I still haven't thought of any solution that feels fair. Bwleugh.
Join the Dominion League!

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2015, 09:15:07 pm »
+1

I see no problem leaving mid season if you must. I almost did when stuff got really busy and I had lots of trouble organizing and making it on time to my league matches. But you don't need to give a reason. If you just played your match, then said there are personal reasons why you need to leave (vie PM of course) there wouldn't be a problem. Stef and the people who help run the league are really good at finding solutions to make things the most fair. But this just feels like a call for attention (yeah, we're all giving it to you too). There's no need to resign games for no reason, tell everyone you hate playing poorly and make this a big deal.

I still hope you solve the problem with whatever the problem is, and hope that Stef solves this in the most fair way, which I know he will.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2015, 09:56:30 pm »
+3

As far as the League goes, I personally would have preferred if you (and anyone else who drops out of the league) would have resolved this via PMs with the organizers and the people in your group rather than making a public thread.

I agree with this. I don't like all the negativity in public. I guess the only good thing is that more people will now realize what a mess you leave behind if you leave the league mid-season.

We (as in, Adam, group moderator for A) still need to come up with a decision on how to handle this one. Not only has Silverspawn been throwing games against MicQ (turn 3 resignation, really?), he also was 3-0 ahead in a match against DG. So far I still haven't thought of any solution that feels fair. Bwleugh.

Just put me in Division A and re-play those matches.  Easy points!
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2015, 10:07:28 pm »

I see no problem leaving mid season if you must [...] you don't need to give a reason. [...] Stef and the people who help run the league are really good at finding solutions to make things the most fair.

Well, yeah, let's all dump our garbage on the streets if we really must! I mean, Stef is amazing at Dominion, he'll probably do a remarkable cleaning job too!

Iirc you're quite young and still live with your parents? That could sort of explain why you feel like it's fine to do what you want and take it for granted that things will be taken care of regardless, but you'll find that's not exactly how the world works once you move out of your parental house.

The proper response to Stef volunteering his time to organise the League is gratitude, not entitlement.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2015, 10:39:22 pm »
+5

I see no problem leaving mid season if you must [...] you don't need to give a reason. [...] Stef and the people who help run the league are really good at finding solutions to make things the most fair.

Well, yeah, let's all dump our garbage on the streets if we really must! I mean, Stef is amazing at Dominion, he'll probably do a remarkable cleaning job too!

Iirc you're quite young and still live with your parents? That could sort of explain why you feel like it's fine to do what you want and take it for granted that things will be taken care of regardless, but you'll find that's not exactly how the world works once you move out of your parental house.

The proper response to Stef volunteering his time to organise the League is gratitude, not entitlement.

Yes, I'm 21 and still live with a parent (young, but not 14 years old young). Entitlement? No. I don't feel entitled to this league, to this forum, to my education, to money, to technology. It's all because people are generous and want to help and make others happy and improve the world. These people are good people, and I am very grateful that people like Stef and Theory and my parents do the things they do. Sure, Theory didn't have me in mind when me made the forum, but he had people like me, and you, in mind. But don't make this an attack on me or what I think I may or may not be entitled to.

Of course it's better if silverspawn stays in the league till the end of the season. But I'd rather not play against, or in a division, with someone who is just throwing their games just to get the formality out of the way. I'd rather they leave, making the games I play fun, even if it means the scores may be a tiny bit unfair for this season. All I was saying was that Stef does a good job at running the league. That was a compliment, and also my belief that situations like this can be solved without being rude. Especially without being rude to the people who aren't the cause of it. I believe in Stef's amazing patience for the league and the people in it, and I respect and am grateful that he has given his time for everyone else.

You obviously are ok with being rude, and mildly insulting. Also you're ok with making a quick judgement of me, how I act and how mature or immature I am based on very little. The situation is less than ideal for the league and for the people involved with it. But that doesn't mean we should let our personal feelings about silverspawns behaviour be the deciding factor of what happens. If I had a serious personal matter that made me unable to play in the rest of a season, say I don't know, I just lost my arms, I expect people to take me out and I don't need an explanation. I PM the organizers, and just say I am really sorry for not being able to finish my games but a personal issue is seriously interfering with my life and I simply can not play the league. Unforeseen circumstances happen. This is a good community and I expect honesty from everyone here. Silverspawn should have done the same thing. What his issue is is not your business nor mine nor anyone's but Silverspawn's (he should not have posted it). But that doesn't mean he should be forced to play the league simply because it's a little unfair to you, or because it makes your pass time a little less enjoyable. He should be allowed to leave if he really needs to, and you should be mature enough to cope with the situation. And I believe you are mature enough. People left when I was in the league. I didn't get upset. You are capable of doing that too, everyone here is.

Now, silverspawn did purposely resign games. This is what is probably the most irritating part to the other players. Had he simply left for personal reason I doubt there would be so much of a fuss. But it's the unsportsmanlike nature (well, your definition of unsportsmanlike) that is making you so annoyed. And well, it sucks. But telling me that I think it's ok to dump my garbage on Stef, or telling silverspawn he's a coward isn't going to solve the problem. It'll make it worse. Keep your negative comments to yourself or find a way to say them without being insulting. Unless you just want everyone to get mad at each other. Because maybe that's how you solve problems. I know from my experience (my short, young, entitlement filled experience) that name calling and being pissed at someone who is unreasonable doesn't solve the situation. Finding an alternative way to the best solution works. Stef will find a way to fix this. You, calling silverspawn a coward, will not solve this. It'll make it worse.

Also I apologize because at the end I got close to name calling, which I just said is bad. This thread should be locked, I shouldn't have posted my opinion in the first place, and neither should anyone have really. It should have been a matter between silverspawn and the league organizers. If silverspawn wants to discuss his life's issues, he can make a thread in RSP part of the forum and we can all be angry with each other's opinions there.

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2015, 10:44:35 pm »

I understand that's annoying but I'm a little shocked by the virulence of some of the responses (SCN's particularly).

I actually agree that my post was overly virulent. I had just finished reading a Financial Times columnist calling those Parisian cartoonists "stupid" for drawing provocative pictures, something that awakened more anger in me than I've felt in the last few years combined. I pushed it aside because I had to finish the preparation of Jerni's lesson, during which I came across silverspawn's post which just made the whole thing blow up. Had I encountered the thread now I'd have just upvoted Mic's post and not wasted any more time on the whole thing.

With that being said, I do stand behind the sentiment I expressed and think that focussing on the tone of a response rather than the actual events is a silly diversion--a statement directed as much to myself as it is to you, seeing that what got me worked up in the first place is some idiot's opinion about an event ;)

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2015, 10:54:38 pm »

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 11:12:21 pm by KingZog3 »

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2015, 11:06:05 pm »
+5

Wow. This thread needs to be locked. Immediately.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3227
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2015, 11:14:13 pm »

Well, so, it looks like writing long posts isn't helpful, so I'll just leave some final thoughts.

Ela has dropped out mid season after finishing only 3 games like a week ago, no-one complained, and that was the only standard I had, so I was sure that dropping out of the leauge would be no problem.

As far as the world cup goes, I was trying to be selfless, my guess was that leaving was better for the rest of the cup, but I wasn't sure, so I was trying to explain the situation and leave the choice to others. I decided to do it public in stead of via pm because I was trying to be honest about it. Maybe that's naive, but that's what happened. If I had known how much negative response the thread would cause, I wouldn't have done it. It was clearly the wrong choice in retrospect.

Everything else was me responding to what I felt were personal attacks.

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2015, 11:23:29 pm »

tl;dr

Mmmm thanks.

EDIT: Actually, it's not ok to make a judgement on me and then not care about my response. You don't get the right to be rude and then not get to hear what I have to say, even if it does take 5 minutes to read.

Two things:

1. silverspawn dropping out clearly isn't just between him and the organisation, it directly affects the current Division A and indirectly everyone else because how it's handled will set a precedent for the future. Naturally people who care a lot about the integrity of the league will have a strong opinion about it. Forums happen to be there to express such opinions ;)

2. Don't take things so personal. Reread my post to which you responded until you realise I was responding to a particular sentiment, not to you as a human being. Perhaps I should have left out the second paragraph, but the question mark at the end of the first sentence clearly implies that the whole thing was conditional on that question being answered affirmitavely. Turns out I was wrong, sorry!

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2015, 11:31:31 pm »
+1

You were responding to a sentiment I seemed to express. The way you phrased to it was directed at me. But I believe you that you weren't trying to attack me. It's all good.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2015, 11:38:20 pm »
+4

1. silverspawn dropping out clearly isn't just between him and the organisation, it directly affects the current Division A and indirectly everyone else because how it's handled will set a precedent for the future. Naturally people who care a lot about the integrity of the league will have a strong opinion about it. Forums happen to be there to express such opinions ;)

As the person ultimately responsible for making the decision here, I'd rather people not publicly state and talk about their opinions over what I should do. I'm going to do what I think is best in this particular situation, and the implication that other similar situations may be handled the same way in the future, and that I'm going to be able to come up with something that's perfect for this situation (news flash: that's not possible) is something that can only undermine my authority as a moderator.

The more this gets talked about, the less comfortable I am in my position, so I disagree. After seeing the way this turned out, I'm inclined to say that it's a good idea for people who want to leave the league in the middle of the season to do so privately.

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2015, 12:11:39 am »
+1

As the person ultimately responsible for making the decision here, I'd rather people not publicly state and talk about their opinions over what I should do. I'm going to do what I think is best in this particular situation, and the implication that other similar situations may be handled the same way in the future, and that I'm going to be able to come up with something that's perfect for this situation (news flash: that's not possible) is something that can only undermine my authority as a moderator.

The more this gets talked about, the less comfortable I am in my position, so I disagree. After seeing the way this turned out, I'm inclined to say that it's a good idea for people who want to leave the league in the middle of the season to do so privately.

I understand this and certainly don't envy you. Unfortunately, the discomfort you experience just comes with having public responsibility. I imagine that a judge appointed to a very controversial case getting nationwide attention also feels added pressure from the coverage, but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing that people talk about it.

Knowing what "normal people" in the league actually think and taking that into account can only lead to a better decision (that is, one that most people can live with), so I really wouldn't like to see this sort of stuff go private.

I don't think you have to worry much about your authority. People understand the difficulty of your position and will almost certainly be quite forgiving of many imperfections as long as the solution seems somewhat fair. Personally I'd much rather live in a democracy with laws I disagree with than in a dictatorship that has its laws arranged exactly as I want them to.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2015, 12:27:06 am »
+14

No one can force silverspawn to play.  Maybe he just needs a break -- maybe the issue will resolve itself if he takes a mental break.  Maybe he won't.  But the answer is certainly not more invective.  That doesn't help anything.

I won't lock this thread yet but please remember to keep things courteous and civil.  I've sent out a few PMs and would prefer not to send out any more.

Monsieur X

• Bishop
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2015, 11:18:20 am »

Wow. This thread needs to be locked. Immediately.

I agree. Can we stop that. When i see there are 40 messages to speak about silverspawn resignation (and i write the number 41...) and 10 about World cup results it seems a bit strange...
Why one player of a tournament should focus more attention that the tournament itself???

1/ We stop the thread
2/ In world cup, silverspawn you speak with you team (not in a thread) . If you resign you pm Qvist.
3/ In dominion league, if you resign, you pm Adam and Stef.
And that's all.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2015, 11:45:05 am »
+2

Threads should only be locked when the discussion has gotten completely out of hand. People are still being (relatively) civil, so I think it should be left open. Whether the thread should have been made in the first place or whether it should have gotten so much attention is another discussion entirely.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2015, 11:47:59 am »
+1

When I made that post, things were escalating rapidly and I was worried they were going to get out of hand. I'm glad to see that didn't happen. +1s have been given appropriately to reflect this  :P

I have an itchy trigger finger, what can I say?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2015, 12:04:03 pm »

I haven't followed 100%, but would a possible replacement help to resolve the issue?  Is there a problem with needing to find someone with the same skill level as Silverspawn?

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2015, 01:11:31 pm »
+3

Since everyone seems to be on this thread, I thought I'd pop in and give my opinion too.

1. Silverspawn quits League.
This is not unprecedented, and there are already established penalties, so it's fine. Probably doesn't need a thread but whatever. Yeah it hasn't happened in division A before, so those people are more upset. They expect a greater level of commitment. Fine; they can complain in the thread. Doesn't really change anything.

2. Silverspawn doesn't want to play in World Cup anymore and wants to know what he should do.
This should have been a separate thread, since actual solution suggestions are just getting washed out by the complaints about quitting that could just live in the other thread. I imagine it shouldn't be hard to get a replacement, and everyone would be happier with the replacement than with Silverspawn, so I don't think this should be a problem. It's disappointing, but whatever. Nothing too serious is at stake.

3. Complaining.
Why not? It's the internet. What else are we supposed to do? Boo quitters. You guys ruin things for everyone.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2015, 01:30:30 pm »
+3

Since everyone seems to be on this thread

3. Complaining.
Why not? It's the internet. What else are we supposed to do?

Yeah, like, it is so annoying! The Internet was better when people complained less.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2015, 01:33:22 pm »
+4

This whole thing got blown way out of proportion way too fast.

I've been bummed out by Dominion before and took a breather for a few months. I realized that it wasn't Dominion bumming me out, but life in general - my work was boring and my boss a pain in the ass.

And it seemed to me SilverSpawn just wanted to do the right thing by leaving. Forcing himself to play wasn't going to solve anything. It would have turned into much more negative experiences. And just saying "man up" is way too easy.

I'm a football/soccer player myself and I'd rather play with 10 guys who really want to be there than have 1 rotten egg who doesn't.

And how hard is it really to fix the league? Can't you just scratch every match he played?
And finding a replacement for the world cup shouldn't be too hard either.

I wish you best of luck, SilverSpawn, dropping out and getting a new perspective on things can certainly help. Dominion is just a silly game we like to play, nothing else.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2015, 02:53:38 pm »
+4

As part of the reason why Silverspawn decided to drop out in the first place, I should probably give my two cents.

So yeah, I dropped out too. I couldn't handle losing in a competitively ranked setting, and I decided to start avoiding the league entirely until I could. I know it's a selfish decision and that I only did it to save face, but no one wants to play with someone who will throw fits if you beat her enough times. And I know I've said this a lot but I'm really grateful to the f.ds community for being supportive of my decisions even though you disagree with them.

Which is why I'm concerned about the backlash happening in this thread. I mean, yes, there are some huge differences. In division E, you can only go up, whereas in division A, you can only go down. I've only been here for a few months, whereas Silverspawn is a long-standing forum member. And it doesn't look like he sent anybody PMs before starting this thread, like I did. (I actually waited for a reply from Stef before making my announcement public.) So I'm not sure what to say here. Agreeing with the negative responses would be hypocritical. After all, I know where Silverspawn is coming from. At the same time, I have to say that this could have been handled better. He doesn't seem to want to improve on anything, for long-term or short-term purposes. You can withdraw if you don't think people will like playing with you, but in doing so you should want to find a way to make people like playing with you. And I'm sure that playing more in general would help the performance issues. The loss of fun is a problem though. I'm leaving the league but I'm still going to play Dominion, because I really do enjoy it. If Silverspawn doesn't enjoy it, I don't know what to do.

Tl;dr: I can see both sides and I can't really offer any help. Drop out if you want, but don't think that that's going to solve all your problems. I certainly know it won't solve all mine.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2015, 07:03:18 pm »

Where is hvb by the way?

(Sorry for this question being utterly unrelated)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 20 queries.